Latex in Little Rock - Take 2 22 Oct 2021 17:16 #1

Hello,
I first visited this forum the spring of 2012 when I was looking for a latex mattress. We successfully purchased one that summer. Fast forward 9.5 years we are looking to replace said latex mattress (which we've LOVED btw)... I found the old post from 2012 that lists the options for vendors but I was hoping to see if there were any updates/changes/deletions in the Little Rock/Central Arkansas area since it is several years old now. Can you shed some light on this for me? Thank you.
Lara

Latex in Little Rock - Take 2 22 Oct 2021 18:37 #2

Hi ZhivagosGirl.

Welcome back to our Mattress Forum. :)

Is the mattress you're looking to replace no longer in production, or are you looking for something new?

I went through Phoenix's list from the post in 2012 and it looks like the last two on that list may no longer be in production (or just bad at social media upkeep). There is also BoxDrop Mattress but I was unable to find much about what they offer. I also found a brick and mortar store called North Little Rock Mattress Center.

They don't appear to have a website, so, again, just a bit in the dark there :)

Are you opposed to ordering a mattress and looking at what our Trusted Members have to offer?

NikkiTMU
Researching for a mattress?... Be sure to read The Mattress Shopping Tutorial. . Click here for TMU Discount Codes if purchasing from Our Trusted Members.

Latex in Little Rock - Take 2 22 Oct 2021 19:55 #3

I have contacted Jordan Brother's about their current Talalay latex mattress. I haven't heard back from them yet. I'm not opposed to buying from them again depending on what the specs are on their current mattress. I just want to keep my options open. I would prefer to buy from a brick and mortar store so I can actually "test drive" the mattress first. Also - I would like a 2 sided mattress - it seems that many these days aren't and if they are they are different firmnesses. I don't want that, I would want the same firmness so I can get double the use out of it.

Latex in Little Rock - Take 2 25 Oct 2021 19:15 #4

Hi ZhivagosGirl.

I appreciate the reply. Keeping options open is never a bad idea.

The different firmness on a 2 sided mattress is frequently seen, you're right! I hope you're able to. find what you're looking for locally, and please do keep us updated on your journey as I know it will be of great help to others in your area!

NikkiTMU

Latex in Little Rock - Take 2 26 Oct 2021 14:27 #5

I heard back from Jordan Brothers. They have changed their latex mattress quite a bit - it is only one sided now to begin with. It now consists of 3 inches of talalay latex on top, underneath that is 2 inches of dunlop latex, and then the bottom of the mattress is 5 inches of the omalon foam. Then we cover it in a fire retardant sock and then we put a zippered cover over it. How does that construction rate? Is it a quality mattress? It would run $1800 for a king size.

Do you know of any options out there that have a 2 sided mattress with the same firmness? Or is there any site where you can make your own so to speak where we could request the same firmness on both sides?

Thanks.
Lara

Latex in Little Rock - Take 2 27 Oct 2021 19:28 #6

Hi ZhivagosGirl.

I'm sorry to hear they've change the construction of the mattress you previously loved! The construction of the mattress you described sounds reasonably durable (without knowing the density of the omalon foam).

A company that comes to mind when you describe what you're looking for is Fox Mattress who are experts in crafting two sided mattresses. They can do custom ones, as well, and I know they offer nationwide shipping. It may be worth reaching out to them to see if they can help you find exactly what it is your are looking for.

They may also be able to help point you in the direction of places closer to you, regionally speaking.

NikkiTMU

Latex in Little Rock - Take 2 28 Oct 2021 14:50 #7

I've emailed Jordan Brothers to asked about the omalon foam density. Incidentally - I don't know if I mentioned this but their mattress now runs $1,895 (it was $1,295 when we purchased 9.5 yrs ago.)

I've been in contact with Dreamline about what they have to offer this is what they sent back:
Single Side King size bed, price is $1,350
12” thick total
3” base foam that is 18_31 polyfoam base
7” of Zoned sectioned Talalay latex
Cover is burquite beige material quilted with barrier , silk, ½” foam, 1 ¼” (convoluted)
There are 8 handles on the sides of the mattress also each side has gold vents for the latex to breathe

How does that sound?

Latex in Little Rock - Take 2 29 Oct 2021 14:16 #8

Heard back from Jordan Brothers about the Omalon foam. 2.1 to 2.3 for the density.

Latex in Little Rock - Take 2 29 Oct 2021 19:17 #9

Hi ZhivagosGirl.

The minimum density for polyfoam that we recommend for questions of durability is 1.8 lbs per cubic foot, so their Omalon foam is well above that. You can read more about our thoughts and recommendations on that front by visiting our Mattress Durability Guidelines .

With regards to the other mattress you mentioned, I'm unable to make a commentary beyond the durability, as only you can feel what you feel on a mattress; people with different body types, sleeping positions, or preferences can make very different mattress comfort choices from each other. So you’d first need to do some narrowing down based on your preference of materials, needs, and the other parts of your Mattress buying personal value equation and things that are most important to you.

That said, the 7-zoned latex sends up a slightly red flag for me. While zoning when done correctly can be very beneficial, it is also the subject of some misinformation and deceptive sales practices which are used to sell mattresses. If you choose a zoned mattress, 2 or 3 zones are generally the most important, and more than this can have questionable benefits and can sometimes lead to the purchase of an inappropriate and very uncomfortable mattress. Zoning schemes that use more than 3 zones may also be less effective in some cases because the zoning differences are sometimes less than the natural differences across the surface of the layer (especially in the case of zoned foam layers) or the zones may not "fit" the specific body type or sleeping style of the person on the mattress.

NikkiTMU

Latex in Little Rock - Take 2 30 Oct 2021 17:08 #10

So even tho quite a bit more ($500+) the Jordan Brothers mattress is turning out to be more of a quality product strictly from a materials/build standpoint? Is it reasonable to say that?

I'm still trying to understand the zones... Does that mean that the top of the bed is divided into 7 sections and each section is made of different densities of latex? I'm assuming the thickest (densest?) latex would be in the hip/pelvic region and then lower densities moving up and down from there? I'm also assuming the lower densities would have a tendency to break down more easily... Yes/No?

The Mattress UndergroundCopyright © 2021 The Mattress Underground.