Accurate information regarding latex mattresses, hybrid mattresses, adjustable bases, latex pillows, etc. Industry professional of over 40 years expertise in the mattress field currently using suppliers Talalay Global, Latexco, Radium Foam, Latex Green and Leggett & Platt.
Replies Timing Note: We will gladly answer your questions Monday through Friday,
....any posts accumulated during weekends will be answered Mondays.
Go to Arizona Premium EXPERT Profile & Articles
Go to Arrizona Premium BUSINESS Profile

Latex Hybrid or DIY? Overwhelmed and confused! 25 May 2018 05:26 #1

Hi! Please help me get unconfused!
I've been researching a new mattress since December and I feel like I'm no closer to making a choice.
Me:

• I have a budget of <$1000 if possible - I'm a teacher and it's just me so no second income to help out.
  • Side- and back-sleeper. I wake up A LOT with neck and shoulder pain on my current (very old) mattress. Too-soft mattress hurt my lower back though.
  • I want to maximize value and durability.

Mattress Needs & Research:
  • Good for side and back sleepers, I can't do too soft.
  • Balance value and durability against my tiny budget
  • I was going to to get the Nest Love & Sleep Mattress and kind was ok with it when I laid on it. Then I randomly laid on their latex hybrid and went WOW! I loved it ! But it's out of my budget.
  • I've looked at the Eco Terra hybrid because it's price is better, but I don't know much about the company, customer service, ect.
  • Well, now apparently DIY is a possibility!

So what do I do? Try the Eco Terra or attempt a diy option through mattresses.net? And how on earth to start that process?!
    I'm so confused!
    Thank you for your help!

Last edit: by pjunge.

Latex Hybrid or DIY? Overwhelmed and confused! 28 May 2018 12:08 #2

Hi pjunge.

I just spoke with Ken/Arizona.. he'll come to your aid and get back to you tomorrow. (he is away for the long weekend and the technology is not cooperative where he is); )

Last edit: by Phoenix.

Latex Hybrid or DIY? Overwhelmed and confused! 28 May 2018 22:25 #3

Thank you, Phoenix!
    I was going to call Arizona Mattress today, but the backyard called me!

Now I'm wondering if hybrid is the way to go or to go full latex? And of course, there's still the question of diy!

Latex Hybrid or DIY? Overwhelmed and confused! 29 May 2018 13:12 #4

Thank you for your questions and I will do my best to answer. The DIY aspect of our business has really taken off and is the best way to go when on a tight budget. I think that if you like the latex hybrid then that's what you should try to build yourself. Our Caliber Edge spring provides good overall support and top it off with 3" of Talalaly or Dunlop "medium" latex. Finish it off with our Bamboo/Wool zippered cover and you should come in under budget and yet not sacrificed any quality. Let me know if I can further assist you.

Latex Hybrid or DIY? Overwhelmed and confused! 31 May 2018 14:39 #5

Hi Ken,
    Thank you for helping me out on the phone the other day! I know you talk to a lot of people, so I don't expect you to remember the details, but I'm the teacher from Iowa.

I was all set to pull the trigger on a diy config and decided to look around once more before I did. Why did I do that?! I'm right back to being confused! I've narrowed it down 10 options from two different places and I just want someone to tell me what to buy! :silly:

Here are the options that are within my budget, including required covers:
    Sleep On Latex
    1. Pure Green™ Natural Latex Mattress Topper 2" 20 ild + Pure Green™ Natural Latex Mattress Medium 9"

Arizona Mattress (these would all be medium core + soft topper)
    1. LG Combi-Zone 6" + 100% 3" dunlop topper
    2. LG Combi-Zone 6" + 100% 3" talalay topper
    3. LG Combi-Zone 6" + 3" blended topper
    4. Blended Dunlop core + 100% 3" dunlop topper
    5. Blended Dunlop core + 100% 3" talalay topper
    6. Blended Dunlop core + 3" blended topper
    7. Ultimate Hybrid
    8. Eco Sleep Hybrid Bolsa
    9. Eco Sleep Hybrid Bolsa, 2" wavy topper w/cover
    I think I would like a slightly taller mattress, too. Would you recommend doing a 2" top on any of these for height? Or would that mess up the integrity of the mattress?

Thank you again for your help!

Latex Hybrid or DIY? Overwhelmed and confused! 31 May 2018 15:46 #6

I have a topper over my mattress for the additional comfort and height it provides so I like your idea of adding the 2" wavy on top of mattress build. I just made a special truckload purchase of the wavy toppers so I lowered the prices across the board on that item making even more attractive. I think the Eco with Bolsa and the wavy is an excellent choice and should come in at your budget. You will have about 12" of height.

Latex Hybrid or DIY? Overwhelmed and confused! 15 Jun 2018 14:04 #7

OK, I made a decision. Unfortunately, I didn't go with the DIY config from Arizona Premium Mattress. Not for any negative reasons, I just got too overwhelmed with all the possible options!
    When I worked out my personal equation, I realized that I wanted to keep it under $1000, 100% latex, medium/soft feel, and wool in the cover.
    I thought adjustability and the novelty of diy were in my equation, but it ended up that they weren't.
    I bought an SOL 3" soft topper to see if I liked the feel of latex and that's when I knew I didn't want a hybrid.
    I chose SOL's 9" mattress in medium and will put the topper over that for some height and plushness. I ordered it at noon YESTERDAY and I'm already laying on it!!!

Ken, thank you for all of your help and expertise! I'm sorry I wasn't able to go with your store this time around!

Here's a very scientific review of the mattress from my helpers: youtu.be/14aOjfU18zU

Latex Hybrid or DIY? Overwhelmed and confused! 15 Jun 2018 15:09 #8

No problem, glad to be of assistance and hope it all works out in the long run.

Moderators: Arizona Premium