mattressunderground logo
× Welcome to the Expert advice section of the forum. Any mattress questions are welcome.... but make sure you've read the Mattress Shopping tutorial linked in the top right of the page :)

latex layers hammocking

08 Jan 2020 11:23 #1 by Leegin
I've been unable to find the arrangement of my latex layers that enables me to sleep through the night and without lower back pain the next morning. My full-size bed frame is 3 inch steel slats with about 3 inches between slats. I have 4 layers of Dunlap latex: a 3 inch firm, a 3 inch medium-firm, a 2 inch medium (from Plush Beds) and a 2 inch Talalay soft layer (from Latex Mattress Factory). I am 5'8" and about 130 pounds and a side sleeper. I have tried many different arrangements of the layers. The 3 inch Firm on top allowed little or no sleep and the other arrangements all seem to hammock which causes my back to tense up, not relax, and thus toss and turn sleep. My partner is tired of rearranging the layers, which is very labor intensive when you're an older person. If I try to sleep on my back on the very edge against the wall there seems to be less hammocking. Also, there is a center steel piece in the bed frame, so I don't think it's the frame. Are latex layers not uniform as far as density? Anyway, please help so I can sleep!
Thanks much!

08 Jan 2020 16:24 #2 by Latex Mattress Factory.
Hello and thanks for reaching out! Dunlop is a little inconsistent by nature, and one part of a Dunlop layer may be a bit softer or a bit firmer than another part of that same layer, but you really shouldn't be able to notice that difference. The general consensus in the latex industry is that most people won't notice a difference in firmness unless there's a 3 point ILD difference or more, and most Dunlop layers don't have that level of inconsistency. If you're noticing a difference in feel between the edge and center of your side of the mattress, it's more likely that it's because of the way the layers are assembled in the cover. Fixing this really is just a matter of making sure the mattress is assembled correctly. You would want to make sure that bottom layer is lined up with respect to the mattress cover as closely and squarely as possible before you stack the next layer. Once the bottom layer looks like it’s in the right place with respect to the foundation and the mattress cover, you would lay the next layer on top of it, again making sure the layer looks like it’s the “right size” and in the right place. Once the second layer is squarely and properly aligned with the bottom layer, you would install the top layer, taking the same precautions to ensure everything is lined up right before you zip up the cover. Our sister company Sleep EZ has video instructions illustrating the process, and that video can be viewed here - www.sleepez.com/pages/latex-mattress-assembly .

Regarding the comfort issue, I'd be happy to address that for you but would need a little more information first. How long did you sleep on any one configuration before changing it again? What layer configuration would you say has been the best for you so far? It's really important to make sure it doesn't have any gaps more than 3" big, can you confirm that the foundation meets that criteria?

Latex Mattress Factory
Please read The Mattress Shopping Tutorial.
Click here for TMU Discount Codes if purchasing from Trusted Members.

09 Jan 2020 11:11 #3 by Leegin
Replied by Leegin on topic latex layers hammocking
Thanks so much for your helpful reply! We have had problems getting 3 of the 4 layers into the cover. We will try to place the bottom half of the cover over the foundation (although the foundation seems a little bigger and has sharp corners) and this should make the placement easier. It seems like the layers change size and don't fit at the corners and sides exactly. Do you kind of shake the layers and stretch or shrink them to make them align exactly to one another? The 4th layer goes on top of the cover and is either a 2 inch layer or a 3 inch layer. A quality mattress pad holds it in place.

I checked the steel foundation again and measured the spaces between slats and they are either a little less or a little greater than 3 inches. However, at the top of the mattress there is about a 4 inch space and I think the same at the bottom. Do you think we should rearrange the slats or somehow add a wooden slat? I took photos of the foundation from underneath, but see no place to attach them in this reply. Please advise if this would be helpful and also how to attach photos. There is a leg holding up the center slat.

My best layer arrangement has been: 2 inch medium Dunlop on top, then 3 inch firm Dunlop, then 2 inch soft Talalay, and on the bottom the 3 inch medium firm Dunlop. I don't like how I sink in to the layers except when I move to the very edge (a couple inches or so) of the mattress against the wall. Then I feel that I have some support. I've tried the different combos for many nights except for the firm on top which only lasted 2-3 nights because of little sleep. Even the medium firm on top had the hammock effect. What do you think? Am I just not suited to latex? Thanks much!

09 Jan 2020 17:00 #4 by Latex Mattress Factory.
To answer your first question, you're correct - you will only be able to move it while you are sending ripples through the layer (as if you are laying down a bed sheet). If you stretch or compress the layer when putting into position, it may become too large or too small and the rest of the layers will not fit correctly, and neither will the cover. If a layer seems too big or too small, you can shake it a bit and it will return to its original shape.

By having the top layer outside of the cover, this will make for a much plusher feel which may be causing some of the "hammocking" you've referenced. Having a top layer that is not encased with the rest of the mattress will allow that top layer enough spatial freedom to move upwards when you lay on it, making for a very plush and enveloping feel. So getting all the layers inside of a single cover can help reduce the plushness / sinking feeling.

Normally when our customers have a foundation with gaps more than 3" apart, we recommend that they go to Home Depot or Lowes and purchase a 3/4" piece of plywood to place between the mattress and foundation.

Since your best setup so far was "2 inch medium Dunlop on top, then 3 inch firm Dunlop, then 2 inch soft Talalay, and on the bottom the 3 inch medium firm Dunlop" but you just didn't like the extra hammocking / sinking, I think the best option would be to go back to that layer arrangement but have all of the layers inside of a single cover. If the company you bought the cover from won't alter it to a thicker cover for you, the only option would be to purchase a new cover that will encase all of those layers. Outside of that you would have to find a configuration that's comfortable for you that uses only 3 layers inside of the cover you have now (so no layers outside of the cover).

Latex Mattress Factory
Please read The Mattress Shopping Tutorial.
Click here for TMU Discount Codes if purchasing from Trusted Members.

10 Jan 2020 09:03 #5 by Leegin
Replied by Leegin on topic latex layers hammocking
OK, thanks much for your advice. So far I can't find a cover for a 10 inch mattress. Do you think I could put the soft Talalay 2 inch layer underneath the other 3 encased Dunlop layers directly on the frame? Or, just do without the soft layer. I like the height better with that layer, but I do want to sleep.

I am sensitive to chemicals so don't want to add the plywood board. I think the hammocking is due more to the softer layers because, if I remember correctly, when the firm 3 inch was on top I didn't experience the hammocking, but just had sore hips, etc., because it was too hard.

I'll look forward to your reply before I enlist help for the arduous rearrangement of layers.
Thanks!

13 Jan 2020 12:56 #6 by Latex Mattress Factory.
Since your best setup so far was "2 inch medium Dunlop on top, then 3 inch firm Dunlop, then 2 inch soft Talalay, and on the bottom the 3 inch medium firm Dunlop" I would go back to that setup but put the bottom 3" medium Dunlop layer outside the cover (under the mattress basically). So the 2" Medium Dunlop, 3" firm Dunlop, and 2" soft Talalay would all be inside the cover and the 3" medium Dunlop would be at the very bottom but no inside the cover. Please let me know how that setup works for you and we can go from there.

Latex Mattress Factory
Please read The Mattress Shopping Tutorial.
Click here for TMU Discount Codes if purchasing from Trusted Members.

13 Jan 2020 14:23 #7 by Leegin
Replied by Leegin on topic latex layers hammocking
Thanks for your response. This seems like a good idea but I'm wondering about the extra inch inside of the cover. Seven inches of latex would be encased in the 8 inch cover. Would they be compressed enough to reduce the plush, sinking feeling? Thanks!

13 Jan 2020 14:30 #8 by Sensei
Replied by Sensei on topic latex layers hammocking
Hey Leegin,

Thanks for your questions to the TMU Underground :). See you're working with expert trusted member Latex Mattress Factory to resolve some comfort layer arranging, hope all is going well. Thanks too to @LatexMattressFactory for your excellent consumer support.

Read that you mentioned in your earlier post #3 needing help adding pics to a post, here are the steps in case you'd like to upload some images:

Thanks,
Sensei

Sensei(@ TMU Team)
Attachments:

13 Jan 2020 14:38 #9 by Latex Mattress Factory.
Hi again Leegin, most covers can accommodate plus or minus an inch without any issues, but you're welcome to put the 3" medium in the cover as the bottom layer that's in the cover, then put the 2" soft outside the cover and underneath mattress, but that will change the feel and I wouldn't be able to say in advance if it will provide the feel you're looking for, it may be a bit too firm, but the biggest advantage of having a layered latex mattress is that you have tons of options to get the mattress dialed in so let us know how it goes and we'll proceed from there!

Latex Mattress Factory
Please read The Mattress Shopping Tutorial.
Click here for TMU Discount Codes if purchasing from Trusted Members.

07 Feb 2020 05:35 #10 by Leegin
Replied by Leegin on topic latex layers hammocking
Hi LMF,
We have tried about every combination of the 4 layers, including your suggestions and nothing seems to provide comfortable sleep. Now I'm going to try some options for an Avocado standard X-long twin that is in a guest room and try to make it work for me. The Avocado standard is too firm and doesn't provide pressure relief for me, but I really like that it doesn't sink in so much that it feels like I'm in a hammock. I tried Avocado's firm plush topper (D75/20-25 ILD), but again I felt like it was too plush and I had a sore lower back from the sinking/hammocking. We thought that we would try some of the layers from the Plush Beds bed (discussed in previous posts) on the Avocado and see what works. I feel like Goldilocks, but haven't found the right feel for good sleep yet. Any ideas on which layer to try? We have 2-inch soft Talalay, 2 inch medium Dunlop, 3 inch medium-firm Dunlop, and 3 inch Firm Dunlop. Thanks for any ideas!

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds

• FREE Consumer Subscription & Purchase Discounts

Offered to consumers who Create an Account to register on OUR FORUM to ask questions or share mattress related experiences. Additionally, TMU Consumer Subscribers receive discounts/bonuses from some of the best quality/value Mattress Manufacturers & Retailers in North America.

• CONNECTING Consumers with Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers

The Mattress Underground (TMU) website connects consumers with the most Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers throughout North America. All TMU Members have agreed to provide TMU consumer subscrilbers price discounts/bonus higher or equal to all other discounts offered on their own sites or throughout the Internet.

• For eCommerce purchases, please check here for the unique discount code(s) offered by each TMU Trusted member.
      • When purchasing locally simply present the referral certificate provided by the TMU Trusted Member linked above or mention “The Mattress Underground” when visiting their store.

• QUALITY Manufacturers & KNOWLEDGEABLE Retailers

The Business membership of this site is by invitation and is only offered when we are satisfied that what you offer places you in the upper tier of mattress manufacturers & retailers across North America in terms of quality, knowledge & transparency, and service. If you believe that your company meets the quality/value criteria please complete and submit the PMAF form here to start the review process.

Membership Requirements

• Membership Disclosure

The Mattress Underground offers free consumer subscription & paid membership for select mattress manufacturers or retailers. Member dues/fees are our source of income as The Mattress Underground is expensive to operate and employs people. For those manufacturers or retailers that have been invited to become members, and for any consumer that wishes to find their "best fit" mattress, we hope you choose to take advantage of what TMU offers as we believe the value of our services and information, our willingness and ability to work on behalf of and connect educated consumers with the better retailers and manufacturers across the US and Canada, are second to none on the internet. Mattress manufacturer and retailer memberships are available for companies that sell directly to consumers, but are by invitation only.

In order to ensure full transparency with our readers, we’d like to disclose the following about our member relationships:

• Consumers have free subscription but can voluntarily donate to help TMU operate.
    • Mattress retailers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees.
    • Mattress manufacturers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees
    More information about the benefits and services that TMU members receive can be found on the Our Services page of this website