Accurate information regarding latex mattresses, hybrid mattresses, adjustable bases, latex pillows, etc. Industry professional of over 40 years expertise in the mattress field currently using suppliers Talalay Global, Latexco, Radium Foam, Latex Green and Leggett & Platt.
Replies Timing Note: We will gladly answer your questions Monday through Friday,
....any posts accumulated during weekends will be answered Mondays.
Go to Arizona Premium EXPERT Profile & Articles
Go to Arrizona Premium BUSINESS Profile

In need of a soft mattress replacement and overwhelmed by choices 16 Sep 2018 19:53 #1

Hi there,

I am a student at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore and when I moved out here I pulled the trigger on the Nectar bed in box mattress. But so far, it hasn't been treating me well. Overall it just feels a bit too firm. My arm gets sore sleeping on my side and I sometimes wake up with back pain. After browsing on this website I realized I may have trusted online review sites too much without doing enough research. But even after doing my research, I am still overwhelmed by choices.

Since this is a latex thread, I will narrow it down to latex mattress that I am interested but so far here my constraints are that I am 5'10" and 150 pounds that sometimes sleeps with a partner. I tend to prefer cooler sleeping situations. I have had better experiences with very soft mattresses and assume that a soft mattress will help me with my current problems with my mattress. My budget is $1000 but preferably lower. I also currently have a zinus metal platform bed frame, in case that makes a difference.

The options I have found so far (in the latex category) are Sedona Serenity, Arizona Eco Sleep Hybrid, and the luma mattress. I have also considered just putting a topper on my current mattress instead of returning and replacing. Any help in deciding between these options/ further recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Tyler

Last edit: by lerthedc.

In need of a soft mattress replacement and overwhelmed by choices 17 Sep 2018 09:09 #2

Almost all if not all bed in a box mattresses run on the firm side so I'm not surprised you are having issues. I would love to sell you a complete mattress but honestly I think the best solution is to just add a 3" #19 Talalay topper over the Nectar www.mattresses.net/qu3bltalamat.html You could possibly get away with a 2" if you only need a little more softness. Alternately our Eco Sleep with the same 3" #19 topper would be a complete mattress solution and is under budget.

In need of a soft mattress replacement and overwhelmed by choices 17 Sep 2018 09:58 #3

Thank you for the reply! I am still within my return period for the Nectar so it's not out of the question to return it and get new mattress ( although just getting a topper would be the easier option.) What kind of differences would I expect if I got the full mattress as opposed to adding the topper?

Also could you say a bit more about the softness and feel of the 3 inch topper? My only calibration points are my current mattress and one of the soft tempur pedic cloud models that I briefly tried at a mall. I've never tried latex before.

In need of a soft mattress replacement and overwhelmed by choices 17 Sep 2018 11:05 #4

Latex can be soft and yet still supportive. It feels nothing like Memory foam. It's a floating vs. sinking feel. Try searching savvyrest.com for a local dealer where you can tryout different latex toppers. Having a sense of how it feels first will help me determine the best option for you.

In need of a soft mattress replacement and overwhelmed by choices 17 Sep 2018 17:55 #5

The nearest one is a bit of drive but I will try to do that when I have time.

In case I decide to replace the mattress, I wanted to ask how does the eco hybrid compare to the sedona serenity (plush versions on both)? I know they have different structures and components other than the top layer but I'm trying to get a general sense on how that will affect the feel.

In need of a soft mattress replacement and overwhelmed by choices 18 Sep 2018 09:18 #6

Because we make the Eco Sleep you will get a better return on investment (more for your money). The Eco uses a high quality pocket coil spring made by the #1 spring manufacturer plus you get 3 full inches of Talalay latex, not just one. You also get a zippered cover which means you have access to the inside components if you ever need to change anything out years from now. The Serenity is actually going to be discontinued due to poor sales.

In need of a soft mattress replacement and overwhelmed by choices 19 Sep 2018 10:35 #7

Thank you for informing me. At this point I think I want to go with something with a 3 inch latex top. But I have choices of support cores. The simplest measure would be to just put a topper on top of my current mattress and not deal with a return.

Alternatively, it would be overall cheaper to return the mattress and get either the Sedona foam core with a topper or the Eco Sleep Hybrid. Would you be able to tell me about the difference I might expect in these options?

Also, it says your ultra plush latex topper is not recommended for anyone over 150 lbs., but I assume it's ok for someone who is exactly 150 lbs? Just wanted to be sure.

And lastly, is there any difference other than convenience in getting the eco sleep hybrid vs buying the topper, springs and cover separately and putting them together?

In need of a soft mattress replacement and overwhelmed by choices 19 Sep 2018 10:49 #8

The difference in feel between a foam core and a spring base will be the extra bounce you get from the spring. A foam core will create more of a dead bed in that regard. Talalay latex does have some bounce to it however. There is no right or wrong, it's more of what you are use to. As far as the Eco Sleep vs. buying the components you will save a little money but give up the ability to return for refund when doing the components. You can still do a comfort exchange on the latex but no returns for refund. Other than that the bed will be the same either way.

Moderators: Arizona Premium
The Mattress UndergroundCopyright © 2021 The Mattress Underground.