Accurate information regarding latex mattresses, hybrid mattresses, adjustable bases, latex pillows, etc. Industry professional of over 40 years expertise in the mattress field currently using suppliers Talalay Global, Latexco, Radium Foam, Latex Green and Leggett & Platt.
Replies Timing Note: We will gladly answer your questions Monday through Friday,
....any posts accumulated during weekends will be answered Mondays.
Go to Arizona Premium EXPERT Profile & Articles
Go to Arrizona Premium BUSINESS Profile

Latex vs latex hybrid 18 May 2018 17:18 #1

Hi. Is a latex mattress with coil base just as durable as an all latex mattress, or is the latter more durable? Also, are there any solutions to the "cons" of poor edge support and body compressions that are associated with the latex mattresses? Also which type is better for a heavy person? Thanks.

Latex vs latex hybrid 19 May 2018 18:05 #2

Hi Lina d
I have been on this site a short while and have had the same questions as you. Doing some searchs will provide some good information for you ( for example, look at the last page of the "Need help deciding on a mattress" thread - where Phoenix discusses edge support".

Here is my situation. I am 6'2" and about 240 lbs. So high on the BMI. Edge support is important to me, as I like to sit on the side of the mattress. I am also a side sleeper, sleep on the side of the mattress ( not the middle ) and often hang my feet over the sides. Lastly - I just had a total hip replacement so want support in my hip area. I am also looking at an adjustable - so I can adjust my legs when on my back ( eg 0 gravity ).

From what I have read ( and believe ), a cheaply made latex hybrid/spring can have worse edge support than a high quality all latex. And a high quality all latex should have less sag in the middle over time then a hybrid latex/spring. However, a latex/hybrid/spring with great quality springs can also have more firm edge support and provide more above the mattress sleep if that is what you are looking for. So it all depends on the construction and how much edge support your desire.

I have discussed this with one of TMU experts - Luma Sleep ( Stefano ) and the conversations have been fantastic. He has been extremely helpful. We have discussed two set ups for me ( with ILD tbd on the set up choice ).

1) Two Twin XL full Latex with their King 3" Talalay Latex Comfort Layer.
2) One King Latex Hybrid with their King 3" Talalay Latex Comfort Layer

Option 1) allows me to go to a complete dual set up - incase the need arises for sleeping for two full time. Two Hybrid Twin XLs might not be a great option for me sleeping as one.

I did ask Stefano about edge support between the two and this is his response:

Here’s what I can tell you about sitting on the edge of the mattresses:
I weigh 225lbs.
I sat on the edge of a Luma Hybrid Latex Slumber System with a Medium Comfort Layer - I sink in about 3-4” in total
I sat on the edge of an All Latex Slumber System with a Medium Comfort Layer - I sink in about 4-5” in total
Both mattresses feel supportive in sitting on the edge (i.e. that material absorbs the body mass and lift (pushes) back.
If you sit inside the mattress (i.e. your legs/feet hang over from your knees), there is no difference.

So it really comes down to - how much edge support do you need. All Latex is more expensive, but not a concern to me - as I want the best fit. I plan to visit Luma Sleep when I get my driving privileges back and can compare - as of now, I am leaning towards the all latex. I am also going with the LP S Cape adjustable base.

My recommendation is talk to one of the Experts with more details of what you are looking for - they are good. I can highly recommend Luma Sleep.

Best of Luck - Dan

Latex vs latex hybrid 21 May 2018 09:26 #3

That's good advice but an all latex bed with the kind of edge support you are looking for will probably end up being too firm for a side sleeper. I can tell you I sleep on soft latex and the edges, although soft, have never broken down. The reason spring mattresses are firmer on the edges is because there is more wear and tear in that area. When you sit you have all your weight in one area and thus compressing the springs much more on the edges than in the middle where your weight is evenly distributed. Latex will give quite a bit when you sit on the edge but the durability of a latex edge is outstanding. That being said latex mattress are not known for firm edges but rather edges that don't change over time. I find it way more comfortable to sit on the edge of a latex mattress than a reinforced spring edge but that's just me.

Take a look at the most sophisticated spring system to date at www.mattresses.net/ulhypoco.html and thanks again for the great questions.

Latex vs latex hybrid 22 May 2018 03:25 #4

Thanks for your POV Ken - I think this is something best to experience before you choose, if at all possible. I do like putting my arms behind me and jumping/lifting myself on the bed, for putting on socks etc.

Do you see a difference between a hybrid and all latex when sitting on an adjustable bed ?

Latex vs latex hybrid 22 May 2018 09:19 #5

Only that our hybrid has firmer edges but even though I have an all latex on an adjustable base I never feel like I'm going to roll off the edge and I do sleep right next to the edge.

Latex vs latex hybrid 25 May 2018 13:03 #6

Another question - how is the motion transfer compare between a latex and a spring/latex hybrid?

Thanks!

Latex vs latex hybrid 28 May 2018 12:13 #7

Hi ATennelle.

I just spoke with Ken/Arizona...he'll come to your aid and get back to you tomorrow. (he is away for the long weekend and the technology is not cooperative where he is); )

Latex vs latex hybrid 29 May 2018 14:55 #8

Both are great at limiting motion transfer but I have to say an all latex would be the best choice for that purpose.

Latex vs latex hybrid 07 Jul 2018 15:46 #9

Hello Arizona, sorry for the late reply. In regards to what you said here: "Latex will give quite a bit when you sit on the edge but the durability of a latex edge is outstanding. That being said latex mattress are not known for firm edges but rather edges that don't change over time. I find it way more comfortable to sit on the edge of a latex mattress than a reinforced spring edge but that's just me." I was wondering does that mean the impression made from sitting won't remain but bounce right back into place and not wear down? Also is a 9 inch latex thick enough for a 200 lb woman or do I need to add another inch (as in topper)?--- I ask because I've read that it should be at least 10 inches for someone that size.

Latex vs latex hybrid 09 Jul 2018 10:04 #10

Latex mattresses have been known to last over 20 years but so have spring mattresses. It's more about the filling layers the will provide the durability of either choice. The proper firmness latex over our pocket coil should last an easy 10-20 years and the same is true for the all latex. I sleep on soft all latex and have no issues at all with sides breaking down and my mattress is 17 years old. If you need a firm edge then the spring base will do that better than latex but as far as edge durability goes both will do great.

Durability can be an issue with latex if someone heavy chooses a layer that is too soft for their weight which is why a phone call is always recommended when choosing comfort layers.

Thank you for the question.

Moderators: Arizona Premium