Accurate information regarding latex mattresses, hybrid mattresses, adjustable bases, latex pillows, etc. Industry professional of over 40 years expertise in the mattress field currently using suppliers Talalay Global, Latexco, Radium Foam, Latex Green and Leggett & Platt.
Replies Timing Note: We will gladly answer your questions Monday through Friday,
....any posts accumulated during weekends will be answered Mondays.
Go to Arizona Premium EXPERT Profile & Articles
Go to Arrizona Premium BUSINESS Profile

DIY Latex Mattress Assistance 19 Jun 2021 14:05 #1

Hi Ken,

Sensei recommended I come to your forum directly with some Latex Mattress DIY questions. I am currently sleeping on a Haugesund Firm Full Sized Mattress that is roughly 5 years old. It was given to me second hand from an old friend after they used it for a year. I am wanting to upgrade to a king now. For reference, I am a 26 year old male, 5’9” 175 pound stomach sleeper who wants to try to transition into a back sleeper to help with some low back pain and neck pain. I do not share the bed so it is just me. I have been doing a lot of research on my own as I am in the market for a new mattress and I am interested in the DIY route. I am unsure what type of build I should do though but I have been doing a significant amount of my search on your website.

I tried a mattress in store which was a Jamison Bedding Del Rey Cushion Firm 14” Height. The sales associate did not have a lot of specific information on the layers but provided me with the details below. When I tried this mattress it was supportive and I really liked the feel relative to my current mattress but I found it to be just a tad soft. I also do not think that I would need a mattress height of 14”. Do you have any recommendations on an all latex build that would get me close to the Jamison Bed I tried but that would be just a touch firmer? I was initially thinking a 3 3” build (Dunlop Firm/Talalay Firm/Talalay Medium) but I was on your website today and put together the build in the attached screenshot which is a firmer build. If I were to use the 6” Dunlop, would I need to glue or do anything to the seam of the 2 Twin XLs?

Also, regarding the mattress covers, can you provide some details on the difference between the organic cotton and the wool covers? I am still in the process of deciding between those two as well. I was also looking at the mattress protector since I have a dog and want to protect the mattress from him. Will it affect the feel of the mattress at all?

“Jamison Bedding Del Rey Cushion Firm 14” Height” Details

Comfort Layers
Super Stretch Knot Quilted to 9/16” HD Ultra Soft Gel Foam and 1.5” HD Convoluted Comfort Foam

Support Layers
3” luxury firm latex
1.25” HD Extra Firm Foam

Support Unit
759 Quantum Individual Coils (Pocket)

Thank you!
Attachments:

DIY Latex Mattress Assistance 21 Jun 2021 12:40 #2

Thank you for your interest in our products. Based on the information you provided I would go with 2 TwinXL DIY Dunlop base cores in Firm and then 3" of Natural Talalay in Medium and finished with the Organic cotton cover @ 9". The bamboo cover is more plush and since you want it firmer I would use the OC cover. The cover will squeeze the latex cores together and they will not separate so there is no need to glue anything.

Mattress protectors can firm up the feel a bit and I don't normally recommend using one but if you have possible issues with your pet then it may be necessary.

DIY Latex Mattress Assistance 21 Jun 2021 13:45 #3

Thank you for the information! Is there a difference between the natural talalay and the blended talalay in terms of feel/firmness?

I will certainly go for the organic cotton cover if that is the case. I don’t think I would have any issues with my pet in terms of spills or accidents. I was mainly thinking longevity of the mattress and not wanting him to affect it at all without the mattress protector. I appreciate that information as well.

DIY Latex Mattress Assistance 21 Jun 2021 16:51 #4

I can't really tell much of a difference between the 2. I sleep on blended myself. A simple cotton mattress pad (not waterproof) will protect the cover and still catch any small spill or stain and you can wash it over and over.

DIY Latex Mattress Assistance 22 Jun 2021 09:44 #5

Thank you. Do you have any recommendations on the simple cotton mattress pad or will any cotton one suffice?

Also what would the difference be in terms of feel between the simple cotton pad and the Ionic Waterproof protector on your website?

DIY Latex Mattress Assistance 22 Jun 2021 12:14 #6

I don't, Amazon has plenty to choose from. Nothing too thick. The Ionic still will stop some of the airflow even with the copper infusion.

Moderators: Arizona Premium