mattressunderground logo
×
The first place to start your research is the Mattress Shopping Tutorial linked in the top right corner.
Select the Search Forum tab above to gain access to answers to many mattress related questions.
Select the Ask An Expert tab above to reach out to any of our Expert Members for guidance and advice.

a latex mattress in montreal, canada

05 Aug 2012 20:52 #1 by zeff
Hello
I've recently started shopping for a latex mattress, mosltly because of very positive feedback I got from your website (and others). The only one I found was Zenbody by Stearns & Foster at Sleep Country (Dormez-vous in Quebec). The saleman told me he only has a few left at the warehouse since the stores won't be carrying them anymore. Reason: sales are not so good and not popular with clients.
I've had quite a hard time finding a quality latex mattress in Montreal. (I weight 150 lbs /5'9'') Can you help? Thanks

06 Aug 2012 02:54 - 14 Dec 2018 19:53 #2 by Phoenix
Hi zeff,

I would pass on the Zenbody even though it's a nicer version than the Embody in the US (it's all latex) but the latex is still lower quality and mostly synthetic.

You are fortunate though because there are more factory direct mattress manufacturers in and around Montreal (within about 100K) than any other city in North America that I know of and almost all of them produce latex mattresses as well as every other style and combination as well. There is a list in post #276 here (I added the cities so it would be easier to scan).

You have some great choices near you and I certainly wouldn't be considering a major brand or a chain store (see the mattress shopping guidelines here ) with so many high quality choices so close to you :)

Last edit: 14 Dec 2018 19:53 by Administrator TMU. Reason: Updating link to https: status

06 Aug 2012 23:08 - 14 Dec 2018 20:01 #3 by zeff
Hi Phoenix,

First, I want to say thank you so much for sharing your knowledge regarding mattresses in an open and honest manner. The information available can be overwhelming and with so much hype and gimmickry it is hard to trust what you hear and read. Also the links and location were very helpful. :)

S & F (Sealy) Zenbody Pure 9'' is made of smart latex. Why not calling it synthetic latex (Sapsa). They seem to have a hard time calling a spade a spade. I guess there's nothing wrong with synthetic latex but when it comes to pricing it at 1644$, I think you're right advising me to stay away from S & F.

I went shopping today and found both Zedbed (semi-firm Baltic at 1949$ or firm Boreal at 1449$) really comfortable at Matelas Bonheur: matelasbonheur.ca/lang-en/zedbed/424-latex-semi-ferme.html.
They also carry the more expensive Greensleep Vimala latex mattresses: matelasbonheur.ca/lang-en/zedbed/424-latex-semi-ferme.html at 3699$. A bit too expensive for me... but so comfy.
Matelas Personnel offers the Lucern 6" talaly latex and 3" foam for 1779$.
Haestens offers the british Dunlopillo 100% talalay at 2300$
Matelas Laurier offers a 9" 100% talalay latex mattress for 1639$
Futon d"Or has the 9" Neptune 100% Dunlop latex with wool quilted envelope for 1709$ futondor.com/boutique/produit/?q=317-Latex%20Neptune.
or the Confort with 6" dunlop latex with wool & cotton layers at 1030$ futondor.com/futon/product/?q=88-Latex%20Confort
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: matelasbonheur.ca/fr/lang-en/zedbed/424-latex-semi-ferme.html/| Archived Footprint 2: matelasbonheur.ca/fr/lang-en/zedbed/424-latex-semi-ferme.html/|Archived Footprint 3:futondor.com/boutique/produit/?q=317-Latex%20Neptune|Archived Footprint 4: futondor.com/futon/product/?q=88-Latex%20Confort

This was an exausting day. I will take a few days to figure things out, but if you do have any other advices, please let me know. Thanks again
Last edit: 14 Dec 2018 20:01 by Administrator TMU. Reason: Removed Page Not Found Link (404 Error)

07 Aug 2012 02:18 - 07 Aug 2012 02:20 #4 by Phoenix
Hi zeff,

You're certainly right about this. All the proprietary names are meant to make various materials sound better than they really are.

That's a lot of places to visit in a single day and I can see it must have been a long day. I sure do appreciate you sharing some of the examples and prices you listed with the forum though. There is a wide value range there but some of it is very good and comparable to some of the best value local manufacturers around the continent. I know from my own experience that sometimes the most difficult part of a long day of testing is remembering what each mattress felt like. At least there's no doubt that you can end up with a great quality and value mattress given some of the choices you mentioned.

I would probably narrow things down to some of the better value outlets and then perhaps do one more round of testing with some of the "top" choices to narrow things down. Futon d"Or wasn't even on my list but they certainly also have good value (comparable in a materials sense to the Green Sleep but the Green Sleep probably had their special flexible and adjustable foundation under it which contributes significantly to the feel ... and price ...of the mattress). I've added them to the list so others that read it will know about them as well ... thank you.

I'm amazed that Montreal has so much good quality and value choices available in a single region.

Thanks again for your feedback :)

Last edit: 07 Aug 2012 02:20 by Phoenix.

06 Dec 2012 12:10 #5 by tanyaden
Hi zeff,

Do you mind to share your mattress shopping experience? I also live in Montreal, and I really appreciate if you can help me a little. Maybe you can point me to good quality products/manufacturers. Or you encountered places you better to stay away from...
Are you happy with the mattress you finally bought? Which one is it? what manufacturer?

Thanks for any input!

06 Dec 2012 18:54 #6 by zeff
Hi
I finally bought my latex mattress at Literie Laurier 375, Cremazie O., Montreal, Qc, H2N 2H9 (514.381.1260). It’s a 9" 100% talalay latex mattress for 1639$, but got an incredible discount at 1300$. The mattress is absolutely pure heaven!! I also purchased latex pillows at Futon d'Or for 60$ a piece.

One store you definitely must stay away from is Dormez-vous (Sleep Country). Salesperson don't know anything about what they're talking about. They'll tell you anything you want... to sell any products they can.
Good luck with the purchase of your new mattress.
Cheers
Zeff

07 Dec 2012 10:02 #7 by tanyaden

zeff wrote: Hi

Good luck with the purchase of your new mattress.
Cheers
Zeff

Funny, but Literie Laurier is #1 on my list of stores to visit! You've got the great deal on your mattress. I'll use your price as a bargaining tool if we decide to go with their mattress :-)

And special thank you for the Dormez-vous warning. Maybe we'll visit them anyway, but it's always good to know other people's opinion.

Thanks again, and enjoy your new mattress!

07 Dec 2012 20:20 - 07 Dec 2012 20:21 #8 by Phoenix
Hi tanyaden,

I will echo zeff's caution about chain stores (and Dormez-vous / Sleep Country is one of the biggest in Canada). The marketing stories they will tell you (and that's all they are because they won't be able to tell you much about what is in their mattresses ... especially the major brands) ... will do more to frustrate and confuse (and waste time) than they will educate and help you. If curiosity does get the better or you ... make sure you don't buy anything no matter what you are told about the "benefits" of buying now or any "special sales" or "special discounts" you may be offered. They don't carry any mattresses I would seriously consider.

Last edit: 07 Dec 2012 20:21 by Phoenix.

10 Feb 2015 12:39 #9 by chanpou
Here's my own experience with latex mattress shopping in the Montreal area. We were shopping for a King size. Both side sleepers, occasionally back sleeper as well (more so my husband than I). He: 6'3, 220 lbs, me: 5'3, 159 lbs.

Futon d'Or: 100% natural latex, good prices, but ILD configurations on the firm side.
Matelas Siesta: 100% Dunlop, but mattresses limited to a 6" core, and on the firm side.
Green Sleep: felt okay, but too pricey. 100% Dunlop.
Matelas Dauphin: Talalay (not sure if 100% natural or blend); 8" (6" plus 2"), comfortable, but was able to find bette price at Literie Provinciale.

Eventually purchased a 9" 100% Talalay at Literie Provinciale. 6" core of about 36 ILD with a 3" comfort level of about 21 ILD. Mattress cover is a Tencel knit, which we preferred over the cotton cover which is also available. Price for mattress is $1675, taxes included. We we so impressed with the service, quality and pricing of this shop/manufacturer, that we decided to make our purchase locally (we had been considering buying from Sleep Ez and having the mattress shipped to our vacation condo in Vermont to save on shipping).

We will be picking up the mattress Friday. I'll post an update once we've been sleeping on it for a while.

10 Feb 2015 14:50 - 14 Dec 2018 20:05 #10 by Phoenix
Hi chanpou,

I replied to your other post here but thanks once again for your comments and feedback.

I've also linked this post to the Literie Provincial listing in the Montreal list.

Last edit: 14 Dec 2018 20:05 by Administrator TMU. Reason: Updating link to https: status

• FREE Consumer Subscription & Price Discounts

Offered to consumers who Create an Account to register on OUR FORUM to ask questions or share mattress related experiences. Additionally, TMU Consumer Subscribers receive discounts/bonuses from some of the best quality/value Mattress Manufacturers & Retailers in North America.

• CONNECTING Consumers with Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers

The Mattress Underground (TMU) website connects consumers with the most Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers throughout North America. All TMU Members have agreed to provide TMU consumer subscrilbers price discounts/bonus higher or equal to all other discounts offered on their own sites or throughout the Internet.

• For eCommerce purchases, please check here for the unique discount code(s) offered by each TMU Trusted member.
      • When purchasing locally simply present the referral certificate provided by the TMU Trusted Member linked above or mention “The Mattress Underground” when visiting their store.

• QUALITY Manufacturers & KNOWLEDGEABLE Retailers

The Business membership of this site is by invitation and is only offered when we are satisfied that what you offer places you in the upper tier of mattress manufacturers & retailers across North America in terms of quality, knowledge & transparency, and service. If you believe that your company meets the quality/value criteria please complete and submit the PMAF form here to start the review process.

Membership Requirements

• Membership Disclosure

The Mattress Underground offers free consumer subscription & paid membership for select mattress manufacturers or retailers. Member dues/fees are our source of income as The Mattress Underground is expensive to operate and employs people. For those manufacturers or retailers that have been invited to become members, and for any consumer that wishes to find their "best fit" mattress, we hope you choose to take advantage of what TMU offers as we believe the value of our services and information, our willingness and ability to work on behalf of and connect educated consumers with the better retailers and manufacturers across the US and Canada, are second to none on the internet. Mattress manufacturer and retailer memberships are available for companies that sell directly to consumers, but are by invitation only.

In order to ensure full transparency with our readers, we’d like to disclose the following about our member relationships:

• Consumers have free subscription but can voluntarily donate to help TMU operate.
    • Mattress retailers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees.
    • Mattress manufacturers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees
    More information about the benefits and services that TMU members receive can be found on the Our Services page of this website