Accurate information regarding latex mattresses, hybrid mattresses, adjustable bases, latex pillows, etc. Industry professional of over 40 years expertise in the mattress field currently using suppliers Talalay Global, Latexco, Radium Foam, Latex Green and Leggett & Platt.
Replies Timing Note: We will gladly answer your questions Monday through Friday,
....any posts accumulated during weekends will be answered Mondays.
Go to Arizona Premium EXPERT Profile & Articles
Go to Arrizona Premium BUSINESS Profile

Serta Rebuild Update 16 Sep 2019 16:48 #1

In August, 2018 I rebuilt a Serta King mattress using two 3" medium Talalay Twin XL sections, one of your Arizona Premium 12" Bamboo covers and the original Serta pocket coil section. www.themattressunderground.com/mattress-forum/arizona-premium-mattress/21991-serta-rebuild.html?start=0

The rebuilt mattress has worked out ok, but the foam surrounding the pocket coils is now breaking down on the outside edges. My wife, who has ongoing health issues and limited arm and leg strength has slipped off and fallen to the floor several times while sitting on the bedside trying to get up. The mattress edge is soft and offers little support. I did install a bed rail, but with her limited arm strength she was still unable to hold on.

I am considering redoing the mattress into a split king configuration with adjustable base, reusing the Talalay Twin XL sections, adding new cores and covers, discarding the pocket coils and unfortunately the Bamboo cover. A slightly shorter height (present overall height from floor is about 23") would be beneficial also as she has fairly short legs. What type and thickness of core would you recommend, coil or latex? Also, what adjustable base would be best?

Last edit: by vlcakc.

Serta Rebuild Update 17 Sep 2019 09:29 #2

And Serta tells you the foam edge is a good thing because it's firmer and last longer, ya right. An all latex bed will be the very best for an adjustable bed because of how well it bends to the curves of the adjustable base. Any base will work fine, it just depends on what features you are looking for. The cores are 6" so if you are going to use the 2 3" toppers then the mattress will remain at 12" so you need to make sure the adjustable base has adjustable height legs so that you will be able to lower the overall finished height. I'm sorry the rebuild didn't work out, it's always the foam that causes issues.

Serta Rebuild Update 18 Sep 2019 23:03 #3

Ken, thanks for your reply. My OP perhaps was not clear and needs some clarification.

1. I was planning on using only one of the 3" toppers in each Twin Xl mattress. With a 6" core that would put the thickness at 9". I am 6'-3", 220 lbs. and my wife is 5'-3", 230 lbs., both side sleepers. Would 9" be enough? Ideally what thickness and firmness combination of cores and toppers would you recommend? I would certainly want to reuse the 3" medium Talalay toppers, if possible.

2. I plan to use a Leggett and Platt adjustable base. Is the Prodigy line the only one available in Split King configuration? We don't need a lot of fancy features, just good solid quality. What do you recommend?

Last edit: by vlcakc.

Serta Rebuild Update 19 Sep 2019 11:54 #4

Normally I would recommend firm cores for you weights but since you are both side sleepers I'm afraid it would be too firm with your medium toppers so I'm recommending Medium #32 cores.

The Prodigy is overkill for your needs so I would go with 2 TwinXL Scape 2.0 instead. Split King is just another term for 2 TwinXL's and everyone makes TwinXL size adjustable bases. Split Cal. King is a different story and can be hard to find.

Serta Rebuild Update 25 Feb 2020 15:23 #5

We have started research to select an adjustable split-king base. The wife suffers from a medical condition that requires that she sleep with her head elevated. Since she is a side sleeper we have been rethinking our choice of an adjustable base. We are now wondering if a Glideaway Oddesa with tilt feature would be a better choice than the L & P S-Cape 2.0 since the Oddesa can elevate the head end and still remain flat. The Oddesa, however, has generally poor reviews on Amazon. Can anyone give us feed back on experience with the Oddesa, good or poor? Thanks.

Serta Rebuild Update 25 Feb 2020 15:31 #6

Sorry, was unable to edit the previous post. Base should be Glideaway Odessa.

Serta Rebuild Update 26 Feb 2020 08:27 #7

I've sold their original inclining bed called the Elevation with no problems. The names have changed but the technology is still the same. Glideaway has been around for a very long time and their customer service is very good. You might want to also look at their Vesta model which also has the incline feature which is something you need for a side sleeper who needs the head raised. A standard adjustable base like the S-Cape will not work right for a side sleeper.

Serta Rebuild Update 26 Feb 2020 09:30 #8

Ken, thanks for the reply. Since my previous post I have found a possible alternative to the Glideaway Odessa. The L & P website shows a Symmetry INC model that apparently has a tilt feature as "Coming Soon". lpadjustablebeds.com/Files/downloads/Symmetry-INC-product-sheet.pdf

I have not been able to Google an on-line retailer that offers this model, so assume it probably hasn't been released yet. Any insight?

Serta Rebuild Update 27 Feb 2020 16:58 #9

They introduced it at the Winter Furniture Market in Las Vegas which means it will come out around May. Keep checking around that time.

Serta Rebuild Update 28 Feb 2020 12:39 #10

Our needs are more immediate than May, so we will go ahead with the Glideaway Odessa adjustable rather than wait for the L & P Symmetry INC.

I was able to try an all Talalay latex mattress yesterday that had a 3" medium topper over a 6" firm core. Felt very comfy and kept my spine in good alignment which has been a problem lately. On that basis I ordered two each of the 6" firm natural Talalay TwinXL cores and 9" Bamboo zippered covers from APM to use with my existing 3" medium Talalay toppers. Ken, I noted your concern that the firm core might be too firm for side sleepers, but decided to go with the firm core since it felt right in the showroom.

Moderators: Arizona Premium