mattressunderground logo
× Welcome to the Expert advice section of the forum. Any mattress questions are welcome.... but make sure you've read the Mattress Shopping tutorial linked in the top right of the page :)

Mattress for my Class A RV

15 Jan 2020 08:14 #1 by Bobfnbw
Have had many mattresses over the years from air beds, to water beds, to spring coils and memory foam. Sleep now on a 10 year old memory foam bed in a box mattress that I have been very happy with till late. I'm 6`1" and 250 lbs. Wife is 5`6" and 120 lbs. Both are mainly side sleepers.
But my question is about my RV. The 1999 Foretravel class A diesel pusher mattress is original. Coil mattress. Its fairly comfortable, but needs replacement. It sits on top of a plywood base with a large diesel engine under. There is insulation there, but still can get warm. Head room is a issue with a ceiling fan above, so not real thick mattresses are good there.
I once bought a latex topper on amazon that might have been to soft, and had to send it back. So I am a bit hesitant on latex, but want a natural product, and is comfortable. I like to sleep and take naps, and at 61 seem to need it more. I retire this year and plan on sleeping on this RV mattress 90%.
So my question is about latex on that kind of surface. Will it have issues with the heat? I was planning on a 9" mattress with multiple latex densities and wool top. I also am going to install a Froli sleep system traveler. Its a series of thermoplastic springs that sit under the mattress giving some spring to it, while allowing air to circulate under. You can customize the firmness of it. Built for boats originally, it can be used anywhere.
What densities of latex for each layer would be good/ideal in my situation?
Would the heat from the engine damage the latex or make it softer?
Should I have wool under the latex to insulate it?
Would 9-10 inches be sufficient for my weight and style of sleep?
What other thoughts would you have with this setup?
Did a search first but didn't find anything like my situation.
Thanks for your time to ponder these questions.....
Bob

15 Jan 2020 16:56 #2 by Latex Mattress Factory.
Hi Bobfnbw and thanks for reaching out! a 9" or 10" latex mattress would be perfectly fine for anyone under 300 pounds so there's no problem there. Using a latex mattress in a high-heat environment will cause it to break down sooner than normal, and it could break down much sooner than normal. I wouldn't be able to say in advance how much sooner, and having wool between the foundation and the mattress will help slow the process down, but I wouldn't be able to say how much it will help. I would say the same thing for the Froli sleep system as well. My best advice would be to consider a poly-foam mattress (I would stay away from memory foam) because poly-foam mattresses will last longer than latex and memory foam in that environment.

I'd be happy to make a recommendation for the layer configuration, but first, if you don't mind me asking, do either of you have anything like fibromyalgia, shingles, chronic hip pain, chronic shoulder pain, or anything where you're especially sensitive to pressure? Do either of you prefer an especially soft or especially firm mattress?

Latex Mattress Factory
Please read The Mattress Shopping Tutorial.
Click here for TMU Discount Codes if purchasing from Trusted Members.

15 Jan 2020 19:56 #3 by Bobfnbw
Replied by Bobfnbw on topic Mattress for my Class A RV
thank you for your response. I suspected something like heat and latex might not be the best.
Yes, I have both chronic hip and back pain, also a bad neck. Wife has less of that but has had knee surgery. I don't like a real soft mattress. The current one is a bit to hard IMO. Wonder if polyfoam as a base and a wool topper might work. But I would like to hear your recommendations. I would like to get at least 10 years out of the next mattress. Still want the froli system to keep air circulating under the mattress.Thanks for taking the time.
Bob

16 Jan 2020 14:21 #4 by Sensei
Replied by Sensei on topic Mattress for my Class A RV
Hey Bob,

Welcome to the TMU Forum :) !

Thanks for your questions to expert trusted member Latex Mattress Factory regarding your RV mattress replacement project. LMF has deep knowledge/ experience in this category and will offer comfort suggestions to better guide you in the decision making process.

Thanks too @LatexMattressFactory for your quick response and excellent consumer support. Looking forward to hearing more of your process Bob, feel free to drop in with updates when you can.

Cheers,
Sensei

Sensei(@ TMU Team)

16 Jan 2020 16:26 #5 by Latex Mattress Factory.
OK thanks for the additional info. If you were to purchase an all-latex DIY mattress I would recommend medium Talalay over firm Talalay over extra firm Dunlop for your side of the mattress and soft Talalay over medium Dunlop over firm Dunlop for her side. However, since you’re looking for a mattress that will last 10 years while sitting right over a diesel engine, I don’t think latex will be the solution for you, and our warranty normally wouldn’t cover the mattress in such an environment (our DIY mattresses aren't covered by any warranty anyway). You’re welcome to try it if you’d like, it’s absolutely your decision, but I wouldn’t be able to make any promises in terms of longevity, and that goes for an all-latex mattress or even for our Luxerion, which is a latex and poly-foam hybrid. Your best bet may be to look at an RV website or ask the question in the general forum to see what other sleepers have done used in high-heat environments to get a 10-year mattress that is comfortable for both you and your wife.

Latex Mattress Factory
Please read The Mattress Shopping Tutorial.
Click here for TMU Discount Codes if purchasing from Trusted Members.

16 Jan 2020 19:18 #6 by Bobfnbw
Replied by Bobfnbw on topic Mattress for my Class A RV
OK. Thanks for your time and expertise.
Bob

• FREE Consumer Subscription & Purchase Discounts

Offered to consumers who Create an Account to register on OUR FORUM to ask questions or share mattress related experiences. Additionally, TMU Consumer Subscribers receive discounts/bonuses from some of the best quality/value Mattress Manufacturers & Retailers in North America.

• CONNECTING Consumers with Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers

The Mattress Underground (TMU) website connects consumers with the most Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers throughout North America. All TMU Members have agreed to provide TMU consumer subscrilbers price discounts/bonus higher or equal to all other discounts offered on their own sites or throughout the Internet.

• For eCommerce purchases, please check here for the unique discount code(s) offered by each TMU Trusted member.
      • When purchasing locally simply present the referral certificate provided by the TMU Trusted Member linked above or mention “The Mattress Underground” when visiting their store.

• QUALITY Manufacturers & KNOWLEDGEABLE Retailers

The Business membership of this site is by invitation and is only offered when we are satisfied that what you offer places you in the upper tier of mattress manufacturers & retailers across North America in terms of quality, knowledge & transparency, and service. If you believe that your company meets the quality/value criteria please complete and submit the PMAF form here to start the review process.

Membership Requirements

• Membership Disclosure

The Mattress Underground offers free consumer subscription & paid membership for select mattress manufacturers or retailers. Member dues/fees are our source of income as The Mattress Underground is expensive to operate and employs people. For those manufacturers or retailers that have been invited to become members, and for any consumer that wishes to find their "best fit" mattress, we hope you choose to take advantage of what TMU offers as we believe the value of our services and information, our willingness and ability to work on behalf of and connect educated consumers with the better retailers and manufacturers across the US and Canada, are second to none on the internet. Mattress manufacturer and retailer memberships are available for companies that sell directly to consumers, but are by invitation only.

In order to ensure full transparency with our readers, we’d like to disclose the following about our member relationships:

• Consumers have free subscription but can voluntarily donate to help TMU operate.
    • Mattress retailers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees.
    • Mattress manufacturers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees
    More information about the benefits and services that TMU members receive can be found on the Our Services page of this website