Accurate information regarding latex mattresses, hybrid mattresses, adjustable bases, latex pillows, etc. Industry professional of over 40 years expertise in the mattress field currently using suppliers Talalay Global, Latexco, Radium Foam, Latex Green and Leggett & Platt.
Replies Timing Note: We will gladly answer your questions Monday through Friday,
....any posts accumulated during weekends will be answered Mondays.
Go to Arizona Premium EXPERT Profile & Articles
Go to Arrizona Premium BUSINESS Profile

Eco Sleep vs Sedona Sleep for higher BMI 12 May 2018 07:57 #1

Hey! I figured this would be the best place to ask this. I'm on a relatively tight budget, so while I've fallen in love with the idea of latex mattresses, it's difficult to find anything within my price range (under $900 for a full size set) that's suitable for higher BMIs.
I've been looking at the Sedona Sleep system and the Eco Sleep, but I'm not sure how well either would work for me. I'm 5'5, back/side sleeper, 275# (about 40 BMI), I don't like to sink into the bed, and I sleep hot. I'm not really expecting any bed in my price range to last me 20 years or anything, but a solid 5 years would be incredible.

While the Sedona uses 1.9lb polyfoam for the base mattress and would be under the 3" topper (was going to go for the #32), would it hold up well long term? I know the information here on the site suggests 2lb for higher BMI, but is one point and the fact it's the base layer make a huge difference? Sedona is listed as suitable for all weight ranges in the "simplified choice" post, but just wanted to double check, I guess.
Enter the Eco Sleep! I've always slept on traditional innerspring and I like the general feel of them in the first few months before the comfort layers begin to break down on me. I also read somewhere that they sleep cooler than all foam mattresses. I understand pocketed coils may not be the best way to go for a higher BMI (I may/not have read that on here, it's all becoming a blur), but I figured the 3" latex would offset that some (again, going with the #32).

Are either of these good options for me? If yes, is one more preferable than the other? Should I opt for the #36 topper for sheer staying power? If not, any suggestions on where to look?

Eco Sleep vs Sedona Sleep for higher BMI 14 May 2018 09:29 #2

Good question and there is no better person to answer since I designed both models. Here's the simple answer, the Eco Sleep with #32 topper will sleep cooler than the Sedona however the Sedona will probably give you a little more durability. Both will should last you well over 10 years. Opting to go with the #36 will add another 3-5 years to either of those models but it will sleep quite firm. Let me know if you need anything else.

Eco Sleep vs Sedona Sleep for higher BMI 14 May 2018 10:41 #3

Thanks so much for your response! I just have one more question. I have a classic metal frame, but it lacks a support bar down the middle of the bed head to foot, rather it goes horizontally from one side to the other. Would the wood foundation you sell work for either mattress on that setup or would you suggest a different frame?

Eco Sleep vs Sedona Sleep for higher BMI 14 May 2018 11:01 #4

Our wood foundation will work fine with your frame.

Eco Sleep vs Sedona Sleep for higher BMI 14 May 2018 11:09 #5

Thanks, Ken! Really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

Eco Sleep vs Sedona Sleep for higher BMI 14 May 2018 11:25 #6

Glad to help.

Eco Sleep vs Sedona Sleep for higher BMI 29 May 2018 18:03 #7

Hey! Turns out I have one more question and I didn't want to start a whole new thread for it. I'm about 99.999% sure I'll be going with the Eco Sleep.
Would a platform bed (slat spacing 2.8") work well for the Eco Sleep or does it need the KD foundation? I'm so used to a spring mattress needing a box spring that I'm just not sure.

Thanks again!

Eco Sleep vs Sedona Sleep for higher BMI 29 May 2018 18:10 #8

Yes, that will work perfectly with the Eco Sleep.

Eco Sleep vs Sedona Sleep for higher BMI 29 May 2018 18:23 #9

Great! Thanks so much, Ken!

Eco Sleep vs Sedona Sleep for higher BMI 30 May 2018 12:04 #10

That's what I'm here for. Thanks for reaching out.

Moderators: Arizona Premium