Layer firmness for Smaller people 24 Jun 2020 14:05 #1

Recently purchased a 9" Natural Latex Mattress from Flexus so 3" Firm, 3" Medium, 2" Talalay Soft and 1" cover, which is nice, but feels too firm for me. I don't want "ultra plush", but definitely don't want it this firm. I haven't slept on it for the complete 30 days yet, but I don't see it getting too much softer after sleeping on it for a few weeks. I'm a 135 lbs 5'9" male, usually back/side sleeper, and was wondering what others might have switched layers to.

Comparing ILDs of other mattresses, it seems like Soft(T), Soft (Dunlop), Medium(D), wouldn't be too bad, or at least I could then reearange to Soft Medium(D) Soft (D) for a little more firmness.

Does this seem to lack support? Are there any other small men out there who have the same problem? Thanks!

Layer firmness for Smaller people 15 Jul 2020 07:34 #2

Not sure if you were able to find a solution but I was running into the same problem as you, while what we ended up doing might not help you directly since you already have your mattress hopefully this will help others with a similar issue. I'm in the same boat being a lighter person (5'11" 145lbs) and not wanting something too firm. After a lot of research and talking to different companies on the phone what was suggested to me as a lighter person and wanting a softer feel we should go with a 10" mattress but instead of getting 3/3/3 with the 1" cover. we should go with the 7" mattress and do a 3" topper. Pricing was similar between the 10" and 7"+3" topper and still offered the same flexibility in swapping/adjusting layers, seemed like the best configuration for what we were looking for.

The 1" cover tends to make the mattress feel firmer than just laying directly on the latex layer. I went with the same Flexus configuration firm/medium/soft. The 7" mattress layered with 3"firm/3"medium with the 1" cover, then on top of that we put the 3" soft Talalay topper. The cover on the topper is thinner than the one on the mattress bringing you closer to the latex and giving it a plusher feel than just laying on the mattress cover itself. I'm still waiting for my mattress to arrive but I'm hoping that this configuration gives the softer feel we were looking for.

Layer firmness for Smaller people 16 Jul 2020 15:03 #3

Hello DBS,

If you feel the current configuration to be too firm for you I would recommend swapping out the firm Dunlop for a medium Dunlop and see how that feels. Another option would be to keep your original configuration you have and add a 2" soft Talalay topper. This will give you softer feel for the top layer.

Layer firmness for Smaller people 21 Jul 2020 18:53 #4

Thanks for the replies! Duck4Life, I'm wondering how you're configuration worked out. The softer cover might just be the trick. I might see if there is a thinner one available.

Layer firmness for Smaller people 28 Jul 2020 13:46 #5

Still trying it out, only had a few days on it. On my back I love the mattress but on my side I'm feeling some pressure on my shoulders and soreness in the morning. Not sure if it will just take some getting used to a new mattress and my body needing time to adjust. I'm willing to give it more time and see how it continues to feel sleeping on my side. I did swap sides with my wife one night and anecdotal evidence says that her configuration of Med/Med/soft is not as stiff as my firm/med/soft. For me still being less than a week into having it I think this configuration will work out, I might end up swapping my firm layer to make it slightly softer but waiting to see how my body adjusts first.

Layer firmness for Smaller people 29 Jul 2020 10:30 #6

Hello All, I read the rules and I would like to make sure I'm not violating them. I'm looking for a 100% Natural Talalay topper for an Twin XL. I've tried to do my due diligence in research to make sure I get an authentic one, based on my reading. After reading this thread, I went onto the FLEXUSCOMFORT.com site and this is what happened? Now I think that they are not legitimately selling 100% Natural Talalay toppers.... Thoughts anyone? Maybe the price is what should have given me pause, because all the TWIN XL toppers that are 100% Natural Talalay are in the $307 to $309 range.

Here is the on-line transcript from just moments ago with the owner/manager of www.flexuscomfort.com Their toppers are advertised as 100% Natural Talalay.
HENRY
Owner and Mattress Maker

HENRY 13:08
Hello, I’m here to help!
Visitor 13:08
Hi. I"m looking for a 100% Natural Talalay topper, 3". Does the 100 Natural Talalay you sell have any fillers or synthetics?
HENRY 13:09
No filler and no synthetic
Visitor 13:10
Ok great. Who is the manufacture of the Latex, if you can tell me. I've been trying to do my due diligence and I've found there are only two manufactures of 100% Natural Talalay Latex
I've been reading TMU
I found you thru them
I'm also looking for your warranty and return policy on the toppers
Hi Henry, are you still there?
Visitor 13:16
hello, did I lose you?
Visitor 13:28
Hello Henry?
Read

Layer firmness for Smaller people 31 Jul 2020 10:01 #7

Not sure that just because they didn't respond on the chat means they are lying about what they are selling.
Best thing to do is call them you will get a quicker response that way. I'm sure a quick phone call would help clear all of this up for you.

Layer firmness for Smaller people 31 Jul 2020 10:52 #8

Well, thank you, that's what I sure was "thinking" but didn't want to say it. Some of the posts here said exactly that, if they won't answer your questions or can't it is a bad sign. Wanted to give them a chance to explain so I didn't have a TMU trusted partner smeared without giving them a chance. If they can't answer then that would put up red flags and I wonder why they'd be a TMU trusted partner. BUT, I want to give them a fair chance, since it could have been a technical difficultly on their end, or an emergency or something going on.

Layer firmness for Smaller people 31 Jul 2020 11:13 #9

replied to your other post on the same thing but will post it here as well.

Check their reply from a previous post.

Post #2
www.themattressunderground.com/mattress-forum/flexus-f/22887-100-natural-talalay-global-talalay-radium-or-both

FLEXUS COMFORT wrote: Hello,

We usually source our natural Talalay from both companies. But, under the current Covid-19 situation we are only sourcing from Radium at the moment. We currently have available 22 ILD, 28 ILD, and 36 ILD in the Radium Talalay.

Layer firmness for Smaller people 03 Sep 2020 05:58 #10

Any update on how you feel? I got a soft layer, so now it's medium soft soft, but even that feels quite firm, compared to most generic mattresses I try out at factories.