Accurate information regarding latex mattresses, hybrid mattresses, adjustable bases, latex pillows, etc. Industry professional of over 40 years expertise in the mattress field currently using suppliers Talalay Global, Latexco, Radium Foam, Latex Green and Leggett & Platt.
Replies Timing Note: We will gladly answer your questions Monday through Friday,
....any posts accumulated during weekends will be answered Mondays.
Go to Arizona Premium EXPERT Profile & Articles
Go to Arrizona Premium BUSINESS Profile

Help with DIY on 2010 Latex Foam mattress 21 Sep 2018 07:59 #1

Good Morning! My husband and I had purchased an Original Mattress Factory Latex foam mattress in 2010 and have been terribly uncomfortable from the outset. Hammock effect and back pain.After contacting them today,I have found the construction is 7 inches of 5lb density 32ILD Talalay latex blend(60/40)core,surrounded by 1'' of "quilted" PU foam.It is flippable.I asked if it was most likely eggcrate foam and was told yes.
I am assuming from my reading on this site,that the PU foam is the culprit and has to come out.It hasn't provided enough comfort layer to keep us from hitting the firm latex core.
My questions are:Is the latex core a good base to start with? After removing PU foam would you reccommend a 2" 19ILD latex topper for a new comfort level? Am I correct in assuming the latex core was too firm through the useless 1" of PU foam and causing pain?
Thank you !

Last edit: by golgi101. Reason: added information

Help with DIY on 2010 Latex Foam mattress 21 Sep 2018 09:05 #2

Strip it down to just the latex and put a sheet over everything for a few nights. It will probably feel too firm to you but mainly you want to make sure that the latex is still fine and no signs of dipping. If all is well then you need to determine is it a little too firm or a lot too firm. A little too firm means a 2" 19 should take care of it but if it's way too firm then you need to go with a 3" 19. Let me know your findings and thank you for the questions.

Help with DIY on 2010 Latex Foam mattress 21 Sep 2018 09:17 #3

Thanks SO much for your quick response!

Help with DIY on 2010 Latex Foam mattress 21 Sep 2018 09:50 #4

Glad to help.

Help with DIY on 2010 Latex Foam mattress 07 Oct 2018 07:24 #5

As per your instructions,we slept on the stripped down latex core for about a week.My husband found it perfect for him but although the hammock effect was gone after removing quilted PU top,and I really loved the support, I felt it was too firm.I added 2 one inch 5lb. sensus foam toppers that are about 7 years old and was good for a few days.Then slight hammock-ing and pain in back and shoulders.These foam toppers may very well be at the end of their lifespan but wanted to give it a try.Was thinking of cutting them down the middle lengthwise and flipping them to bring the unused outside edges to the inside.
What I am trying to determine is if I find the MF topper too firm or not firm enough and how that would translate to the latex foam topper and ILD choice.I am interested in the wavy dunlop as it seems that the firmness lies between the 2 talalay topper ILDs AND gives you two options!
I dont know of any mattress stores nearby where I could test different latex toppers to determine what works so trying to narrow down as best I can.
What is your opinion?
Thanks so much,Ken!

Help with DIY on 2010 Latex Foam mattress 08 Oct 2018 09:14 #6

Without having any real info on the memory foam to compare to, it really just comes down to what works. The Wavy is priced so low that I think it's worth a shot to try it and then I'll at least have something to gauge by if it doesn't work.

Last edit: by Arizona Premium. Reason: mispell

Help with DIY on 2010 Latex Foam mattress 22 Oct 2018 07:20 #7

My guess is the Hammock effect you are experiencing will transfer to any ILD sub straight you put over it including the one inch 5lb. sensus foam toppers.

Moderators: Arizona Premium