Accurate information regarding latex mattresses, hybrid mattresses, adjustable bases, latex pillows, etc. Industry professional of over 40 years expertise in the mattress field currently using suppliers Talalay Global, Latexco, Radium Foam, Latex Green and Leggett & Platt.
Replies Timing Note: We will gladly answer your questions Monday through Friday,
....any posts accumulated during weekends will be answered Mondays.
Go to Arizona Premium EXPERT Profile & Articles
Go to Arrizona Premium BUSINESS Profile

diy hybrid presale questions 13 Jun 2018 12:12 #1

Hi Ive been browsing TMU for hours but this is my first post. Ive been needing a new mattress cause mine is pushing 20 years old. I have back issues & Ive been waking up in pain lately more than usual.
I was considering the nest hybrid latex but it is a few hundred $ out of reach, I called them & they said if I can wait a month they will be releasing a new latex hybrid for right around $1000. I reluctantly agreed cause I need something yesterday, anyway it is 5+ weeks later & now they tell me its gonna be at least another 4 weeks.
Then I found spindle which seemed like a good option but still slightly too expensive so I continued to browse for latex mattresses & luckily I found Ken & TMU (I have'nt spoke to ken yet) but Ive decided to go with a DIY hybrid from APM. I cant wait around for Nest any longer especially since they refuse to give me any details on what im waiting months to buy.

Now To my questions & concerns. What is the difference between mattresses.net/APM vs diymattress.net? Are they both APM? Is the quality of latex & materials the same from both sites?

I noticed that shipping was a little cheaper for me from diymattress.net & I think I can put something together thats within my budget but Im a little concerned with shipping times, are they realistically 2 weeks? I saw several posters in the threads that had to wait somewhat longer but those may have been around the holiday.

Im looking at getting an 8.5" combi zoned pocket coil & 3" latex but im thinkin I might need an additional 2" latex. If I only buy a 3" topper I will have a 12" bamboo cover that I will be stuck with if I decide to buy another 2" topper later cause the mattress will then need a 14" cover instead.
I am about 5'11" 210lbs and Mostly sleep on my back & rarely on my side. Will I feel the coils if I opt for only 3" of latex? and would I be alot better off by adding the other 2" latex as far as comfort goes? (If so I will just order both toppers now).

My other concern is firmness. Alot of people here in the forum state their current latex mattress is either way too soft or firm BUT they never state if they are using talaly/dunlop organic/blended etc. therefore its difficult to make an educated guess on what I may be comfortable with since they seldom specify what they have.
So please give me your opinion(s). Ive never physically tested the difference between dunlop & talalay but I'm thinkin on going with:
3" all natural dunlop in medium for the bottom layer
2" all natural talalay in medium for the top layer (since talalay is a liitle less dense).

I was gonna use a 2" all natural dunlop in soft for the top layer but im concerned if its too soft I wont have enough support for my back.

I feel like my overall preference is somewhere around medium but would prefer some plushness as long as it is supportive (hard to know for sure since ive been sleeping on this junk Eden by Lebeda for so long).

Last edit: by SDMF74.

diy hybrid presale questions 13 Jun 2018 14:01 #2

Great, well let me answer all your concerns. The only thing that takes a couple of weeks is making the zippered covers. Because we have so many options and so many sizes we find it more cost effective to make them to order. That being said you probably would not want to get the cover now anyway until you determine if 3" is enough for you or if you need to add another 2". While you are deciding you can still use the 8" coil with the latex and wrap it in just a fitted sheet. I would say to start off with a medium dunlop topper since you rarely sleep on your side. That might be all you need but if you want to add a little more comfort we have a great deal on a 2" wavy latex topper which is in the softer range. This way if you do utilize and additional layer we can now make the correct fitting cover. Of course based on your experience with just the 3" medium dunlop I can then help guide you if you think you do need another layer whether the wavy is good fit or something else like Talalay. Let me know if this makes sense to you.

diy hybrid presale questions 13 Jun 2018 14:16 #3

In addition the products are exactly the same on both sites although shipping costs may vary a bit due to the complexity of the software used on each site to calculate those costs.

diy hybrid presale questions 13 Jun 2018 16:17 #4

Awesome thanks Ken! I'm actually almost 100% sure I will be getting the 14" Bamboo cover as I need the extra height in my mattress anyway and will probably benefit having the extra 2" comfort layer.
Also I think I will stick with the all natural on both layers rather than getting the 2" wavy dunlop topper.

The website is now showing that you are out of stock on the Medium 2" all natural talalay so if that is the case I have put the Plush talalay in my shopping cart instead. The plush "might" be a better option for me anyway since it is just 2".

Im gonna give you a call soon. Thanks for answering my questions!

diy hybrid presale questions 13 Jun 2018 17:13 #5

OK it is a done deal, I pulled the trigger, Thanks Ken for answering my questions here and on the phone. I can hardly wait to finally get a good nights sleep!

AND PLEASE DONT FORGET TO MAKE MY BAMBOO ZIPPERED MATTRESS COVER 13" INSTEAD OF THE 14" I ORDERED.
(there was no option to order a 13" cover on the website)

Thanks Again!

diy hybrid presale questions 14 Jun 2018 09:12 #6

Order received and 13" cover noted. Thanks again for the order, you won't be disappointed.

diy hybrid presale questions 17 Jun 2018 11:06 #7

Your welcome, Hey Ken I wanted to let you know that when I asked you over the phone if you would throw in the 2 free latex pillows with my order I forgot to mention that the reason I asked about that was because I saw one of your youtube videos that mentions your offer of 2 free latex pillows with "ANY" latex mattress purchase.

Just thought you might want to update the video in the comment section with the proper wording, or state its an expired promotion so you dont encounter the same situation with another customer. I thought it might save you the headache in the future.

Thanks again!

diy hybrid presale questions 18 Jun 2018 09:46 #8

I have tons of videos out there if you could send me the link to the one you are talking about it would be greatly appreciated.

diy hybrid presale questions 18 Jun 2018 09:56 #9

I had to watch them all again to find it lol but it is this one here. There is a huge advert at 2:25 that shows the promo.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsp8VIU-2MM

EDIT: Also there was an email sent out to me on June 9th that said the same thing, well with one small distinction. It said "complete" latex mattress.

Arizona Premium Mattress Co. is offering 2 Free Latex Pillows with purchase of a "complete" latex mattress (value up to $138)

Last edit: by SDMF74.

diy hybrid presale questions 18 Jun 2018 13:44 #10

That's an old video for sure. Thanks for providing the link.

Moderators: Arizona Premium