Accurate information regarding latex mattresses, hybrid mattresses, adjustable bases, latex pillows, etc. Industry professional of over 40 years expertise in the mattress field currently using suppliers Talalay Global, Latexco, Radium Foam, Latex Green and Leggett & Platt.
Replies Timing Note: We will gladly answer your questions Monday through Friday,
....any posts accumulated during weekends will be answered Mondays.
Go to Arizona Premium EXPERT Profile & Articles
Go to Arrizona Premium BUSINESS Profile

6" Core vs. 3" Layers 02 Apr 2018 17:47 #1

Ken, only a few of the latex mattress bed makers use the six inch core versus two three inch layers. Considering that at least one of them, Cozy Pure, seems to turn out a fine product, I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the subject. Is there an appreciable difference in performance or any? Thanks,
macgarcon.

6" Core vs. 3" Layers 03 Apr 2018 09:11 #2

Thank you for the question which I get asked a lot. From a marketing perspective the 3" layers makes more sense however from a structural integrity perspective the fewer the cuts (layers) the more solid and durable the construction.

Most latex is poured in a mold that is 6" thick and it's poured to hit a specific firmness. If you laid on the 6" piece of latex it would have a firmer feel than if it were cut horizontally into 2 3" layers because by cutting you have changed the overall integrity of the product resulting in a softer feel. It's a question I asked 20 years ago when we started selling latex and that's straight from the manufacturers mouth. The more cuts the less durability. That being said we offer it both ways so if you like having the option to move a bunch of layers around we can do that too but I still prefer the more durable setup which is 6 + 3 being our most popular.

6" Core vs. 3" Layers 03 Apr 2018 09:40 #3

Thank you, Ken. Is it possible, by the way to speak with you when I call the Arizona Premium number? macgarcon

6" Core vs. 3" Layers 03 Apr 2018 11:39 #4

Yes, I'm usually here M-F 9-5

6" Core vs. 3" Layers 13 Sep 2018 17:15 #5

This topic of layer thickness and "the more cuts the less durability" is pertinent to me.
I ordered a Plushbeds Botanical Bliss 9". The bottom 3inch core FIRM (ILD 36) dunlop latex layer is actually 2 (1.5 inch) layers "glued" together. Plushbeds advertises they use no glues .
I was concerned about the "glue" and the fact that it wasn't a solid 3 inch layer. So I contacted Plushbeds and they said it was a liquid latex and that the new 2 layer 3inch core construction is called "continuous layers" and was "actually more supportive and durable as they are denser and contain more latex". They said this is how the Richard Pieris ARPICO manufacturer sends it to them. They also said they could order me a solid 3inch layer to replace but would take 6-8 weeks.

What do you think? 1 solid 3inch dunlop latex layer --vs-- 2 (1.5inch) dunlop latex layers with latex adhesive? Which is better over time?

6" Core vs. 3" Layers 14 Sep 2018 09:46 #6

I've pointed out the fact they advertise no glue many times and yet they sell Cal. King. There is no way of making Cal. King without using glue especially in Talalay. That being said if they use Dunlop then one continuous king is easily available with no glue seams. The liquid latex seam is something I've not heard of before. Latex seams are normal and will not affect the durability of the product.

Moderators: Arizona Premium