Accurate information regarding latex mattresses, hybrid mattresses, adjustable bases, latex pillows, etc. Industry professional of over 40 years expertise in the mattress field currently using suppliers Talalay Global, Latexco, Radium Foam, Latex Green and Leggett & Platt.
Replies Timing Note: We will gladly answer your questions Monday through Friday,
....any posts accumulated during weekends will be answered Mondays.
Go to Arizona Premium EXPERT Profile & Articles
Go to Arrizona Premium BUSINESS Profile

support system for today's heavier mattresses 23 Oct 2019 08:19 #1

What is considered a good support system for today's heavier mattresses. I have an existing wooden slatted system -.. The mattresses I am considering with people and pillows would weigh around 318 lbs to 475 lbs. Some are hybrid with dunlop latex some are innerspring with some foams.

What is recommended for distance between slats, dimensions of slats (thickness- width and height- measured from top to bottom and across slats) and center supports ( how many and positions).
What is considered a "sturdy" support? Thank you

support system for today's heavier mattresses 23 Oct 2019 10:02 #2

Good question, I designed this wood foundation to support the heavier latex mattresses. Some might call it overkill but I call it safe - www.mattresses.net/wood-foundations.html If you scroll down the page you will see all the specifications you are asking about. This or something like this is what you will need. Let me know if you have any other questions.

support system for today's heavier mattresses 23 Oct 2019 10:19 #3

Thank you for the reply. The problem is I want to keep my bed frame and headboard but need to change the wooden slatted support system as it is about 4 inches in between slats, 1 inch from top to bottom of each slat (height?) and 1.25 in. across top. Would I need a carpenter/cabinet maker to do this? I thought slats between 2-3 inches, top-bottom 1.5 and across ? What are best dimensions for support and how many leg supports are needed ?

Last edit: by Jumbled7.

support system for today's heavier mattresses 23 Oct 2019 10:57 #4

If you have a 4" gap between slats then a 1 x 3 will fit perfectly in between. Home Depot sells 1 x 3" so you just need to buy several of those to fill in the gaps. 6-9 legs are recommended.

support system for today's heavier mattresses 23 Oct 2019 13:08 #5

Thanks again. Will the 1 inch measurement be sturdy enough? Where do you suggest placing the legs- 3 down the center from top to bottom or across the middle width wise?

support system for today's heavier mattresses 23 Oct 2019 14:25 #6

Yes, the mattress industry uses 1" thick slats on just about everything. I would put 3 legs down each side and in the middle for a total of 9

support system for today's heavier mattresses 23 Oct 2019 14:45 #7

Thanks. What kind of wood would you suggest to go in-between the existing wood- the frame is about 15 years old and I don't know what kind of wood the slats are. The 1 by 3 would go between the existing slats which are 1 by 1.25. Is replacing all the slats better - or will it be negligible- but will definitely increase the cost.

support system for today's heavier mattresses 23 Oct 2019 15:08 #8

Usually spruce is what is used. Pine has big knots so stay away from that. HD will carry spruce for their 1 x 3's I'm pretty sure.

support system for today's heavier mattresses 23 Oct 2019 16:06 #9

How would mahogany or oak compare with spruce? Thanks for telling me about the pine-good info. to know. I think I am coming to the end of my questions-let me know if I am missing anything. Thanks again.

support system for today's heavier mattresses 23 Oct 2019 16:37 #10

Overkill and expensive for your needs.

Moderators: Arizona Premium