Need suggestions/comments/corrections/ inputs on the Latex mattress setup 15 Feb 2021 16:38 #1

We are young couple in early 30s and want to have decent firmness. No motion transfer disturbance and edge support are pretty much we want to focus on, along with little firmness, as we dont want to sink in bed. I am mostly side sleeper(90%) and back sleeper(10%), while my wife is stomach sleeper (60%) and side sleeper(40%).

Comfort 2": 20 ILD soft Earthfoam natural latex from SleepOnLatex(to avoid bouncy of Talalay)
Comfort 2": 30-32 ILD Soft Natural Dunlop from Sleepez
Support 3": 37-40 ILD Firm Dunlop from Sleepez
Support 3": 44 ILD Extra Firm Dunlop from Sleepez

Kindly share your feedback on this.

Regards,
Tom.

Last edit: by tomk.

Need suggestions/comments/corrections/ inputs on the Latex mattress setup 16 Feb 2021 08:13 #2

That's interesting that you mention earthfoam latex. I bought 1" Dunlop latex from sleep on latex a year ago and the holes did not go all the way through. I bought another 1" from sleep on latex a month ago and the holes went all the way through & it seemed different than the older topper. I wonder if this has to do with a switch to the earthfoam process or just a difference in batches as happens sometimes?

Need suggestions/comments/corrections/ inputs on the Latex mattress setup 16 Feb 2021 20:26 #3

Hey.. glad you do have earth foam 1" topper. Can you please comment on kr recent purchase
Is it too bouncy or decently good enough??

Need suggestions/comments/corrections/ inputs on the Latex mattress setup 22 Feb 2021 15:37 #4

tomk wrote: Thanks Phoenix for sharing very possible details on the mattresses. This is really very helpful. I am planning to go for Latex mattresses and have come up with the following construction design. Kindly review and let us know your thoughts on this.

Comfort 2": 30-32 ILD Soft Natural Dunlop from Sleepez
Support 3": 37-40 ILD Firm Dunlop from Sleepez
Support 3": 44 ILD Extra Firm Dunlop from Sleepez

Kindly share your feedback on this.

Regards,
Tom.

A gentle reminder :)
@66-phoenix

Need suggestions/comments/corrections/ inputs on the Latex mattress setup 23 Feb 2021 13:15 #5

How much do you both weigh (individually)?

Need suggestions/comments/corrections/ inputs on the Latex mattress setup 23 Feb 2021 16:07 #6

benjammin wrote: How much do you both weigh (individually)?

Oh.. missed that key point. I am 5'6 130 lb and my wife is 4'9 93 lb

Need suggestions/comments/corrections/ inputs on the Latex mattress setup 23 Feb 2021 16:08 #7

Hi tomk.

It seems that your post got lost in the C2C chatter which can easily happen with so much forum activity, Tks for your frienly reminder. :)

Thank you for sharing your sleeping positions and the configuration you are considering for your bed. One bit of information that you did not provide is “specs" about you and your wife’s body type and BMI which are also an important part of how each person interacts with the mattress. I’d also keep in mind that there are many different types of layering combinations that can perform equally well for people of a certain height and weight and sleeping style You may want to peruse some of the general weight and height guidelines here, general guidelines about sleeping positions here, and some information about how different types of layering can change and affect these guidelines in this section of the site. These of course are general guidelines and starting points which is the case with “designing” or “recommending” a specific mattress based on what I call "theory at a distance”

You listed a few preferences … such as “not sinking in” and "decent firmness. No motion transfer disturbance and edge support” In the right configuration and “in theory” an all latex mattress would fit your criteria but there are some other variables as well. Latex is, as you likely already know, is responsive and a good choice for both primary and secondary support without and given the correct ILD in the comfort layers for your BMI you’d avoid the "sinking" or "the stuck in the sand" feeling you may get when sleeping on a memory foam comfort layer.

At first glance, I see no issue with your configuration. A 10” thickness can work well for combination sleeping positions.\

Three of the layers you are considering are from Sleep EZ so you most likely are aware that they are both Trusted members of our site and a TMU mattress expert with their own dedicated forum . We think very highly of them and based on the high level of success they’ve had with not only offering quality products at a very competitive price point but also with successfully matching a mattress or custom construction with the sleeper(s) I believe they compete well with among the best in the industry. In other words ... connecting with the experts that already provide you with most of the componentry …who also already know the specs and information that you would otherwise have to learn is much more effective than "becoming" an expert yourself or focusing on more technical details that can easily become overwhelming. With good help and guidance ... your body and your "helper" will tell you which layer combo could be is best for you and your wife.

Also, have you also considered the type of cover and support under the bed that you’d need?

Let us know of your eventual decisions and additional questions as you move forward with your DIY.

Need suggestions/comments/corrections/ inputs on the Latex mattress setup 23 Feb 2021 16:32 #8

My wife and I have been sleeping on a serta Perfect Sleeper for a week and it felt great from day 1. I am about 5'4 245lbs and have a combination of muscle mass from all the years I bodybuilded and fat. I can sleep on anything and I will feel fine next day, my wife though has chronic back pain so I got the mattress for her. She is about 5'4 125lbs. Although our Perfect sleeper is rated as plush medium it feels very firm compared to our 40 year old mattress that gave my wife back pains. Unlike my wife I can sleep on cement or a soft pillow and my back will still feel great the next day.

Need suggestions/comments/corrections/ inputs on the Latex mattress setup 24 Feb 2021 21:28 #9

phoenix wrote:

My bad, I missed this key parameter. I am 5'6 130 lb and my wife is 4'9 93 lb. I change positions a lot during sleep(side sleeping) while my wife doesn't move much(stomach sleeper). We are choosing thinner comfort layer 2" with 20 ILD on top of 30-32 comfort layer because it might help in forming a cradle.
Also, as side sleeper, i mostly sleep in fetal position with arms under the head and my wife is mostly flatter. . As I read this "In curvier sleeping positions and with curvier body profiles, there are more "gaps" to fill in to spread your weight over the mattress which means you will need a softer and thicker comfort layer". To balance between lighter weights and curvier body profile, we have chose those comfort layers.
We assume our layer is progressive, as upper comfort layers are generally thinner 2 " and softer and need to "borrow" from the support layers beneath to form a cradle and relieve pressure. Kindly confirm.

No, we have not considered any type of cover for now. We thought to keep these toppers in any of the cotton percale sheet.
Regarding support for Bed, we have king size wooden platted support.

Please let us know your thoughts.

Thanks,
TomK.

Need suggestions/comments/corrections/ inputs on the Latex mattress setup 26 Feb 2021 23:01 #10

Hi tomk.

Thank you for the additional information.

Both you and your wife are in the Normal BMI range and you would not need too much thickness to get the cradle needed for your side sleeping position. As your wife is mostly (60%) stomach sleeper it can be a “hit and miss” so I’d pay special attention. In general stomach sleepers need the thinnest comfort layer, back sleeping is in the middle, and side sleepers need the thickest comfort layer. It is rare that anyone ... even a side sleeper ... would need more than 4" in a comfort layer. Stomach sleeping is a common source of back issues as stomach sleepers tend to sleep in a "swayback" position, especially if their comfort layer is more than an inch (or at most two) or if their support layer is too soft.
For your wife’s stomach sleeping position you may wish to review the guidelines in this Sleep Positions Article [url] so that she avoids being hyperextended in a swayback position that can cause back issues.

This is correct! Latex has an excellent point elasticity which means that it is not only very elastic (will return to its original shape) but that it can be compressed in a very small area without affecting or compressing the area beside it. This gives it the ability to instantly form a pressure-relieving cradle that takes on the exact shape of the body.

While there is no way to know for sure if this is the best configuration for both you and your wife (as only you can feel what you feel on a mattress) this configuration could work well. I’d still pay attention to your wife’s prone sleeping position especially as she is also quite petite and would not need that much thickness. (You listed Comfort 2"Dunlop : at 30-32 ILD which would be a medium-firm (depending on the manufacturer) not “soft” as it shows in your initial configuration. )

Regarding support for Bed, we have king size wooden platted support.

For your platted foundation I’d make sure that it has enough supportive surface to make sure that the latex doesn't sink through any gaps and that the base is strong enough with center support for a kig bed. Normally a slatted wood base with solid slats that are no more than 3" apart (or preferably less) is best for latex.

All in all, it sounds like you have been thorough in your research and thoughtful in selecting your layers. The upside to a DIY is that even if things don't quite go as planned in your first attempt, you have the flexibility to experiment with layers until you find your perfect configuration.