Buying a new Matress in Melbourne, Australia 27 Jan 2012 12:39 #1

Hi,

I would like to say that this website is very impressive! heaps of great information here.

I am in the market for a new matress and I live in Melbourne, Australia.

Ideally I am after a pocket spring support layer, and latex/ memory foam comfort layer.

I have found a locally manufactured matress (as per below link)

www.regalmattressoutlets.com.au/timeless-elegance

But all the specs seem quite confusing. The other option is to go for a more generic popular matress were I would know what I am purchasing, but for an additional cost, this would be the Simmons Beautyrest Classic Medium as per the following link;

www.fortywinks.com.au/simmons-classic-medium-mattress.html

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also do you know any local manufacturers here in Melbourne who I could visit?

thanks in advance,
John J

Re: Buying a new Matress in Melbourne, Australia 27 Jan 2012 18:26 #2

Hi John J,

I'm certainly no expert on the Australian market although this thread may be of some help and some very quick research at the time seemed to indicate that there were some promising local manufacturers in Australia and Melbourne in particular.

Translated into North American terms (to use the same specs as the website and posts here), the Timeless Elegance is layered as follows (from bottom to top)...

9 zone pocket spring. I didn't see any specs on this in terms of wire gauge or coil density but with most mattresses that are above the lower budget ranges the innersprings are probably OK. 9 zone seems like overkill to me though and a little gimmicky.

Foam box surround 31 - 320 translates to 1.94 lbs/ft3 density and 72 ILDd. This is a very firm innerspring edge support foam.

2 heavy duty needle felt pads ... these insulators are to firm up the pocket coils and keep the foam from sinking into the gaps in the innerspring and getting lumpy.

30 mm 29-200 high density foam is 1.18 inches of 1.81 lb polyoam with an ILD of 45. Average quality for a support foam.

2 x 18 mm 23-130 high density foam is 1.42 inches of 1.44 lb polyoam (I wouldn't consider this to be high density at all) with an ILD 29 (medium) which is lower density than normal for a deeper layer.

Gussett is the enclosure for the pillowtop

25 mm latex pad. This is 1" of latex but they don't specify the type of latex or the ILD ... although it would likely be soft.

25 mm 36-80 infinity pad. If this is polyoam (likely) then it is 1" of 2.25 lb/ft3 density and 18 ILD (soft). If this is polyfoam then it's better quality.

30 mm 52-40 memory foam. 1.18 inches of 3.25 lb memory foam 9 ILD (low quality)

48 mm 25-60 supersoft foam quilting. 1.89" of 1.56 lb polyfoam 13.5 ILD (very soft and lower density for a comfort layer although better than most major manufacturers)

I don't know the price of this or Australian pricing in general but given the thickness and the lower density of the foams I would consider this to be a lower budget mattress even though the foams used are better quality than the major brands. I'd also want to know where their foams are manufactured.

The Simmons Classic medium doesn't provide any specs but most of the foam in it is probably even lower quality and I don't recommend major brands because I don't think they have good quality or value. The Reacta foam used in the quilting for example is apparently .9 lbs/ft3 which IMO is junk.

I personally wouldn't really consider either of these unless I was in a lower budget range.

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Re: Buying a new Matress in Melbourne, Australia 27 Jan 2012 21:23 #3

Thanks for you response, I will certainly keep looking. Hopefully I can find a good local manufacturer.

Re: Buying a new Matress in Melbourne, Australia 28 Jan 2012 10:51 #4

Thanks again for your assistance,

I have decided to look further and have found an outlet which has 2 options.

the first is this following bed in a queen size; www.naturatex.com.my/prd_mttrs_luxury.htm

Its called the supreme 280 as it has 28 centremeters (280mm) of Latex It apparently has 4 layers of latex. The sales rep advised me that naturatex have 100% natural latex. I'm a little confused if this is Talalay or Dunlop though. Is there anything I should be mindfull of here?

I have read your pros and cons article on latex matresses and they seem appealing even though they have a slightly higher price tag!

The second matress is from the same store its called the posturex plush. I need to get some more info on this though, I know it is an innerspring pocketcoil matress. But I need to confirm exaclty how much layers there are in the comfort layers which I will do tommorow.

Once again I am loving your mattress forum and website, there is so much great information here!

Kind Regards,
John J

Last edit: by John J.

Re: Buying a new Matress in Melbourne, Australia 29 Jan 2012 09:38 #5

So I went back into the store today to retry both of these beds. Option 2 is out of the question and I am now seriously considering purchasing the Latex Matress I listed in my last post under option 1.

I have obtained some further info which was listed on the description on this bed at the store, it states;

Pure 100% natural Naturatex XP Latex, incorporating the exclusive "Progressive feel" support system with 4 layers of ultra plush, soft, medium and firm latex for the ultimate in comfort and deep support. It has a 28cm depth and is finished with a latex box pillow top with a luxurious multi-directional stretch knit fabric and computerised "track and jump" tufted quilting for enhanced surface feel.

It seems like there is a lot of Marketing speak in the description which makes it difficult to understand. As I mentioned earlier I am still a little confused on what "Pure 100% natural Naturatex XP Latex" actually is. Is this talalay or dunlop?

How can I find this out?

Also the sales rep mentioned that because it is natural latex there shouldn't be any problems with overheating, is this true?

What are your thoughts on this matress? It feels comfortable but does Latex provide a high quality of support?

Once again many thanks for all your assistance.

Kind Regards,
John J

Re: Buying a new Matress in Melbourne, Australia 29 Jan 2012 20:44 #6

Hi John J,

I can understand your confusion about all the different proprietary terms used for what is basically the same materials.

Usually it is fairly safe to assume that if a particular version of latex doesn't specifically say Talalay that it is Dunlop. It's also good that the latex is all natural because I much prefer all natural Dunlop over a blended version (unlike Talalay latex). I would want to know if the ultra plush latex is in the quilting or if the quilting uses a different material. In looking at their site it is clear that Naturatex only makes Dunlop latex.

28 cm of latex is 11" which is a good amount of latex. The overall construction and layering and the ticking/quilting seems to be good as well (progressive means that the layers get firmer as they are deeper in the mattress which is the most common and usually the most suitable form of layering). The only question of course is whether this would meet your pressure relief and support needs but this would be easy to tell if you lie on the mattress for a little longer and test specifically for each.

I wouldn't put much stock in the particular name that a certain manufacturer calls their latex. In almost all cases ... its either Dunlop or Talalay process and with either one the raw materials are either NR (natural) or SBR (synthetic) or a blend of the two. Sometimes the name is just a marketing term (XP for example could mean extra pressure relief) used by different latex foam manufacturers to differentiate themselves. Either form of latex could also be zoned (firmer or softer in different areas of the latex) but the outlet will usually be happy to tell you this. In this case ... it's 100% natural Dunlop latex. Malaysia produces some very high quality latex.

Latex in general is a much more breathable or cooler foam than either memory foam or polyurethane foam. Talalay is more breathable than Dunlop although most people wouldn't have heat issues with either. The materials used in the ticking and quilting and in the mattress protector, sheets, and blankets you use can also have a big effect on how hot someone sleeps. In general natural fiber materials are cooler than synthetic fiber materials.

Latex is also the most supportive category of foam and Dunlop latex is also the more supportive foam between the two (Talalay and Dunlop) and has the highest compression modulus of almost any foam (it gets firmer faster as you sink in deeper) which is one of the reasons it is so often chosen in the support layers of a mattress. It is an excellent support material when chosen in a density or softness/firmness that is appropriate for an individual.

Overall this seems like a good quality mattress and well worth considering but of course I don't know the market prices in Australia so I can't speak to it's value in the local market.

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Re: Buying a new Matress in Melbourne, Australia 30 Jan 2012 00:30 #7

Thanks for that Phoenix,

Appreciate your feedback.

When you mentioned,

"The only question of course is whether this would meet your pressure relief and support needs but this would be easy to tell if you lie on the mattress for a little longer and test specifically for each"

What specifically should I be testing for? How do I do this?

Also I have been advised that zonning on a Latex matress is not really required as, Latex matresses generally mould to your body shape and releive pressure slightly better than spring matresses do. The shop assistant did advise that he could include zoning on the Latex matress but he did not really recommend it.

What are your thoughts about this?

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Re: Buying a new Matress in Melbourne, Australia 30 Jan 2012 02:24 #8

Hi John J,

the most important part of testing a mattress is that you spend long enough on it in the store to test for what I call PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Preferences).

The most important part of this is to spend long enough on the mattress ... as if you were going to sleep ... until all your muscles are fully relaxed and have no tension.

Lay first in the position with the most "protuding parts" or pressure points (for most people this is the side) and make sure that you don't feel any discomfort, tingliness, or numbness on your pressure points like the hips, shoulders, or pelvic bones as you are drifting off. Move or "bounce" very slightly to make sure that the layers underneath are not too firm or that the layers above are not too thin or firm to isolate you from the firmer layers underneath. There should be no points of discomfort or pressure and the transition between any layers should feel gradual rather than sudden when you are still or when you move from one position to another.

From here ... move into all your sleeping positions and make sure you are still fully relaxed. Make sure that there is no tension in your back or tendency to hold yourself up with your muscles. On your side your spine should be straight and on your back and/or stomach your spine should follow it's natural "S" curve. It can help to have someone else make sure that you are not sinking in too far in the pelvic area (hammocking) and they can tell if there is an obvious alignment issue by looking at your profile while you are standing with good posture and then comparing it to your sleeping profile. Its also important to make sure your shoulders are sinking in far enough if you sleep on your side.

This diagram will give you a good idea of what your spine should and shouldn't be doing in each position.

The most important part of all of this is to spend enough time on your final choices to make sure that your muscles "let go" and that the mattress is doing the supporting rather than your muscles.

Make sure that you include an appropriate pillow in your testing as this can have a big effect on the alignment of your upper back and neck and your shoulder comfort.

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Re: Buying a new Matress in Melbourne, Australia 30 Jan 2012 12:57 #9

Hi John J,

Forgot to reply to your zoning question.

With a latex mattress ... zoning is not as necessary necessary as with other materials but it does provide some options for fine tuning the balance between pressure relief and alignment in more difficult circumstances (it allows you to use slightly softer layers on top to help the shoulders without sacrificing support under the pelvis). It can also be useful for some who sleep in multiple positions with conflicting needs (such as side/stomach sleepers where the stomach sleeping needs thinner firmer comfort layers and side sleeping needs thicker softer comfort layers).

Your personal testing is the most accurate way to tell if a particular construction meets both of these "needs" (pressure relief and alignment) as well as your personal preferences about how a mattress feels and responds overall and whether you are one of those who would benefit from zoning.

Re: Buying a new Matress in Melbourne, Australia 30 Jan 2012 17:54 #10

Thanks Phoenix, I will take this info into account and do all these tests before making my final decision. Many thanks for your assistance. Kind regards John J