mattressunderground logo
×
The first place to start your research is the Mattress Shopping Tutorial linked in the top right corner.
Select the Search Forum tab above to gain access to answers to many mattress related questions.
Select the Ask An Expert tab above to reach out to any of our Expert Members for guidance and advice.

Latex in Little Rock

28 May 2012 19:40 #1 by ZhivagosGirl
Hello,

I've been trying to take in all the information I could this weekend and I decided it was time to jump in. My husband and I are looking to replace our current innerspring mattress. We are big people - I'm almost 6 ft, he's over 6 ft and we are both heavy. Additionally he sleeps very hot. Based on what I could glean so far - I think we're aiming for latex. He is a back sleeper mostly but I'm pretty much a side sleeper and I can tell you right now he's going to choke at about the $999 threshold (Actually probably lower than that but I can probably push him that far). So any of those "DIYs" different on each side set ups are out.

I did see that Dreamline Mattresses was mentioned on here and they are in Cabot, AR which is not far from here so I'm planning on going there. Their website doesn't offer a lot of info so if anyone can offer any feedback I'd appreciate it.

Can anyone suggest any other Latex retailers in the Little Rock area - or Arkansas in general? We'll be in Dallas in July and plan on going to Ikea to look at their latex mattress options. (I've duly noted the info about the Edsele and the Heggedal)

Any other information you can offer a newbie on a budget would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Lara

28 May 2012 22:27 - 13 Mar 2017 13:07 #2 by Phoenix
Replied by Phoenix on topic Latex in Little Rock
Hi ZhivagosGirl,

I believe that while latex could be a better solution because of it's combination of pressure relief, resilience, breathability, support, durability it's also true that it is among the most expensive mattress materials and it may not fit into your budget (at least for an all latex mattress). This means that you may be looking at the "best" of the partly latex options (with latex in the comfort layer). A high quality non latex option may also work well and can provide good value (high quality polyfoam over a good quality and supportive innerspring).

Because of it's longevity ... latex may also represent better value but budget restrictions being what they are ... the best value inside your budget would seem to be a reasonable goal.

There are a couple of "Little Rock" posts but no "Little Rock" thread so I'll amalgamate the information here and perhaps add a little bit as well. Some of these may be outside of your budget (such as the all latex options) but I'll include them for others in the area who may be looking at different choices.

www.jordanmattress.com/ Local factory direct manufacturer in Hot Springs. They make a range of mattresses including latex, innersprings, and memory foam and other high quality materials. Have been making mattresses for over 50 years. I talked with a salesperson there who had been working there for 18 years but I haven't had a chance to talk with the owner who is the "materials" expert. I would certainly include them in my research.

denvermattress.furniturerow.com/dmc/ North Little Rock, Conway, AR. Regional factory direct manufacturer that makes a wide range of mattresses including latex, memory foam, and innersprings that use higher quality materials. They are open and transparent about the materials they use but I would focus only on the mattresses they make and not the major brands they also carry.

www.dreamlinebedding.com/ Wholesale manufacturer in Cabot which makes a range of mattresses including memory foam and a latex/memory foam hybrid which use some high quality materials and look interesting. They are wholesale only so it would take a phone call to find out which retail outlets may carry them in Little Rock.

www.yellowpages.com/cabot-ar/mip/north-l...mattress-co-14360601 Retail store in Cabot which carries some of the Dreamline mattresses on their floor (and can order what he doesn't have). While he doesn't know the densities of the memory foam or polyfoam used ... he is more than happy to call and find out for those who ask (and everyone should ask to know the quality of the materials used). NOTE: their website is currently down so I would call first to make sure they are still in business.

www.facebook.com/Twin-City-Mattress-Slee...Inc-190795984335836/ Retail store in North Little Rock. They carry Sleeptronic which makes a wide range of mattresses but they carry mostly innerspring/polyfoam promotional mattresses and memory foam specialty bedding and don't carry latex on their floor. They do understand the importance of knowing the materials in their mattresses and are happy to provide the specs they know about or can find out from their factory. NOTE: their website is currently down so I would call first to make sure they are still in business.

Once again ... bear in mind that the only way to know the different quality/durability of foams that are used in a mattress is to know the density of any memory foam and polyfoam used. Lower density layers should be kept to an absolute minimum to avoid premature softening ... especially as the budget range increases. The easiest way to know this is to deal with someone who is knowledgeable about the different types of foams and mattress materials and also how to fit a mattress to a customer's needs and preferences instead of just saying "find the one that's the most comfortable". The more they know the less research you will need to do on your own.

This article may help you to know some of the qualities of better outlets and how to do some foam research before you go there.

Last edit: 13 Mar 2017 13:07 by Phoenix.

29 May 2012 00:43 #3 by ZhivagosGirl
Replied by ZhivagosGirl on topic Latex in Little Rock
Thank you for taking the time to respond so thoroughly.

I've sent some emails to make some initial contacts with the local manufacturers hopefully I can get some more specific content information and pricing specifics.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again.

Lara

29 May 2012 12:18 - 29 May 2012 12:21 #4 by Phoenix
Replied by Phoenix on topic Latex in Little Rock
Hi ZhivagosGirl,

I would suggest talking to them on the phone rather than using email unless the questions have very simple few word black and white answers that can be answered in a single sentence.

In most cases though ... the questions that consumers usually ask have much more nuanced answers or answers that start with "it depends" and then a long list of variables that will change the answer. Because of this ... most manufacturers realize the email answers are at best incomplete and will often require back and forth replies over the course of several days or weeks which otherwise could have been dealt with in a few minutes. Because emails are many times more time intensive than phone calls to get to more accurate and meaningful answers ... they will often go to the end of the priority list. Many times what a consumer believes is a simple question about layering or material specs is actually much more complex than they may realize and they can take a lot of thought (and time) to try and discern what is really being asked. Most questions need "question" type of replies before any real answer can be given.

In addition to this ... many local manufacturers are more from the "old school" and much less high tech and much prefer to use voice communications rather than more high tech communications where they (and you) can't sense the "tone" of the conversation. In some cases there are manufacturers who make high quality products that don't even have a website or their website has little information and needs a phone call to fill in the gaps.

So basic or "yes or no" questions such as "what are your hours" emails may get a more timely reply (if they read them frequently and many don't) ... but even for these I would recommend a call which will give you a much greater sense of the type of person or outlet you are dealing with.

I should also mention that in many cases pricing specific questions may not be answered initially unless they are very "black and white" (pertaining to a specific mattress that they make themselves rather than a mattress that they carry that is made by someone else) or asked as part of a more involved conversation. This is because they understand that pricing questions without the context of materials or construction are often an indication of a consumer that is price shopping only (regardless of quality or the suitability of a mattress for a particular use or person) and may be looking to buy the cheapest mattress that is available without regard to the materials that are in it.

Last edit: 29 May 2012 12:21 by Phoenix.

29 May 2012 13:38 - 29 May 2012 13:51 #5 by ZhivagosGirl
Replied by ZhivagosGirl on topic Latex in Little Rock
I am not anti phone and certainly plan to use it in the grand scheme of this process. However at this point I feel the questions I am asking are very black an white. As you know I am not in the price range of the custom made, I'm essentially working with their stock items so it comes down to "What is the content and specs of mattress X?" and how much does it cost? Or if you are wholesaler, where can I purchase it? I am very much still in the early fact finding phase, I have yet to even start my spreadsheet. ;)

I have been emailing with Dreamline this morning and I have JPGs of spec sheets on 5 of their mattresses. Can I post them? Would you be able to provide feedback? Should I start another thread just for those? "Dreamline Specs" maybe?

Thanks.

PS - I found on the Twin City Mattress website where it says they carry Corsicana and Sleeptronic mattresses.
Last edit: 29 May 2012 13:51 by ZhivagosGirl.

29 May 2012 18:11 #6 by Phoenix
Replied by Phoenix on topic Latex in Little Rock
Hi ZhivagosGirl,

Absolutely ... I would post them here (and keep everything in the same place) :)

Both of these brands are manufactured in TX, tend to focus on low to mid range budgets, and depending on the retail outlet can be better value than most larger more mainstream brands (although Corsicana is a fairly large manufacturer themselves and the owners are in the process of a rather aggressive expansion) although neither makes an all latex mattress that I'm aware of. They also both make a very wide range of mattresses using different combinations of components and materials. The key to shopping most alternative brands (rather than local manufacturers) is the ease with which you are able to obtain the "quality specs" of the materials (particularly polyfoam and memory foam density) and this will often depend on the approach of the retailer that carries them and their willingness and ability to answer these types of questions. I included them because their website seemed to indicate that they were more open and informative than the "norm" even though there are no specifics on their site (outside of the little box on their main page :))

I'm looking forward to seeing what you discover.

29 May 2012 18:34 - 01 Jun 2012 19:47 #7 by ZhivagosGirl
Replied by ZhivagosGirl on topic Latex in Little Rock
Here are the specs on the Dreamline mattresses with even a modicum of latex in them (Well that's not true I left off the Innovation 4). I didn't "drill down" regarding any more specifics on "inches" or "densities" because I figured there would be some immediate weeding out of some of these.

Price Ranges for a King size mattress on all of these were as follows:
La Grande 3, $625 - $699
Winter Retreat, $650 - $750
Latex Supreme, $720 - $899
The Dream, $960 - $1399

As for Twin City and their brands, they were both in the $1500 range if I recall - apparently I didn't write it down but obviously they were significantly higher than these. I also got some information for Jordan bedding and Eads brothers. I'll post that shortly.
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Jun 2012 19:47 by ZhivagosGirl.

29 May 2012 22:41 #8 by ZhivagosGirl
Replied by ZhivagosGirl on topic Latex in Little Rock
Here is some general information from Eads Brothers Furniture Co out of Ft. Smith AR. They only have 2 mattresses that are even partially latex.

1) "Pure" Euro Top. I have minimal data on this one but have requested more...
357 Verti-Coil 13.75 Gauge High Profile - 9" Foundation, Foam Encased Innerspring w/Latex Foam. Retails for about $850

2) "Resound" Euro Pillow Top. 847 Tri-Zone Pocket Coil Spring System Foam Encased Wireless Perimeter Palm Super Soft Convoluted Foam Anti-Microbial Pressure Relieving Latex. Retails for about $1,100 I've attached an image with a bit more detail. I have emailed back with a fairly extensive list of questions.
Attachments:

30 May 2012 03:03 - 30 May 2012 03:08 #9 by Phoenix
Replied by Phoenix on topic Latex in Little Rock
Hi ZhivagosGirl,

Thanks for posting the specs. I appreciate it.

Some comments but first a question. Do you know why there is a range of prices for the same mattress in the same size (King)?

La Grande 3, $625 - $699

I would want to know ...

- The material used in the quilting (and the density if it was polyfoam)
- The thickness and the type of latex
- It looks like they use two innersprings in the mattress. Is this the case or is the diagram incorrect (that would be unusual)?
- The density of the 5/8 polyfoam would be nice to know but I could live with less than an inch of unknown or lower density material.

I can't really make any more comments without knowing these.

Winter Retreat, $650 - $750

I would want to know ...

- The material used in the quilting (and the density if it was polyfoam)
- The thickness and the type of latex
- the thickness and the density of the convoluted foam.

Again ... without this it's difficult to make any real judgements

Latex Supreme, $720 - $899

I would want to know the type of latex but the polyfoam base is good quality and this appears (subject to the type of latex) to have good value and I would certainly consider it if it "fit" me in terms of PPP (pressure relief, posture and alignment, and preferences)

The Dream, $960 - $1399

I would want to know ...

- The type of latex
- The density of the convoluted polyfoam

This also has some good potential though and I personally happen to like the feel of a couple of inches of latex over memory foam. With the convoluted foam in the mix though as well as the upper layers of latex (probably softer) and memory foam, the comfort layers seem fairly thick and soft which may be good for side sleepers or those who like soft mattresses but I would make sure that alignment was good on this mattress. This one has an even bigger price range for the same mattress.

I would be leaning towards the last two ... so far.

1) "Pure" Euro Top. I have minimal data on this one but have requested more...

I would want to know the details of the latex (thickness and type). I would also ask if there were any missing layers (there should at least be an insulator between the latex and the coils but there are likely some other missing layers as well as the details of the ticking/quilting). I'll make more comments when you have any more details.

This is made by a Chinese company called Stylution who purchased Wickline who used to make the Sleep Therapy brand. there are lots of layer details missing here as you know. In cases like these I would also want to know if any polyfoam was American made or CertiPur certified.

When you get the answers to your questions I'll be happy to make more comments. Thanks again for all your research.

Last edit: 30 May 2012 03:08 by Phoenix.

30 May 2012 10:16 - 30 May 2012 10:18 #10 by ZhivagosGirl
Replied by ZhivagosGirl on topic Latex in Little Rock
Quick reply for the only answer I know off the top of my head. The range of prices is because Dreamline is a wholesaler, and the range represents the prices across the 3 places in central AR that carry their mattresses. And yes - the prices are for a King.
Last edit: 30 May 2012 10:18 by ZhivagosGirl.

• FREE Consumer Membership & Price Discounts

Offered to consumers who Create an Account to register on OUR FORUM to ask questions or share mattress related experiences. Additionally, Consumer Members of TMU will receive discounts/bonuses from some of the best quality/value Mattress Manufacturers in North America.

• CONNECTING Consumers with Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers

The Mattress Underground (TMU) website connects consumers with the most Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers throughout North America. All TMU Members have agreed to provide TMU consumer members price discounts/bonus higher or equal to all other discounts offered throughout the Internet.

• For eCommerce purchases, please check here for the unique discount code(s) offered by each of the TMU Trusted members.
      • When purchasing locally simply present the referral certificate provided by the TMU Trusted Member linked above or mention “The Mattress Underground” when visiting their store.

• QUALITY Manufacturers & KNOWLEDGEABLE Retailers

The Business membership of this site is by invitation only and is only offered when we are satisfied that what you offer places you in the upper tier of mattress manufacturers & retailers across North America in terms of quality, knowledge & transparency, and service. If you believe that your company meets the quality/value criteria please complete and submit the PMAF form here to start the review process.

Membership Requirements

• Membership Disclosure

The Mattress Underground offers free consumer membership & paid membership for select mattress manufacturers or retailers. Member dues/fees are our source of income as The Mattress Underground is expensive to operate and employs people. For those manufacturers or retailers that have been invited to become members, and for any consumer that wishes to find their "best fit" mattress, we hope you choose to take advantage of what TMU offers as we believe the value of our services and information, our willingness and ability to work on behalf of and connect educated consumers with the better retailers and manufacturers across the US and Canada, are second to none on the internet. Mattress manufacturer and retailer memberships are available for companies that sell directly to consumers, but are by invitation only.

In order to ensure full transparency with our readers, we’d like to disclose the following about our member relationships:

• Consumer have free membership but can voluntarily donate to helping TMU operate.
    • Mattress retailers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees.
    • Mattress manufacturers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees
    More information about the benefits and services that TMU members receive can be found on the Our Services page of this website