Areas of Expertise: HOLISTIC ORGANIC SLEEP / NATURAL FIBERS & MATERIALS / GREEN DESIGN/B]

Go to CozyPure EXPERT Profile & Articles
Go to CozyPure BUSINESS Profile

DIY LaNoodle Cuddle Top 05 Mar 2016 07:55 #1

I finally have the support/softness quotient dialed in quite nicely on my bed. I have an Ikea Morgongava that was a bit too firm, but a 3 inch 14 ILD Talalay topper has given me the right amount of softness that I was missing as a side sleeper.

I am looking to change the surface feel, as the smooth flat surface of the latex is not quite doing it for me. Before adding the latex topper I was using 2 2inch down alternative fiber beds, but when testing they impacted the ability of the latex to let me sink in at the hips and shoulders.

I am pretty much settled on buying the CozyPure Cuddletop to give a fluffier feel to the mattress, without impacting the support too much. It is very expensive however. I had though of buying LaNoodles by the pound, putting them in a zippered featherbed cover, and then tufting it.

I have no idea how many pounds of LaNoodles I would need though. Does anyone have any idea how many pounds of LaNoodles would be in a full sized cuddle top?

It may wind up being just as expensive to do it that way, but I like the idea of being able to adjust it later if I need to.

I appreciate any advice that anyone might have for me.

DIY LaNoodle Cuddle Top 05 Mar 2016 10:04 #2

Hi frazzledglispa,

If memory serves me right I think mine was about 15 lbs (queen) but I don't remember this for sure and I don't know how much of the weight was actually the lanoodles pieces.

If you call them they would probably be able to tell you how many pounds of lanoodles they use for each size.

Last edit: by Phoenix.

DIY LaNoodle Cuddle Top 05 Mar 2016 12:57 #3

I emailed them and they weighed one for me. The full size weighs 13.8 pounds. The featherbed cover that I have currently weighs a little over a pound, I would assume their cover would be somewhere in that range.

15 pounds of LaNoodles would cost $195.00. That would be a huge savings, the trouble is, I'm not sure how good I would be at getting them distributed evenly and keeping them distributed while trying to tuft it.

I did find a tutorial on how to tuft a comforter, but of course that is using batting, not loose bits of latex, however I imagine they could be redistributed a bit after the tufting if needed. I'm not really any kind of sewing wiz, but tufting looks simple enough.

I could save over $300 dollars doing it this way, so I seriously need to consider it - though I also feel guilty about it. Cozy Pure seems like a really great company, and even though I would be buying the noodles from them, I feel a little bit like I would be ripping them off.

DIY LaNoodle Cuddle Top 05 Mar 2016 13:27 #4

Hi frazzledglispa,

According to my calculations 15 lbs of Lanoodles at $15/lb would be $225.
The Lanoodles topper is also covered with an organic cotton sateen fabric which at $20/yard is also a more costly fabric and if you needed say 8 yards of material then this would cost an additional $160 for a total of $385. Of course you could also use a different fabric.

Having said that ... this would still be less costly than their normal retail price so if you have "enough" expertise with sewing and tufting to do the construction I can certainly see that it may be worth it to you. I certainly wouldn't have any "guilt" or feel like you are "ripping them off" if you decide to go in this direction since they are making the components easily available to anyone. You could also even out how the lanoodles are spread out throughout the topper manually although it may take some time if they end up bunched in certain areas.

Just as a side note the DIY materials to make one would be more costly than their cuddle up club members would be paying with their current $200 plus 20% discount.

Last edit: by Phoenix.

DIY LaNoodle Cuddle Top 05 Mar 2016 13:42 #5

I typo'd, I meant to say 13 pounds. I have a zippered featherbed cover that I could use for the cover, as my sewing skills aren't really good enough to make a cover with a zipper (sewing on buttons is about all I am good for. LOL.)

The cost for me would really be the noodles, and some tough thread for tufting, so I am seriously considering doing it this way.

DIY LaNoodle Cuddle Top 05 Mar 2016 13:53 #6

Hi frazzledglispa,

I'm looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding to do and if you do decide to go ahead with the lanoodles topper "DIY version" I'm also looking forward to your comments and feedback once it's finished.

DIY LaNoodle Cuddle Top 06 Mar 2016 12:54 #7

I am 90% certain that I am going to buy it at this point. After doing quite a bit of research, and a conversation with my sister who quilts, I am confident that I could make it. Her recommendation to make it manageable was to start at the end and do two rows of tufting, and then roll it.

The reason I have decided to buy it, then? Satisfaction Guarantee. I think that the Cuddletop will be the right finish touch for my bed, but I haven't been able to try it in person. Raw materials are non-returnable from CozyPure, so if I make it myself and I don't like it I am out the money. If I buy the topper and I don't like it, I can return it.

That is where my head is at right now, anyway.

DIY LaNoodle Cuddle Top 06 Mar 2016 22:00 #8

frazzledglispa wrote: to make it manageable was to start at the end and do two rows of tufting, and then roll it.

Rolling it is a really great idea and might be just the trick.

When making wool mattresses, I learned a trick that you can duplicate using a loft bed or bunk bed. In the wool mattress industry, they have regular height tables with metal slats in them for the tufters to crawl underneath to stick the needle back through the top. That way the wool stays still and they don't have to lift the heavy mattress to return the needle to the top of the fabric. Your topper won't be heavy on the edges as you tuft, but when you get to the middle, you will notice its weight.

A junior height loft bed would be the closest readily available home slat table I can think of at the best height, though I'm sure you can make makeshift ones out of boards and something to hold them up

Can I say this since Phoenix mentioned $20 a yard for organic sateen? We have 113" wide GOTS organic sateen for $12 a yard and tufting needles too.

DIY LaNoodle Cuddle Top 08 Mar 2016 18:19 #9

After a great deal of hemming and hawing, obsessively watching not exactly high res videos on YouTube to try to determine tufting patterns, developing a tufting chart, revising the tufting chart, watching the videos again, and revising the chart again, I went ahead and ordered the Cuddle Top this morning.

So the decision is made, and all that's left is obsessively checking the order status. :)

DIY LaNoodle Cuddle Top 08 Mar 2016 21:25 #10

Hi frazzledglispa,

Congratulations on your new topper :)

I'm looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Moderators: CozyPure