Best Way to "Try" Latex Beds Locally Before Buying Ultimate Dreams 01 Sep 2012 02:05 #1

My wife and I are looking for a new bed. We have generally been "ok" with our innerspring mattress for about 10 years. By OK, I mean we have been uncomfortable, but live with it. We both tend to sleep on our backs and sides (and occasionally our stomachs). (I am 6'0 and 195 lbs, my wife is 5'8 and 140 lbs). I also tend to use a slew of pillows around myself in order to add cushion.

In my quest for a new mattress, which has bordered on an obsession as of late, I have looked towards air and foam (latex or memory) versus a spring mattress. I recently came across the Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress on Amazon after seeing reviews on another site. Additional web browsing led me here.

I am awfully shy about buying a mattress online. While I know that I cannot test an Ultimate Dreams mattress, I am hoping to try mattresses locally that would give me a feel for the type of mattress (to see if I would care for latex/foam). Any advice of brands/stores/lines that would be a good starting point, for in-person looks, would be appreciated.

Thank you for the fantastic resources on this site.

Last edit: by needsmrest. Reason: Edited for spelling.

Re: Best Way to "Try" Latex Beds Locally Before Buying Ultimate Dreams 01 Sep 2012 04:02 #2

Hi needsmrerst,

I certainly don't blame you for being "shy" about ordering online for something as important as a mattress. While some of the online manufacturers that do this are very good at what they do and are amazingly helpful and even "accurate" with their recommendations ... it can still be intimidating and it's always a great idea to do some local testing first to get a clearer sense of different materials, layering, and your needs and preferences. This feedback along with your "stats" about body type and sleeping style can be very helpful in making a good choice with an online purchase.

If you let me know the zip or city where you live ... I'd be happy to let you know of any places I know of that may make some good "testing grounds" and perhaps even offer the type of value that makes a local purchase worthwhile as well. This would be a lot easier and effective than posting a list of brands and models of mattress that may be similar (I don't have a list like this anyway) and then trying to find them locally.

Almost all areas of the country would generally have some models of latex mattresses available locally that could at least give you a sense of how latex feels and performs.

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Re: Best Way to "Try" Latex Beds Locally Before Buying Ultimate Dreams 01 Sep 2012 16:53 #3

Thank you for your response! City is Menomonee Falls, WI 53051.

Re: Best Way to "Try" Latex Beds Locally Before Buying Ultimate Dreams 01 Sep 2012 20:21 #4

Hi needsmrest,

Post #2 here includes some good options both locally and two of our manufacturing members who are within about 80 miles or so as well and make some very good quality and value mattresses.

I would probably suggest calling the ones that are further away to discuss what you may prefer before taking a drive there but if either they or your more local choices have a mattress that you can test and fits your needs and preferences and is in the budget and value range you prefer, then you would have the best of both worlds ... the ability to personally test a mattress along with great local value. If nothing else ... they would provide a good reference point for any type of purchase including online so that your final choices are between "good and good".

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Re: Best Way to "Try" Latex Beds Locally Before Buying Ultimate Dreams 02 Sep 2012 16:28 #5

As we begin to try out a few things. We went to the closest store (big chain) hoping to see something with latex. None there. We did lay on some tempurpedics and some icomforts. We tended to like things on the plush side. An iComfort Savant and TempurPedic Cloud Luxe (as far as feel). My wife definitely was more of a fan of a mattress wherein you were able to "settle" quickly, if that makes sense. Neither of us really liked a mattress wherein the adjustment to a shift in body position seemed s-l-o-w.

Still looking/waiting for some time to get on Latex at the suggested stores.

Is there anything we can glean from the mattresses we did touch today that can translate across brands and retailers?

Re: Best Way to "Try" Latex Beds Locally Before Buying Ultimate Dreams 02 Sep 2012 18:19 #6

Hi needsmrest,

The main thing I would "glean" from this is that you prefer the "faster" and "softer" versions of slow response materials like memory foam. While neither of these will be as fast response as latex ... it indicates to me that you prefer softer ILD's and "towards faster response" materials that have a more consistent temperature range rather than ranging from very soft to very firm with temperature. Many gel foams are of this type and some "regular" memory foams are similar to this as well.

It also indicates that you are "in the range" of about 4" - 5" of memory foam (The Cloud Luxe has 4.75" of softer and firmer memory foam and the Savant has 4" of memory foam with an inch of soft polyfoam in between the two layers which would give it a faster response). If you end up with memory foam ... I would tend to be a little careful with the total amount of memory foam in the mattress because thicker layers can be somewhat tricky and can affect your spinal alignment over the course of the night (you can sink in deeper over the course of the night even if the temperature and humidity is consistent). So if you find a mattress with a little "less" in the comfort layers and it performs just as well and feels as good as one with a little more ... I would choose the "little less".

So now the goal is to compare this "feel" and response with materials that are a faster response yet but similar in their pressure relieving qualities.

Re: Best Way to "Try" Latex Beds Locally Before Buying Ultimate Dreams 02 Sep 2012 22:31 #7

Thanks again!

Do you have any thoughts about Verlo? They are also in the area and seem to have some latex products.

www.verlo.com/products/mattresssets/harmonycollection

Re: Best Way to "Try" Latex Beds Locally Before Buying Ultimate Dreams 03 Sep 2012 01:43 #8

Hi needsmrest,

Yes they are one of the manufacturers I listed and will usually include them in the various lists I post around the forum when they are available in an area. They are a regional factory direct manufacturer that makes a wide range of mattresses including memory foam, gel foam, latex, and latex hybrids and others and can also make custom adjustments. They are usually among the better value in most areas although smaller local manufacturers may have better value yet.

Re: Best Way to "Try" Latex Beds Locally Before Buying Ultimate Dreams 12 Sep 2012 22:29 #9

Phoenix,

As it is, my wife is still pretty high on the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe. I know you have mentioned, in other posts, this alternative: Ultimate Dreams 13" Gel Memory Foam Mattress... I have yet to see or locate any feedback or buyers experience with this particular mattress. We have a lot of research left to do (to really dive into latex), but as I move forward, being able to posit a Cloud Luxe-like mattress would be nice.

I also could not recall if there was any warranty/return policy info for DreamFoam bought through Amazon.

As always, your help is appreciated.

Re: Best Way to "Try" Latex Beds Locally Before Buying Ultimate Dreams 12 Sep 2012 23:19 #10

Hi needsmrest,

The Dreamfoam gel is very new so there is not a lot of feedback yet. It is similar to the Cloud Luxe and they actually bought a Cloud Luxe and used it as a design goal. They tell me it's very close but not quite as soft.

Select Foam also has a line of mattresses that are specifically made to match the Tempurpedic models based on the layering and foam densities but also extensive side to side ongoing comparisons by staff and customers at their brick and mortar outlet (where they carry Tempurpedic for side to side comparisons in real time and use the feedback to refine their designs).

NOTE ADDED: Select foam used to be a member of this site but because of ongoing customer service issues and delays their membership was terminated and I would read the warning here before considering them.

Rocky Mountain Mattress may also have a model that would come close to matching some of the Tempurpedic models and they can also customize the layering in their mattresses and carry memory foam mattresses where both the memory foam layers and the base foam layers can be interchanged and exchanged.

All of these are members of the site, have good quality, value, and service, and are very good to work with on the phone. They would be well worth talking to about your preferences and about which mattress they make that might work best for you.

Dreamfoam mattresses on Amazon are a final sale (except the Eurotop model where the comfort layer can be exchanged for a small fee) and there are no refunds or exchanges. This is part of the reason the prices are so low.

Hope this helps