Search for a new mattress, leaving Purple, Need suggestions! 04 Feb 2021 08:41 #1

Hello Everyone,

I need some help, to be quite honest. Long story as short as possible... We bought a purple mattress nearly 3 years ago, and highly regret it. My wife was pregnant, it solved her problems, but created new ones for me, and now that she is no longer pregnant and lost the weight---she hates the bed. Our prior bed that we loved, was a Beautyrest from Mattress Firm, some 10 years ago. My only complaint was it wasn't a king (for when I got married) and it slept a bit warm. (If it helps I can get more info off the label as its our guest bed now). We had a separate King given to us, it was a Macy's brand, that was okay, but slept very warm and was indented pretty good by a much larger person before we inherited it. We definitely need the space of a King though.

We have been slowly researching, reading, etc--and found that the Temperpedic Breeze (Soft) feels pretty darn good to us as both the other beds we have are more plush then the Purple Mattress, by at least 2 points on a 10 scale. But I feel I am buying into a brand and paying a premium, and less buying into something unique at this point. The more I read on Temperpedic on Mattress Underground, that only seems to confirm my opinion. I stumbled on GhostBed a few days ago, and have been reading up on it, but found that it is likely more firm than what we need, as it seems to have a firmness closer to the Purple (though appears to have many improvements in approach).

About Us, and our desire:
- 37 and 38 yr old
- I am a side sleeper 100%
- Wife is 80% side sleeper, 20% back sleeper.
- I am 8'1 @ 180lbs
- She is 5' @ below my weight. :)

Ultimately at a high level our desires are this:
1. Good warranty
2. Fairly cool bed (similar or better than the original Purple).
3. Plush (4-6 out of 10, assuming a Purple is a 7)
4. Can be on an adjustable base (we have one)
5. Helps reduce our pressure points. (I have them in hip and shoulder, wife gets them in back).

We don't have anywhere in Orlando (34787) that we know of to experience Latex (that I have found), nor a company that isn't just peddling the big names of Sealy, Temperpedic, Sleep Number, Beauty Rest, you get it. I am in Orlando (zip: 34787), and cant seem to find many local small shop "i know my stuff" mattress companies. We do have an "Original Mattress Factory", but my parents went that route---and it didn't go well and resulted in mattress toppers. Oh and I have a 2 year old, making mattress shopping not easy even when we go into the big box stores!. :(

Suggestions/thoughts appreciated!

Note: as for materials, all mattress toppers I bought in the 100-300 range from Amazon, trying to make the purple---better, resulted in me in sweats. They just don't breathe. Not sure if that helps guide recommendations, but it is my experience. Memory Topper with "gel swirls" and all the like to "keep it cool" just failed me after a short period of time.

Thanks!

Search for a new mattress, leaving Purple, Need suggestions! 04 Feb 2021 16:53 #2

And I just stumbled upon: www.myisense.com/ which seems quite interesting as well....

I'm at a loss, this is exhausting!. hah

Search for a new mattress, leaving Purple, Need suggestions! 06 Feb 2021 13:43 #3

Ok, so upon further review, seems myISense isn't very plush even at low levels... makes sense, as its adjustability is purely in the center... (I read this on reddit).

So I am now looking at av ariety of beds..
1. Nola Signature 12
2. Brentwood - Oceano Luxury Hybrid (This one worries me because they claim "cooling gel" but everytime I use a mattress topper (2-3in) I find I am sweating in the middle of the night).
3. Nest - Alexander Signature Hybrid - Plush or Medium (leaning Medium)
4. WinkBeds - GravityLux in Soft
5. Plushbeds - Luxury Bliss Natural Latex (but I have zero latex experience), and doesnt seem as plush as a temperedic is (which we like).

It seems they all have reasonable cooling, and are good for pressure relief for side-sleepers. They all sit at $2k or less, which is great too.

Ill keep updating based on research, its just... mentally exhausting!.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Search for a new mattress, leaving Purple, Need suggestions! 06 Feb 2021 14:37 #4

So, removing WinkBeds out, for questionable durability.

But along with #5.... That puts SleepEz into the mix. SleepEz chat was super quick, and so they found a place I can experiment with latex. So that might be a tomorrow trip! Not sure how I like the sound of "sleeping on Jello".

Search for a new mattress, leaving Purple, Need suggestions! 06 Feb 2021 14:48 #5

Hi darrylb.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :) I am sorry to hear of your discomfort on your Purple Mattress.

There are many fans of the older Simmons Beauty Rest mattresses! Their more "traditional" construction of a quilted top innerspring mattress was popular in the old days. Do. you happen to remember which model of Beauty Rest it was? I would be interested to see if we can find the layer specifications.

Just for the sake of reference ... the materials in the Tempurpedic Breeze are as follows ...
Quilt
Tempur-Breeze & Microsuede
100% Polyester
Comfort / transition Layers
2" TEMPUR-ES comfort layer 4.1 LB
2" TEMPUR Support Layer 5.3 LB
Support System Polyfoam core (Dual Airflow System)
3.5" Airflow Baselayer 2.2lb
3.5" Airflow Baselayer 2.2lb

While this mattress would not have any weak links in terms of durability for you and your wife’s BMI, compared to many mattresses made by smaller manufacturers ... there is nothing special about this Tempurpedic line outside of their name recognition and the amount of advertising they do. You can see some of my general thoughts about Tempurpedic in post #10 here and the posts it links to and while for the most part they do use good quality materials ... for most people they certainly wouldn't be in the best value range compared to many other similar mattresses that use the same or similar quality materials (or sometimes better quality) and are in much lower price ranges.

The most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability (which is all about how long you will sleep well) and in terms of durability, a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality and durability of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label.

About Us, and our desire:
- 37 and 38 yr old
- I am a side sleeper 100%
- Wife is 80% side sleeper, 20% back sleeper.
- I am 8'1 @ 180lbs
- She is 5' @ below my weight.

As you are both side sleepers , a good starting point for a good comfort layer for is 3" and then depending on weight, body shape, preferences, and the firmness of the support layers, to go up or down from there. Most side sleepers will fall in the range of from 2" - 4". And because you are both within a BMI of 20 - 30 II assume this is true of your wife, since I don't know her weight) and are considering mattresses with poly or memory foam in the comfort layers, I would keep these recommendations in mind:

- Polyurethane foam (often called polyfoam): If your mattress is one-sided then I would make sure that the density of any polyfoam is at least 1.8 lb per cubic foot or higher. If the mattress is two-sided then I would use a minimum foam density of 1.5 lbs per cubic foot or higher.
- Memory foam (or gel memory foam): If your mattress is one-sided then I would make sure that any memory foam is at least 4 lb per cubic foot. If the mattress is two-sided then I would use a minimum density of 3 lbs per cubic foot.

Ultimately at a high level our desires are this:
1. Good warranty
2. Fairly cool bed (similar or better than the original Purple).
3. Plush (4-6 out of 10, assuming a Purple is a 7)
4. Can be on an adjustable base (we have one)

I always have a hard time pointing people in the right direction because definitions of soft and firm can very so much, especially in regards to support. Firmness and support really aren't as tied together as it may seem. For example, there are foams that that very soft (between 10-16 IFD) but actually have higher support than foams with higher IFDs.

Additionally, comparing the softness/firmness of a mattress you might consider with another mattress on the market no matter how widely available might be is no possible (except in general terms) because a mattress wok as a whole and in combination with the individuals sleeping on the.

So, I’d say a firmness rating scale is unreliable at worst and at best only possible as an internal way to compare mattresses made by the same company or/and … tested by the same individuals. To give you a quick example someone with an “hour-glass” and very curvy body profile which are also is sleeping on their side might have trouble with most mattresses even in soft configuration. You can see this 3-page more extreme alignment/pressure points real case scenario we currently have in progress to give you an idea of how different the perception of softness/firmness can be from person to person

As you are considering a GhostBed, I would suggest reaching out to or visiting them so they can help with making the best comfort/support choice. If they are given your stats and information about your body types, sleeping styles, general preferences and history, some general information about mattresses you have tested and done well with, and any other specific information or circumstances that could affect your choice of a mattress, they'll be able to help guide you.

As you mentioned that you slept hot on all toppers you purchased (which I suspect were memory foam variations) you may wish to consider a mattress that has latex in the comfort layer as it tends to sleep the coolest of all the foams and offers the "plush" feel that many desire while offering secondary support and reducing pressure points.

Additionally, I am not sure if you came across some of our posts that discuss temperature regulations issues, but you can read more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here more about tracking mattress temperature regulation issues potential causes ~ Post #2 here (at least to the degree possible for a specific mattress) and the posts it links to that may be helpful. You may also be interested in the information in post #29 about temperature regulation and mattress microclimate.

As far as warranties go, they only cover defects in a mattress which are generally defined as visible impressions that are more than a specified amount when there is no weight on the mattress (normally from .75" to 2") and don't cover changes in the firmness of the materials and the loss of comfort and support which is the biggest reason that you will need to replace a mattress. This I would put more stock in the return/trial policies of any company you may be considering.

Fox Mattress specializes in sleeping cool as well as temperature and humidity regulation, and they offer latex (amongst other) options. They are located about 90 minutes away from where you are.
GhostBed has a showroom about 3 hours from you, but doesn't offer latex...but you would be able to test their mattresses in person which is a plus.
Luma Sleep offers latex and hybrid options while their HQ are about an hour from where you are., they don’t have a showroom any longer. You may want to call them or ask questions directly on LumaSleep dedicated forum on TMU

I'm at a loss, this is exhausting!. hah

There is no shortcut to doing this fast and ensuring the mattress is a good fit. The good news is that if you do it right then you don't have to worry about it for the next decade or even more. I know it isn't quite that straight forward and "linear" to select a mattress. There is a lot of contradictory and confusing information. I would step back a bit and would not add more mattresses to your list. it is easy to get into an impulse shopping mode and select something based on cleverly crafted advertising verbiage. and first, try to understand a bit more your needs and preferences. I am saying this as I am noticing that you selected a very wide range of mattress types and materials. Once you determine what type of mattress and materials you prefer and need you can use new criteria to eliminate and narrow your mattress search based on these criteria. Then you can apply a second and very important criteria of "durability" .. eliminate all mattresses that do not meet the durability guidelines for my BMI .... then a third "temperature regulation" e.g. eliminate all mattresses that have the potential to sleep hot... and so on. But that is all covered in the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices ... and know how and why to avoid the worst ones which would include the major brands such as Serta or any mattress where you aren't able to find out the quality of the materials inside it. When assessing any product, also be sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

I hope this helps you as you continue in your research. I look forward to progress reports or future questions

Phoenix.

Last edit: by phoenix.

Search for a new mattress, leaving Purple, Need suggestions! 06 Feb 2021 16:53 #6

Whoah, thank you for such a rich reply!

You are actually hitting on some key observations I was making myself. The list kept getting longer, and the confusion was growing, which is not good.

Ill check the tag of the mattress upstairs for the model. My only complaint really, was it was warn down, and just a bit hotter than ideal. Funny thing is, MattressFirm even mentioned people love the pervious BeautyRest mattresses as well--seems to be a common theme.

You mentioned side sleepers and BMI:
I did see a typo, I am 6'1 @ 180 (not 8'1), and for completeness, shes 5' @ 120(ish). We have pretty standard frames, and keep pretty healthy.

I will read throug that active-thread on alignment on pressure points asap!.

Yes, all my toppers were memory foam variants. It was this, that made me start thinking I needed latex of some form, even if its only a bit. We did love a (i think it was) 3inch topper, and how it felt--but I felt like I was also in a sauna within 30minutes. So we definately like a plush bed. We dont like how difficult movement is, once you get to the 3inch foams though. (By itself).

As far as Temperpedic goes, I had found that Post you linked, and had made the same discovery and assumptions, before you approved me to this forum. So I was happy about that, its ultimately buying into a brand name.

As for mattress foundation/microclimate we use an adjustable base, very very heavy/strong one, and we use cooling sheets such as Sheex. (We have two of their cooling types) and have used Bamboo sheets with some decent luck. Often I find myself sleeping without a comforter even on the purple bed, during our Orlando summers. (With ceiling fan on, room temperature at 73)

I did see Fox Mattress, and it is a hike with a 2yr old---but it may be the best chance we have to experience a variety of options, and start figuring out what we like.

Thank you so much for your reply, and supporting this forum as a whole. It is a treasure-trove of never-ending information.

Search for a new mattress, leaving Purple, Need suggestions! 07 Feb 2021 13:03 #7

Hi darrylb.

You are most welcome and thanks for your appreciation. :)

I look forward to seeing you getting on the "straight and narrow" with the mattress selection once you had a chance to peruse the additional information I included above.
Keep us posted!

Phoenis

Search for a new mattress, leaving Purple, Need suggestions! 07 Feb 2021 15:42 #8

So, we did the hike to Fox Mattress today, and I can see why they are highly recommended. Chelsea (daughter of the owners), was extremely helpful. Chelsea and I spoke a few minutes, and I filled her in on our challenges. About the third mattress she showed us, was the Key West which was the most plush one they had on the floor. Its layers were basically:

Quilted Cotton Cover
Talalay Latex
High Density 3LB Super Soft Density Preserve Foam
High Density 3LB Density Preserve Foam
Quantum Coil

It felt extremely close to the high end Temperpedic we were originally interested in, probably overall better material, and at 1/3 off. We believe in the product far more as well. My wife and my spine seemed much more straight in this bed, than others as well, which was a good sign.

I primarily run into 3 concerns with this mattress:
1. Will it sleep hotter than my current mattress? (Purple classic)
2. Will it help relieve my shoulder pain? (It doesn't appear so, but it was <better> than the purple.) Note: I think my shoulder pains for the last decade plus, have been because I sit at a computer all day...and ergonomics are beating me up badly.
3. They do not have a return policy, it is a 90 day comfort exchange. So, they would try to customize it further--but Chelsea did admit, that there wasn't much they could do around the shoulder area which is my main concern. But she did indicate it would soften up a bit compared to the floor model.

As I go through the checklist, this mattress seems to be moving in the right direction.
1. Feel: The Latex + Topper seemed to be right for us. We tried alternatives including a pure latex, but that was rejected instantly by the wife the moment she laid on it.
2. Material: It uses High Density 3LB foams, and talalay latex
3. Cooling: Coils on the bottom, and highly breathable Latex---I believe is a win
4. Cost: 1/3 less than the Temperpedic

Thoughts on my concerns? Or feedback in the thought process?

Thanks!

Search for a new mattress, leaving Purple, Need suggestions! 07 Feb 2021 16:42 #9

Additional information based on prior questions.

The three mattresses we have:
1. Purple (current): Sleeps reasonably temperature neutral, way too firm, trigger points shoulder, hip for me, and back/neck for wife.
2. Chattam & Wells Luxe IV: (Previous Bed), King size but was 'inherited' from a single man that was over 300lbs, and 'wore it down' a bit before we received it. Now one whole side feels VERY deep for me (firm and uncomfortable), but we used it for over a year before it broke down that much. Wife likes the softer side that wasn't worn down, she sleeps warm in it in summer, fine in it now (Florida "winter").
3. Simmons Beautyrest (My original mattress) Manufactured 12/08. I cant find the tag with the name, but it is a Model: M20915.70.7472 Prototype ID: MPD101, MPD583, MPD490. This mattress still not bad at all, too small, sleeps pretty warm.

Search for a new mattress, leaving Purple, Need suggestions! 07 Feb 2021 16:45 #10

And last comment, all 3 are here because we use them as guest bedrooms. So wife has been experimenting on them a bit to realize we prefer softer beds. We will likely phase the Chattam out first when we have a new mattress.