Accurate information regarding latex mattresses, hybrid mattresses, adjustable bases, latex pillows, etc. Industry professional of over 40 years expertise in the mattress field currently using suppliers Talalay Global, Latexco, Radium Foam, Latex Green and Leggett & Platt.
Replies Timing Note: We will gladly answer your questions Monday through Friday,
....any posts accumulated during weekends will be answered Mondays.
Go to Arizona Premium EXPERT Profile & Articles
Go to Arrizona Premium BUSINESS Profile

DIY Build Questions 12 Nov 2018 21:27 #1

Greetings TMU,

Going to try keeping this short and to the point. Purchasing a new mattress soon and decided latex as the comfort layer is a good choice for me. Arizona Premium Mattress/Mattresses.net seems to have a good selection of materials at good prices.

My circumstances seem to very closely resemble this user's post . I LOVE a soft feel on the top.

My specs:
  • side sleeper 95% of the time
  • 5' 9" ~215lbs
Questions:
  • Hybrid pocket coil + latex or full latex?
  • What combination of layers and ILD's(prefer 19 ILD Talalay on top)? Talalay+Talalay? Talalay + Dunlop?
  • All 3" layers on the pocket coils? Combo of 2" and 3"?

DIY Build Questions 13 Nov 2018 12:02 #2

If going with the hybrid then you only need to two top layers.

DIY Build Questions 13 Nov 2018 12:28 #3

DIY Build Questions 13 Nov 2018 15:45 #4

Good advice and glad it worked out good for you!

DIY Build Questions 15 Nov 2018 16:42 #5

Arizona Premium wrote: Thanks for the questions. Customers in our showroom prefer the feel of all latex over the pocket coil 2-1. If doing all latex I would do Firm latex (36) on the bottom, then Medium (28) then the soft #19. You can do either dunlop or talalay on the bottom.

If going with the hybrid then you only need to two top layers.

Think I'll go hybrid with the 8" coils. Will using 2 of the 2" wavy Dunlop(4" total) + the 3" 19 ILD Talalay be overkill/too many layers? The price and feel customization of the wavy latex is very tempting. Figured it would be interesting to play around with flipping the wavy latex around or stacking them in different orientations with the Talalay. Does the feel (wavy side or flat) change only when used as the top layer or the feel changes used as the 2nd layer too?

And if 4" of the wavy latex is too much I could give one to a family member/friend. That complicates the cover though, as the depth (15" or 13") would be unknown until a final combination of layers is decided. Would likely have to purchase the cover at a later date.

Will the pocket coils be fine on a ~25 year old box spring?

Schenkelini wrote: I recently built a twin mattress using Ken's 7" poly base layer (ILD 31), followed by his wavy 2" latex hybrid layer (ILD 24), followed by a Dunlop 3" layer (ILD 20). I am a side sleeper and have similar proportions to you. This combination works great for me. I have not pain or stillness. I am 63 years old and play tennis 3 times a week. When I wake up I feel like I am in my 40's! I wanted to go cheap due to this being a den mattress. If you really like a soft feel I would think if you went with all latex it would be even softer.

Your mattress sounds amazing! I used to play tennis but was never very good. People in my graduating class were top 100 in state so compared to them... not so good. Super impressive to still be playing at your age! Currently 29, waking up feeling 50 haha.

Last edit: by M3TAl.

DIY Build Questions 16 Nov 2018 12:29 #6

The wavy toppers can be used anywhere in the build and you can play with the waves up or down on both. Your idea of playing with the 2 wavy toppers is interesting and doable but I think it's overkill if using the 3" 19. If doing so then I would wait to get the cover until you are certain you want to use all 3 in the final build. As far as the 25 year old box springs, time to retire them. I have had many people complain about their new mattress already dipping only to find out it was the box springs causing the issue, not the mattress.

DIY Build Questions 17 Nov 2018 16:03 #7

I would think that a single wavy layer would be plenty, but they are very affordable. Why no experiment! It is a lot of fun.

DIY Build Questions 18 Nov 2018 14:04 #8

I just ordered the components for my DIY mattress last week. I'm so excited to get it and see how it feels! After so much deliberation, I was getting overwhelmed and finally pulled the trigger.

Everything came from Arizona Premium. I selected the 8" combi coils, a 2" Dunlop medium layer and a 3" Talalay plush layer. and the bamboo cover.

I hope this feels as amazing as I think it will. Will certainly post my thoughts when it comes and I've tried it out!

DIY Build Questions 19 Nov 2018 08:52 #9

Thank you for the order, I'm sure you will be very happy with your selections.

DIY Build Questions 19 Nov 2018 21:17 #10

About to place my order for the coils, protector, and 2x wavy Dunlop, holding off on a cover/encasement for now. Besides the cover depth I still can't even decide between a basic/thin knit cover that gets you super close to the latex or something a little thicker/quilted with wool? So many choices :unsure: .

Decided to get the top Talalay layer from Mattresses247 at eBay as they seem to keep some stock on hand. Hopefully it will arrive early next week so it can be used on my current mattress in the meantime. Being the holidays and a produce on order outfit, I'm expecting the stuff from Arizona Mattress to take a good 3-4 weeks to arrive.

Moderators: Arizona Premium