Accurate information regarding latex mattresses, hybrid mattresses, adjustable bases, latex pillows, etc. Industry professional of over 40 years expertise in the mattress field currently using suppliers Talalay Global, Latexco, Radium Foam, Latex Green and Leggett & Platt.
Replies Timing Note: We will gladly answer your questions Monday through Friday,
....any posts accumulated during weekends will be answered Mondays.
Go to Arizona Premium EXPERT Profile & Articles
Go to Arrizona Premium BUSINESS Profile

Soft, plush hybrid mattress, reverse zoning or no zoning? 13 Nov 2019 12:44 #1

I am a female side sleeper, 5'9", 200 lbs, 53.

When sleeping on my side I need to raise my feet on an adjustable base just a smidge to straighten out my spine for pain relief. I have had an all latex mattress for 15 years and now find coils are more comfortable so want to make a switch. I am also tired of latex smell in the bedroom. My old one has stunk of latex on and off for the 15 years and never lost the latex odor. It was a Boulder Foam Source 8" Nulex with 2" soft talalay on top and 6" medium talalay on the bottom.

Have recently tried Joybed LXP soft. This is pretty good for my back and hips. Only problem is I have twice not gotten a mattress that is made to the specs. online and neither mattress has included the law tags with component information. Basically the mattresses are not made to standard sizes, aren't the height advertised and do not contain any information about the contents on the law tags. Would love it if this worked out but the company seems very disorganized and not knowledgeable about their own products so not sure how much of what they post on their web site is true/accurate.

Next try was the My Green Mattress Natural Escape. Love the info on-line. Company seems to have their act together and there was no odor to the product. Mattress was as advertised. However, the zoning with the middle one-third firmer than the top and the bottom puts my body into an arc with the hips and waist at the top. Addition of a 2" soft talalay latex topper doesn't help as the arc is still there.

Would like suggestions of a soft, plush, hybrid mattress with no VOCs so all natural or organic. Anything with a firmer midsection will not work for me. Need either no zoning or reverse zoning. No odor is very important. I am willing to add topper layers to create the comfort layer myself but I don't think having a very firm base of coils is going to work for me as a side sleeper so need to start with a softer coil system that works on an adjustable base.

Thanks!

Soft, plush hybrid mattress, reverse zoning or no zoning? 13 Nov 2019 14:32 #2

Thank you for reaching out. The smell issue you referred to with your older mattress is not something I have experienced and I've been selling Talalay latex for 22 years. Seems very bizarre for that to have happened with yours which makes me think it was something other than Talalay or it's just a manufacturing mistake of some sort. That being said, all of our Hybrid coils are going to be firm so the only way to end up with a softer feel would be to have multiple layers of latex over the coil. Our Bolsa spring does have the Quantum Edge but does NOT have the zoning which sounds to me like the best choice for you. I would recommend doing a 2" Medium Talalay with a 3" Soft Talalay on top. Alternately you could do 3" of each. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Soft, plush hybrid mattress, reverse zoning or no zoning? 13 Nov 2019 14:47 #3

Thanks! I looked at your web site and didn't see Bolsa in a twinXL. Is the ecosleep the one you are referring to? Also need to be sure it is compatible with an adjustable base.

I did go back to the Boulder Foam Source store and the whole place reeks of latex smell so maybe it is just their source.

Soft, plush hybrid mattress, reverse zoning or no zoning? 13 Nov 2019 15:02 #4

Unfortunately the Bolsa is only available in King and Queen size. The Eco Sleep would be the model and works fine on an adjustable base, after all we roll and compress it to ship. You would need the additional layer however to achieve the comfort you are looking for. We have latex from all around the globe in our warehouse and no one has ever said anything about the smell especially Talalay latex. There are only 2 sources of Talalay so their source is our source. Perhaps it's something else?

Soft, plush hybrid mattress, reverse zoning or no zoning? 13 Nov 2019 15:08 #5

What sort of coil system does the eco sleep have? Is it zoned with firmer in the middle or is it uniformly one firmness? Is the whole thing firm or medium (I'm assuming not soft since you probably would have highlighted that).

I'm not in the business so can't comment on the Talalay source. I do know that I stopped back in there to look at their latex mattresses again and the smell was so over powering it drove me from the store. Ours has stunk on and off over 15 years which makes me leery of latex.

I did just order a plush topper from My Green Mattress to try with their Natural Escape and the Joybed. I detected no odor from their Natural Escape so I have some hope.

Last edit: by Marshmallowforme.

Soft, plush hybrid mattress, reverse zoning or no zoning? 13 Nov 2019 15:35 #6

The spring details are in the description - www.mattresses.net/eco-sleep-promotional-latex-mattress-w-bamboo-cover.html It's firm with even firmer edges but no zoning.

Soft, plush hybrid mattress, reverse zoning or no zoning? 14 Nov 2019 13:04 #7

Thanks Ken,
I definitely need something softer. I am currently looking at the Eco Terra. Reviews on here say it is soft. Do you (or anyone else) know of others I should look at that are soft, made of natural materials and reviews that say no odor?

Soft, plush hybrid mattress, reverse zoning or no zoning? 14 Nov 2019 14:22 #8

The Eco Terra website is very confusing. On one page they say it's made with all natural talalay and on another it says- We offer the Eco Terra at two firmness levels: Medium and Medium-Firm. Our Medium latex mattress has an indentation load deflection (ILD) of 24-26, and our Medium-Firm latex mattress has an ILD of 29-31. Both firmnesses are made with one seamless 3” Arpico 100% Natural latex layer. - Aripico is Sri Lankan Dunlop not Talalay.

I don't see soft as an option and since they use an 8" coil I believe it is zoned. The do not have a zippered cover so if it's too firm you can't change anything.

Soft, plush hybrid mattress, reverse zoning or no zoning? 14 Nov 2019 15:42 #9

Yes. I don't get a solid feeling from Eco Terra talking to them on the phone either. Couldn't really answer questions about how the mattress was made. The only encouraging thing was that alot of the reviews said the mattress was too soft which is what I'm looking for. But I was really put off by the return policy. You have to box it back up and they said you could get a box at Home Depot. I checked and you can't.

After my mystery contents Joybed mattress (no materials info on tags, too short, not made to height specs.) I prefer only to deal with well established transparent companies.

Soft, plush hybrid mattress, reverse zoning or no zoning? 15 Nov 2019 10:08 #10

Sounds like a good decision to me.

Moderators: Arizona Premium