Our mission as a member of the Experts Forum is helping you get the information you seek so you can make an informed choice in your mattress purchase. We know how confusing and overwhelming it can be. It’s daunting because you absolutely want to get it right. It’s a very important purchase. After all, this is where you will be sleeping for years to come. By partnering with TMU, we hope we can be a helpful resource for you.
:) Sweet Dreams! :)
Go to Luma Sleep EXPERT Profile & Articles
Go to Luma Sleep BUSINESS Profile

Comfort Layer Question in my new Hybrid Mattress 16 Sep 2018 10:49 #1

I've been sleeping on my new Flexus hybrid for a month now. I don't hate it and I don't love it. I chose the medium 3" talalay comfort layer because I thought firm would be too firm and I've never been comfortable on a soft mattress. I am not sleeping well (never do) but have only awakened with knee and hip pain one time, where I used to experience this almost every night with my old innerspring mattress. That makes me think I'm on the right track. However, I don't feel much cushioning and I lay pretty much on top of the mattress (without settling in, and yes, I'm used to a memory foam topper). Is this the way a proper bed should feel? My time is running to return the comfort layer, which I can change out to soft for $65. That would be a one-time exchange, so if I decide it's too soft after trying it, I can't get my medium talalay back. Is 3" of soft talalay a lot softer than 3" of medium? And I'm
wondering... am I crazy to think I should look forward to going to bed and feeling the comfort of my mattress, or is my non-welcoming bed the way a mattress really should feel? Thanks for any comments or suggestions. Buying this bed was a confusing, overwhelming ordeal for an older person, and I can't believe I'm now having to revisit my choice. :(

Last edit: by Lexpoo. Reason: forgot to check reply notification box

Comfort Layer Question in my new Hybrid Mattress 17 Sep 2018 06:12 #2

Hello Lexpoo,

Thanks for reaching out to Luma Sleep with your concerns. You are not crazy to think you should look forward to going to bed and feeling the comfort of your mattress. It does sound like your new FLexus is an improvement over your old mattress. Luma Sleep often describes the difference in the feeling between Talalay latex and memory foam as "you sleep on latex, you sleep in memory foam". A softer comfort layer will likely give you more a the cushioning feeling you are accustomed to, the question will then be do you still have the support that has reduced your hip/leg pain.

Flexus is a Trusted Member of this site and may be best equipped to answer your questions about the benefits to expect from the comfort exchange. There is a 90-day return/refund policy, so you can exchange the comfort layer and if it does not make you look forward to going to bed, you still have time to address the return for a refund.

Hope this helps!

Team Luma
Team Luma ~ Luma Sleep™
Researching for a mattress?... read The Mattress Shopping Tutorial.
Click here for TMU Discount Codes if purchasing from Trusted Members

Comfort Layer Question in my new Hybrid Mattress 17 Sep 2018 16:50 #3

Thank you for your reply. I will give Flexus a call and see if they have any suggestions. I'm hoping to resolve this so I don't have to go back to square one with another bed. I'm tired (and need sleep!).

Comfort Layer Question in my new Hybrid Mattress 17 Sep 2018 18:16 #4

It's usually best to try to work things through the company you purchase from if you can. They do not want to lose the sale. As long as the customer service/responsiveness is professional, you will be more likely to be successful.

Team Luma
Team Luma ~ Luma Sleep™
Researching for a mattress?... read The Mattress Shopping Tutorial.
Click here for TMU Discount Codes if purchasing from Trusted Members

Comfort Layer Question in my new Hybrid Mattress 19 Sep 2018 20:54 #5

Thank you for your encouragement. I spoke with Henry at Flexus today and we're going to switch out the latex layer for a softer one. Hopefully, that will be just the ticket!

Comfort Layer Question in my new Hybrid Mattress 18 Apr 2021 06:54 #6

Hi Lexpoo,

I came across your post about your Flexus. I was wondering if the soft ended up working out for you. Did you go with dunlop or talaly?

I'm in a similar situation with a new latex/spring hybrid. I started off with the recommended soft talalay comfort layer but it was too soft. After a week of good sleep, reduced back pain and no pressure points my hips started sinking through it and it ended up causing hammocking. I dreaded going to bed. No position was comfortable.

I switched to a medium dunlop but it's really too firm for me with no cushioning while I lie on my side. I don't look forward to bedtime with the medium dunlop but I dreaded it with the soft talalay ...so I guess that's an improvement.

Moderators: Luma Sleep