Accurate information regarding latex mattresses, hybrid mattresses, adjustable bases, latex pillows, etc. Industry professional of over 40 years expertise in the mattress field currently using suppliers Talalay Global, Latexco, Radium Foam, Latex Green and Leggett & Platt.
Replies Timing Note: We will gladly answer your questions Monday through Friday,
....any posts accumulated during weekends will be answered Mondays.
Go to Arizona Premium EXPERT Profile & Articles
Go to Arrizona Premium BUSINESS Profile

Topper or New Mattress 20 Apr 2019 10:04 #1

Hello! I currently have a 3 year old BeautyRestBlack Alexia extra firm, and I'm using a 2" medium talalay topper. Due to my size/weight 6'5" 350" (hoping to get down to 300 in the next 6 months lol) I'm finding this may be too soft a situation even with the firm bed.

I was debating picking up a firmer/thicker dunlop topper, or would it be better to spring for a whole new mattress like one of your hybrids?

I really appreciate the help!!

Topper or New Mattress 22 Apr 2019 09:38 #2

I would try a firmer dunlop topper first. If it doesn't work you can always pick up our Combi zone spring and a zippered cover to go with the extra firm dunlop topper to complete you new bed.

Topper or New Mattress 24 Apr 2019 23:50 #3

I'm struggling with the same issue as the original post.

I'm 6"2 195 pound side sleeper, currently on a firmer mattress 3 year old mattress. I have been having troubles with sleeping on my side, primarily with pain in my thoracic back and/or neck. My shoulders quite often feel scrunched. I went to the mattress store where I bought the mattress and the sales person sold me a 2" foam topper. It doesn't seem to help me. To try something out i put a 2" memory foam topper we previosly had from Costco on top of the other topper and that didn't help either.

I guess I could go back to the mattress store, but what else could the do? Any suggestions? Am I just better off in getting a new mattress or can i rework my cuurrent mattress with a different topper?

Topper or New Mattress 25 Apr 2019 10:15 #4

You are probably sinking straight through the memory foam so my suggestion would be to try 3" of soft #19 Talalay latex instead of memory foam. If you existing mattress has no dips in it then you should try and work with it. If it does have dips then you may need a new softer mattress or go through our DIY section and take it apart and replace the defective foam new softer foam.

Topper or New Mattress 25 Apr 2019 16:01 #5

Thanks for the advice. I will investigate doing that.

Topper or New Mattress 26 Apr 2019 14:25 #6

Hi Ken,

I tend to be broad shouldered, would it make sense to get a topper of different density for my upper body versus my lower body?

Topper or New Mattress 29 Apr 2019 09:28 #7

We've never had anyone request that before so I don't really have an answer for you. Depending on the size there could be a lost of waist and you could end up having to buy 2 toppers to make one if you wanted to do something like that.

Topper or New Mattress 06 Jun 2019 19:26 #8

Hi Ken,

So I went back to the mattress store(he's a member of the forum), he gave me a 2" "super soft" topper, but it didn't really help me. Any other suggestions?

Topper or New Mattress 07 Jun 2019 10:34 #9

My original suggestion of a 3" #19 Talalay still stands as my best advice.

Topper or New Mattress 13 Jun 2019 05:40 #10

Thanks for the suggestion.

Moderators: Arizona Premium