Accurate information regarding latex mattresses, hybrid mattresses, adjustable bases, latex pillows, etc. Industry professional of over 40 years expertise in the mattress field currently using suppliers Talalay Global, Latexco, Radium Foam, Latex Green and Leggett & Platt.
Replies Timing Note: We will gladly answer your questions Monday through Friday,
....any posts accumulated during weekends will be answered Mondays.
Go to Arizona Premium EXPERT Profile & Articles
Go to Arrizona Premium BUSINESS Profile

DIY build feedback 04 Oct 2018 12:02 #1

Hi Everyone,

New this forum and have been doing quite a bit of research. I understand with DIY there might be some experimentation involved and I am fine with that.

First off I am am 5'11 170lbs my significant other is 5'3 120lbs.
So this is the initial build I have in mind:

Quantum Edge Elite Bolsa Springs over the CombiZone as we are not too heavy or high bmi, so i don't think we need the zoned areas. I assume the Bolsa is similar to a non-zoned version of the combizone.

3" Blended Talalay Latex Mattress Topper 28ILD

2" 5.3lb memory foam

At first I want to test just the Talalay on the Springs to see if that is enough. But we like the memory foam feeling and may add a 2" layer just to get that sinking feeling. Hoping a 2" is just enough to get a sinking feeling and getting extra comfort and support from the talalay underneath it.

What do you guys think? Is MF on top of talalay just weird and might not work well together?

Also I am a hot sleeper so when the time comes to get a cover for the setup, I was looking to get a wool cover for its breathability and its fireproof characteristics. But it seems like all of the wool covers I have seen are quilted which makes them thick and can affect feel of the mattress.
Is there any cover recommendations that are breathable, thin enough to not affect feel, and also fireproof?

I know it was a lot of questions. But any help would be great. Thanks!

Last edit: by phamj88.

DIY build feedback 04 Oct 2018 12:18 #2

Thank you for reaching out. I agree about the bolsa over the combizone in your case. I hate memory foam for many reasons but be prepared to sleep hotter if you choose it to put over the talalay latex. Perhaps putting in under the talalay will give you some of the memory foam feel without compromising air flow. People choosing latex are generally running away from memory so your request is a little odd but I get it.
Although not listed on our site we can make our organic cotton cover with standard FR material instead of wool and it will be only about 3/8" thick. We make these for people who are allergic to wool. Wool has to be quilted otherwise it will shift around and become thin in one area and thick in another.

DIY build feedback 04 Oct 2018 12:33 #3

Thanks Ken for the insanely quick response!

Yep! I get the request is a little odd. We are going to try to lay on some more latex beds this weekend just to get a better feel for what we want. Maybe we won't even need the MF layer.

I was hoping the combination of springs and talalay under the MF would help with cooling and also a breathable case and protector. Also hoping a 2" would be thin enough that heat wouldn't be too big of an issue.
But I definitely also had that thought of putting the MF layer under the talalay. So that would be some experimenting on my end.

Good to know about the cotton cover with FR material. Does the wool cover actually affect the feel of the mattress that much? I was hoping to go for a wool option, but will do the cotton alternative.

Last edit: by phamj88.

DIY build feedback 04 Oct 2018 13:12 #4

I prefer having the top layer over the finished mattress which puts me directly on the latex without any possible interference from the quilted cover. The cover does affect the feel but on a very small scale. I also much prefer the floating feel for all latex vs. the sinking feel that I get from memory foam. Try as many configurations as are available in your area before you make a decision.

DIY build feedback 01 Nov 2018 07:59 #5

I got my dunlop cores and latex talalay comfort layer and they are awesome!!
I have ordered a cotton case from Ken as well.

I have another question but wasn't sure where to post as it has to do with foamorder.
Ordered a Eastern King 2" 5.3lb memory foam topper.
I weighed it out of packaging and it was about 36.5 lbs.
I realized that there was cover on it, so I took the cover off and weighed it separately.
It was about 4.5 lbs.

Which means the foam by by itself weighs roughly 32lbs and would put the density around 4.5lbs.
I contacted foamorder about what it should weigh and they said 37lbs. I haven't heard back after I emailed them the details above.

What should I do? Should I just chalk it up to scale innacuracy?
There is also a 3" tear in the foam. Memory foam seems pretty delicate so I assumed it was due to shipment since it rolled and vacuumed.

Any feedback would great and feel free to move this reply if this isn't the right space.

DIY build feedback 03 Nov 2018 19:21 #6

Hi phamj88.

I am glad that you are happy with the products you received from Arizona Premium. :)

Ken is traveling at the moment and won’t be available until to Tuesday so I’ll chime in so that you can get this issue resolved.

From the measurements of the memory foam topper provided you received a 4.5lbs density layer and not a 5.3lbs as you ordered. Regardless of the incorrect foam density the topper also has a 3” tear which will propagate over time and something like this should be replaced. I’d make sure to contact Foamorder to let them know that you received an incorrect density memory foam layer with a 3” tear and ask for the correct product to be sent… I am sure they’d be happy to rush you a replacement.

Good luck and please let us know how it works out for you.

Last edit: by Phoenix.

DIY build feedback 06 Nov 2018 08:14 #7

I agree, run the issues back to foamorder and they should be able to take care of it.

Moderators: Arizona Premium