Accurate information regarding latex mattresses, hybrid mattresses, adjustable bases, latex pillows, etc. Industry professional of over 40 years expertise in the mattress field currently using suppliers Talalay Global, Latexco, Radium Foam, Latex Green and Leggett & Platt.
Replies Timing Note: We will gladly answer your questions Monday through Friday,
....any posts accumulated during weekends will be answered Mondays.
Go to Arizona Premium EXPERT Profile & Articles
Go to Arrizona Premium BUSINESS Profile

DIY Mattress - Would only one topper be enough support until later? 27 Mar 2019 04:47 #1

After researching for what seemed like forever, I decided the DIY mattress made the most sense. The idea of changing layers as needed instead of buying an entirely new mattress appealed to me as a consistently broke person.
I need to replace my current 8-year-old creaky spring mattress ASAP. The ideal mattress I want to assemble is well over $1k (see below). I will have about $500 next month.
My question is would the 7" Certi-Pur-US Base Foam for DIY Mattress and 2" Wavy Latex Topper Blowout Special be even remotely comfortable until I can add more layers in a few months?
Me: Female, 5'6', 230lb, hot sleeper, combination side/back positions, not concerned with natural materials, hesitant on coils/springs after dealing with my current mattress
Ideal mattress:
  • queen size
  • at least 12" thick
  • comfort layer: latex, medium, 3"
  • transition layer: memory foam/latex, firm, 3"
  • core: latex or high-quality poly foam, firm/extra firm, 6-8"
  • temperature balancing ticking mattress cover

DIY Mattress - Would only one topper be enough support until later? 27 Mar 2019 09:26 #2

Thank you for reaching out to us. The DIY foam core is quite firm and adding the 2" wavy will give it a little cush so overall it would be a medium/firm feel. Pretty sure you will need that additional layer when you can afford it.

DIY Mattress - Would only one topper be enough support until later? 27 Mar 2019 10:49 #3

Ok, thank you for your reply.

Do you think the overall "ideal" combination would work for me?

DIY Mattress - Would only one topper be enough support until later? 27 Mar 2019 11:19 #4

Yes, I think all you will need to finish the bed will be a 3" #32 or #28 Talalay depending on how you react to the core and 2" wavy.

DIY Mattress - Would only one topper be enough support until later? 07 Apr 2019 18:33 #5

Hi Ken,

Trying to decide between your bamboo and cotton mattress covers. I understand the cotton is much thinner since the wool is compressed. That sounds like what I want but I am concerned about heat.

It seems to me the the bamboo would breathe better and sleep cooler which is much more important to me. Which would you recommend?

DIY Mattress - Would only one topper be enough support until later? 08 Apr 2019 10:21 #6

They both breathe just fine, no right or wrong choice.

Moderators: Arizona Premium