Accurate information regarding latex mattresses, hybrid mattresses, adjustable bases, latex pillows, etc. Industry professional of over 40 years expertise in the mattress field currently using suppliers Talalay Global, Latexco, Radium Foam, Latex Green and Leggett & Platt.
Replies Timing Note: We will gladly answer your questions Monday through Friday,
....any posts accumulated during weekends will be answered Mondays.
Go to Arizona Premium EXPERT Profile & Articles
Go to Arrizona Premium BUSINESS Profile

Recommendation for softer topper to top another Latex mattress 12 Mar 2020 06:58 #1

I bought the Talalay Wewatta (Sleep Nation)
mysleepnation.com/products/7346/Wewatta-St-Firm-
mattress last year in Colorado. It's made of a 6" Talalay firm (they wouldn't show their proprietary foam layer, nor would they provide a density rating for it) . There is another 6" of Talalay Latex underneath it. It's wrapped in a slippery eucalyptus fabric.

I slept on it for 6 months and decided it was too firm. I am 140 lbs (6ft tall) and my husband is 170lbs (6 ft tall). I am a side sleeper with chronic back pain. My husband sleeps on his back and can snore if the mattress is too soft. The Wewatta foam mattress causes pressure points on my shoulder/hip and really stiffens my upper back.

I cannot return it because I live out of country (and there's financial penalties for the "comfort exchange", so I'm needing a topper. I'm fearful of picking the wrong topper due to this most recent costly mistake. I would prefer Talalay for it's temperature controlling properties.

Which topper thickness and density would you recommend to make me want to sleep on my latex bed?

Recommendation for softer topper to top another Latex mattress 12 Mar 2020 15:52 #2

Thank you for reaching out, if you can find it I would recommend 3" of #19 Talalay either from Talalay Global or Vita Talalay in the Netherlands. That is what I sleep on and I am a pure side sleeper and this gives me no pressure points @ 175 lbs.

Recommendation for softer topper to top another Latex mattress 14 Mar 2020 08:37 #3

Thanks for the reply. Is there a reason why you suggest those two companies over others that sell Talalay toppers? Are there different qualities of toppers?

Recommendation for softer topper to top another Latex mattress 24 Mar 2020 23:09 #4

I think my question is similar. I’m a 137 lb 5’ 3” side and stomach sleeperfor what that’s worth.
I’ve tried:
6“ 85 kg/m3 core with 3/4 inch soft latex quilted into the cover- too hard, hips and anterior superior iliac spines feel bruised

6” 75 kg/m3 with 3/4 inch softer (I think 65) quilted into cover - still getting pressure points with side sleeping, and now waking with low back discomfort and stiffness.

Tried 1 inch 65 kg/m3 and also 3 inch of 65 on top of 6 inch 75 - still a bit bruised feeling and is course even more low back discomfort by morning.

Tried 6” 95 with 3” 65 on top - worse pressure points, as one might expect

Tried 6” 85 with either 2 or 3” of 65 kg/m3 on top - this is the best overall but still have some degree of hip pressure point discomfort, and slight lower and now upper back stiffness in the mornings, although feels pretty good as I fall asleep a and I like that I can sleep on my stomach as well as my side without feeling low back strain.

Do I need to try a couple inches of 75 between the 65 and the 85?
I know it’s quite personal, but this has been tough to figure out!
Open to springs for the support later too, but it still seems like it’s more about the right compression/support than which material.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Recommendation for softer topper to top another Latex mattress 25 Mar 2020 08:01 #5

The numbers you provided are densities. One can guess firmness from those numbers, but it would be better if you replaced densities by firmness (in ILD).

Recommendation for softer topper to top another Latex mattress 25 Mar 2020 10:19 #6

Based on all that you have tried I would suggest a 2" 75K transition layer. You've tried pretty much everything else.

Recommendation for softer topper to top another Latex mattress 25 Mar 2020 12:04 #7

thanks! I thought 2 in of 75 made sense. This company’s ILDs don’t match anyone else’s for their densities at all, and they couldn’t tell me how they measure them, so didn’t seem too help to share.

What do you think of the suggestion that switch back to springs for the support layer is what I need to do?

Recommendation for softer topper to top another Latex mattress 25 Mar 2020 13:04 #8

Is this dunlop or Talalay latex that you have? I'm guessing dunlop

Recommendation for softer topper to top another Latex mattress 25 Mar 2020 14:31 #9

@MattressHuntress, I would definitely recommend switching to pocketed coils. I think that, when using only foam and latex in a mattress, it is much harder to nail proper alignment than when using pocketed coils. I don't know what choices you have around where you live, but since you are in Arizona Premium forum, they have a nice hybrid mattress on their website: www.mattresses.net/ulhypoco.html . I also sent you some additional options via MU private message, so check you inbox.

Recommendation for softer topper to top another Latex mattress 25 Mar 2020 14:35 #10

Yes, Dunlop.