Best sub-$200 platform bed foundation? 06 Jul 2021 20:15 #1

I found a good local manufacturer in NYC, "AA Bedding," in Queens. Their most basic innerspring mattress is $300 for the mattress alone shipped, or $380 for a faux "box spring" included.

I want to keep the overall build sub-$500. My goal is a bed that can last 3 years while I figure my life out and move around once or maybe twice. I want a platform, and am leaning heavily towards a "wire" fold-able foundation. I know Brooklyn bedding makes one, as does Malouf.

Brooklyn: brooklynbedding.com/products/high-rise-platform?variant=32591000698925

Malouf: www.mattressfirm.com/mattress-firm/deluxe-raised-metal-platform-frame-easy-assembly/mfi121841.html?cgid=Bed-Frames#start=1

Can anyone recommend either of these or anything else I should know about? Many thanks.

Best sub-$200 platform bed foundation? 09 Jul 2021 09:42 #2

Hey bedlambilly,

Welcome to The Mattress Underground :) ! Thanks for your question.

Congrats on your new mattress shopping adventure :) ! What size mattress are you buying? When purchasing an inexpensive mattress, keep in mind that whether it will last 3 years or possibly longer will depend on the user(s) of the mattress and how the mattress is cared for. Do you mind sharing the height, weight, body type, and sleeping position(s) for you and for any other users? The personal stats of those using the mattress relate directly to its durability potential and therefore important to consider.

Thanks for including the product links for review :) . Brooklyn Bedding's Super Duty High Rise Platform provides a sturdy center support, as well as 13.75" of storage beneath. The site says that will support up to 1,500 lbs. of evenly supported weight, so it should pair well with the basic innerspring mattress you describe.

Malouf's Deluxe Raised Metal Platform Frame is quite similar to BB's design, with a slightly lower profile, offering 13" of storage space beneath. Its weight capacity , however, is considerably different and only half of that the Brooklyn Bedding platform offers or less depending on the frame's size. In other words, for higher BMI individuals, Brooklyn Bedding's platform supports more combined weight than Malouf's platform.

You may want to check out TMU trusted member Magic Sleeper's Metal Platform Bed , it is a better value and quite close in design: 14" high and supports a max weight of 750 lbs. in any of its available sizes. BTW, did AA Bedding offer any suggestions for which metal platform would pair best with their mattress? Good luck with your research and let us know the results of your final setup ;) .

Sensei
Sensei(@ TMU Team)

Best sub-$200 platform bed foundation? 09 Jul 2021 10:10 #3

Thanks for the response, Sensei!!!

I'm buying a full size mattress. I'm 145 pounds and a back sleeper, and my girlfriend is 125 pounds and usually sleeps on her side but also on her back. She's not over too often because she lives several hours upstate, and she doesn't have a car yet. Without meaning to sound vulgar, I want a frame that can handle some occasional "extracurricular activity".

The mattress stats are: 312 coil count, bonnell springs, 13-gauge steel, about 9" thick, damask fabric. The manufacturer claims it should last up to 10 years but for the price and my life situation I don't expect to keep it that long. (He also makes the "Body massage", 364 coil count, bonnell springs, 13-gauge steel, about 13" thick; it's $480 shipped which is a bit more than I want to spend for my current build.)

I am glad you linked the Magic Sleeper wire platform. According to the Amazon link, it only has a 750-lb weight capacity. The Brooklyn platform foundation is currently on sale for about $112 for a full-size -- I was wondering if the extra weight capacity would help it stand up to non-sleep activities a little better? For an extra $12, I think I'd rather have something a little stronger than I really need.

Lastly, I just spoke to AA Bedding and the owner, Julio, claims that a wire platform should work just fine with his mattresses, and he usually expects them to last about 5 years, which is more than I need.

The only other thing I wanted to ask was, is there any sturdiness benefit to buying a mattress, "box spring" (really just a wood rectangle with sheets stapled to it), and a metal frame like this?

www.magicsleepermattress.com/twin-full-metal-bed-frame.html

Best sub-$200 platform bed foundation? 09 Jul 2021 10:12 #4

The first mattress with the 312 coil count is called the "Tango." I tried it out at the factory and it felt nice -- slightly firm, which was perfect!

Best sub-$200 platform bed foundation? 10 Jul 2021 13:55 #5

Hey bedlambilly,

Thanks for your reply :) .

Thanks for sharing some of both your personal stats, bedlambilly. You and your girlfriend seem of normal BMI ranges, and any of these 3 metal platforms should be fine for your mattress.

Good job on the store visits and on your research; well done! These two models seem to be designed as economical mattress options. As you have already mentioned, your goal is to purchase a short-term mattress that works well for you until you are ready for a more permanent solution. The manufacturer's claim that the mattress should last up to 10 years may reflect the warranty they offer, you could ask about that as it would be good to know regardless of whether you plan to use it that long. If you are shopping for "the most basic innerspring mattress", there is no need to pay more for their Body Massage model if you are on a budget and are keeping costs down. Unless you noticed a significant difference between the comfort and support feel between one versus the other, you should be fine with your first choice.

As to whether this platform will live up to your "extracurricular activity" needs, that's hard to predict bedlambilly. While the Brooklyn Bedding platform supports more weight than the other two platforms, this isn't the same thing as saying that it will load deflect more weight. In any case, if you feel the extra $12 will give you more peace of mind, the upcharge may be worth considering. One caveat: according to BB's site (and is also the case with most manufacturers), sales of foundations and adjustable bed bases are final and non-refundable, as these fondations can generally be used with most mattresses.

www.magicsleepermattress.com/twin-full-metal-bed-frame.html

You can certainly go with a box spring and metal frame if you like; that would be a personal choice and the use of one isn't necessary with the mattress that you're considering. As you are on a budget, decide which of these setups are most price advantageous and go from there.

Good to know that you like the firmness feel of your mattress candidate! I'm looking forward to hearing how things go now that you are closer to your decision ;) .

Sensei
Sensei(@ TMU Team)

Best sub-$200 platform bed foundation? 25 Jul 2021 21:18 #6

I ended up getting the Full-size platform by Magic Mattress. I set it up with a Tango mattress. I have slept extremely well on it. It's perfect. In case anyone wants to know for their own purposes, the platform foundation is holding up just fine to extra-curricular use so far.

Best sub-$200 platform bed foundation? 25 Jul 2021 21:22 #7

Thanks for the pointers, and thanks to everyone on the forums for the information and guides. Cheers!

The Mattress UndergroundCopyright © 2021 The Mattress Underground.