Areas of Expertise: HOLISTIC ORGANIC SLEEP / NATURAL FIBERS & MATERIALS / GREEN DESIGN/B]

Go to CozyPure EXPERT Profile & Articles
Go to CozyPure BUSINESS Profile

How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST*** 26 Oct 2018 12:53 #1

Hi,

it seems we're supposed to reply to this thread rather than start a new thread?

First of all, thanks for all the info in the original post!!

I'm extremely light, low BMI, and every mattress I've ever tried was too hard. I'm looking for the lowest density possible. I'm also extremely hot at night; so I was thinking linen and bamboo are the coolest, or maybe wool (since there seem to be no linen filled mattress toppers). I think Talalay would be too hot for me, so where can one find a super low density wool/bamboo/linen mattress pad? And is that really what I should look for?

How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST*** 27 Oct 2018 00:38 #2

I'm wary of cooling gels or other 'high tech' materials. When I've bought such materials for clothes, they didn't breath at all. I suspect natural materials are still best.

So maybe a thin, 100% bamboo cover, over a 5cm wool topper?

Or would latex be softer than wool? So maybe 1cm wool, and 4cm talalay?

You would think there would be some kind of wool/silk/linen/bamboo mixes, keeping things all natural while taking advantage of the cooling properties of each? With loose-knits?

Is there a difference between wool-fiber fillings, and a wool pad such as this?

oviland.ru/namatratcnik?_openstat=bWFya2V0LnlhbmRleC5ydTvQndCw0LzQsNGC0YDQsNGB0L3QuNC6INC40Lcg0L3QsNGC0YPRgNCw0LvRjNC90L7QuSDRiNC10YDRgdGC0Lg7Mmd4MS1uaE1MMjlTZU1wVzd3LWZDZzs&frommarket=https%3A%2F%2Fmarket.yandex.ru%2Fcatalog--namatrasniki-i-chekhly-dlia-matrasov%2F60756%2Flist%3Ftext%3D%D1%88%D0%25&ymclid=405802447041867818500007

Is one generally cooler or softer than the other?

Last edit: by Albert.

How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! 29 Oct 2018 10:22 #3

Hi Albert,

Sorry for the delay, your question was moved to our section yesterday, and I'll try my best to help out.

If you're looking for something to soften your mattress, I would suggest latex over wool because wool will compress over time and not have the same buoyancy and bounce-back that latex will provide long-term.

Instead, wool will settle and form a "nest" around your body which many sleepers enjoy, but again in our opinion, it doesn't help make the bed "soft and cushy" and it sounds like that is what you are looking for. This settling is part of the batting that compresses in a fiber wool topper.

The wool pad in your link looks like it's a fleece wool pad, these don't provide a "deep" cushioning, but rather a minimal surface softness, with the benefits of wool temperature control. Depending on the wool type, and process at the mill, sometimes the wool fleece can "clump" so you would want to follow manufacturer maintenance instructions.

Also, as a side note, natural latex does not sleep hot, so you should be OK, just be sure to cover the latex to avoid oxidation and that is where you would make sure the fabric covering the latex is made from natural fibers such as organic cotton or linen, because you are correct that covering with synthetic polyester will trap heat and you may sleep hot.

Best of luck to you!
CozyPure® - Organic Comfort Zone (est 1991)
2308 Granby Street
Norfolk, VA 23517
757-480-8500
www.cozypure.com
www.sleep.organic
organic comfort made fresh daily

How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! 30 Oct 2018 05:47 #4

Thanks for the reply!!

So I think ideal would be

Bamboo-cover
Wool-fleece (or a wool fiber pad, or maybe simply a loose-knit wool blanket, or maybe I don't even need this layer?)
Talalay latex, lowest density possible (I think 14 ILD is the lowest you can get?) With as many 'holes' as possible

Last edit: by Albert.

How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! 30 Oct 2018 05:55 #5

You might want to consider the "Ultimate Comfort Bamboo Mattress Pad" sold by Cuddledown. Amazon may have something similar (and possibly less expensive). I'm using this over a new 10" Sleep EZ talalay latex mattress, which has a cotton+wool zip-on covering.

How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! 30 Oct 2018 06:23 #6

Thanks. It looks like that's a mix of bamboo and synthetic. Won't the synthetic make it less breathable?

I'm finding it impossible to find 14 ild talalay, sleeplikeabear has one that's 14-19, so I guess that's the softest possible.

cozypure has the Omni Sculpted, but I don't see density info for it.

I think kg/m3 is actually better than ILD, because less density will be softer *and* more breathable. Is 60 kg/m3 the least dense possible for talalay? And if so, where can I find talalay of this density?

Last edit: by Albert.

How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! 01 Nov 2018 00:26 #7

So I read that ILD is actually only used for 'blended' mattresses, and 100% natural will only use 'density'. I saw one mattress that said it was 55 kg/m3, though it turned out to be blended latex.... is it possible to find natural Talalay near 55 kg/m3 (or as low as possible, and ideally as cheap as possible). I'm looking everywhere, and finding low-density Dunlop, low density blends, but no low-density Talalay. I've been sleeping on a hard mattress on top of a blanket to try and soften it, but it's giving me a sore neck, so I want to solve this as fast as possible, but I really want something that's gonna help me sleep... not a compromise (otherwise I'll just get this local 20% latex with cooling beads).

I found this bamboo sheet set (I'm hoping it's really bamboo), it's expensive enough, so hopefully I can just put this over the latex and not need a fiber layer for extra-softness?

spim.ru/shop/postel/bamboo/Coffee_Fresh_36943_item/1_5_bed/

I emailed cozypure, and they said they can't give a specific 'density' because of the shape of their mattress. I like the shape (I think it'll make it softer) and it's a lower price than FoamSource or SpeelLikeaBear.... but both of them give me density info so I can choose lowest density. Shipping to Russia will cost me about $150, so returns aren't possible here.

Oh, re-reading the email, they said the OmniTopper is D65, which I guess means 65kg/m3. Combined with the shape I'm thinking this is as soft and breathable as it gets? So I'll just throw a bamboo-sheet over it for protection/coolness? I think 2" is enough (even with the shape) because I'm so light? If not, I could just layer some wool-quilted blankets over it?

www.cozypure.com/mattress-pads-and-toppers/omni-sculpted-latex-topper
foamsource.com/shop/Latex-Mattress-Topper/Natural-Talalay
sleeplikeabear.com/collections/talalay-latex-mattress-toppers/products/2-inch-100-percent-pure-all-natural-talalay-latex-rubber-only-mattress-toppers?variant=12332462506084

Last edit: by Albert.