mattressunderground logo
× Welcome to the Expert advice section of the forum. Any mattress questions are welcome.... but make sure you've read the Mattress Shopping tutorial linked in the top right of the page:)

normal Latex Mattress in Canada

23 Sep 2017 07:19 #1 by coolgod

Hi Everyone,
I just recently discovered this forum, and I am very glad I found you guys. I learnt so much by looking at the previous threads. I started my journey to find my dream Mattress. I am interested in a Latex Mattress, but I live in Canada. Out of all the big box stores I went only sleep country carried 1 non pocket coil mattress that contains Latex (that one was too firm). I was wondering does anyone know other stores within in the South western ontario area which have latex mattress for me to check out? I would be also ok with online retailers that ship to Canada, but I would like to try laying on another latex mattress first.
I don't like springs and I hate the sluggish response of memory foam mattress. Any good alternatives? I'm a side sleeper, 6'0", 150 lbs with big shoulders, so firm mattress really hurt my shoulders. I have only slept on medium/medium firm pocket coils previously but after trying soft mattresses in store (lying on there for 5 mins) I think I prefer soft. Would sleeping on soft mattress for a whole night be a lot more different than what I tried in stores? How does pure latex match up with foam and latex? I hate heating up on mattress, but I heard that latex has high retention, is this worse than memory foam? Can it be alleviated with special mattress covers? Sorry for the blurb of questions but I am moving very soon and is in a rush to buy a new bed. Thank you.

23 Sep 2017 11:08 #2 by Ekim70SS

Hello,
Having just recently purchase a new latex bed, after much research on this forum, I can recommend Dormio Organic Beds. There is a new store open in Kitchener as well as one in Mississauga, Toronto and in Vaughn. My wife and I dealt with Eric at the store in Kitchener and he was extremely accommodating and informative. They have ALL of the mattresses they offer setup in store for you to to try and they will go through the differences of each. They also have various dual comfort combinations setup so that you can feel the difference of mixing the layers, i.e. firm, medium and soft. We also received the mattress underground 5% discount which was appreciated. Bear in mind, you will pay more money for this type of mattress, however, having slept the last 2 nights on our new bed - it is awesome. If nothing else, a visit will at least provide you with useful information and a reference to other mattress options you look at. There is a listing of other retailers in Ontario posted elsewhere on this site, that's how I initially learned of Dormio. Good luck and thank you to Phoenix for this site and all of the useful unbiased insight.

23 Sep 2017 11:13 - 11 May 2018 13:12 #3 by Phoenix

Hi coolgod,

Welcome to the forum! :)

I’m glad that you’ve found us.

I’m not sure of the exact area where you are at, but you can perform a forum search for a specific town and see what businesses have been discussed here on the forum previously. The southern area of Ontario was also previously mentioned here . If you’re in Windsor, you may even consider visiting the Detroit-metro region.

I don't actually have a list of all manufacturers or online stores that ship across Canada but here are few site members that do:

Canadian site member manufacturers or retailers ...
Dormio Organic Beds
Memory Foam Comfort
The Mattress and Sleep Company
[url=halsteadSofa][/url]
US site member manufacturers and retailers that ship to Canada across the border ...
www.mattresses.net/
www.sleepez.com/
sleeponlatex.com/
www.rockymountainmattress.com/
www.nestbedding.com/

A mattress using all-latex or a polyfoam support core with latex on top could be an alternative for you. This would be more buoyant feeling than memory foam.

Of course, spending more time on a product will be much different than testing in a showroom, but latex does not get softer with body heat, so the feel of the product you would have tested in a showroom would be consistent with how it would feel in the middle of the night.

How does pure latex match up with foam and latex?

A latex support core is more durable, more resilient, more elastic, more adaptable to different weights and shapes and sleeping positions, more supportive (it has a higher compression modulus so it gets firmer faster with compression), more "natural", and has a different more "springy" and responsive feel than polyfoam. It is a higher performance material. Of course, it is also more expensive than a polyfoam core and for some people ... a latex hybrid which has the benefits and "feel" of latex in the upper layers (the top 3" - 6" which are the most subject to wear and tear and contribute more to the overall "feel" of a mattress) is worth the cost tradeoff. For others, it isn't.

I’m not sure where you had read that, but it would be incorrect. Latex, specifically Talalay latex, is generally the most breathable of all foams, followed by polyfoam and then memory foam. All foams are insulators to some degree, and a mattress that is very plush can tend to feel warmer than one that is firm, as you would be “in” the plush mattress more and “on” the firm one more, exposing less of your surface area for heat exchange on the plush model. An all-foam mattress can also tend to be less breathable than one that has an innerspring support core.

There are many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system and post #2 here can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

Last Edit: 11 May 2018 13:12 by Phoenix. Reason: Link Edit

24 Sep 2017 15:31 #4 by Phoenix

Hi Ekim70SS,

Welcome to the forum! :)

And congratulations on your new mattress. :cheer: I'm glad that you had a good experience at Dormio, and I'm glad that you were able to receive your Mattress Underground discount.

What item did you purchase in their line?

24 Sep 2017 17:34 #5 by Ekim70SS

Hello Phoenix!
I just want to thank you again for creating this site and the vast wealth of information contained within it. We ultimately decided to go with the Dormio Cambridge Mattress as well as the Dormio Premium Plus Foundation. I know we must have spent at least 6-7 hrs at the store over three separate visits. We really like the idea of being able to fine tune the mattress at any point of our choosing. From placing the order to delivery it only took 3 weeks, so we were more than pleased to get our new bed so quickly. We also purchased a set of Dormio Royal Latex Pillows. It was an investment, however, it is nice to wake up in the morning feeling 'rested' rather than having aches and pains you didn't have when you turned in the night before :).

25 Sep 2017 08:36 - 25 Sep 2017 08:37 #6 by Phoenix

Hi Ekim70SS,

Thanks for the reply.

You certainly chose an item using good quality and durable materials in the Dormio Cambridge.

I am hoping to learn about how your new mattress is working out for you after you've had a chance to sleep upon it for a while longer.

Last Edit: 25 Sep 2017 08:37 by Phoenix.

29 Sep 2017 10:07 #7 by coolgod

Thank you very much for your replies. Yours links really helped me out a lot. I checked out all the latex mattress stores in the kitchener/waterloo area. I eventually found online latex suppliers listed in another post by Phoenix to be the best for me in terms of value and customizability. I purchased the 10" NATURAL Latex Mattress King split All Natural Talalay cores, 3 inch soft comfort, 3 inch soft core, 3 inch medium core and 1 inch cotton+ wool cover. Can't wait to try it out.

I am looking at bedframes and foundations now. I like my bed high and I thought this 18 inch smart was pretty good. I am worried about the wire grid though, the gaps seem a bit big. In previous post Phoenix recommended a thick foam layer or some sort of vinyl lattice underneath. I was wondering can you expand a little more on what kind of material should I put under the latex mattress. I don't like the memory foam slow response, which is why I opted for latex. Would this effect occur if I used polyfoam? Can you also give me some more details about the covers you were talking about, the previous links don't work.

There is a local foam factory (thefoamstore) and they make custom foam, if I wanted a layer of foam just for the purpose of preventing damage to the latex, what kind of foam should I tell them to make.?

29 Sep 2017 11:20 #8 by Phoenix

Hi coolgod,

Congratulations on your new mattress purchase! :cheer: I’ll be interested in learning more about it after you’ve had your chance to sleep upon it for a while. Did you phone the manufacturer for advice before placing your order?

I think I gave some good ideas in the post you linked. I’ll copy them here again for you:

Some of the wire grid foundations come with a cover like this or which can be purchased separately (which may also fit other wire grid foundations of the same type) which would add a little bit of extra support in the gaps between the wires which I think would be a slight improvement. If I was to purchase one of these with an all latex mattress though (where there was latex directly on the wires) and in thinking about what I would do personally ... my tendency would be to either buy a good quality cover using a woven (non stretchy), thick fabric or purchase my own fabric and attach it as tightly as I could to the top of the wire grid so that the surface was more evenly supportive.

Other options that may be even better yet would include adding an inch or two of very firm polyfoam in between the mattress and foundation (or reticulated form which is more breathable) or adding a rubberized coir bed rug like this or something like the vinyl lattice here (thanks to srockrae for the suggestion).

If you’re thinking of putting foam beneath the mattress and on top of the wire grid network, a 1”-2” piece of a high-density very firm (high IFD) polyfoam that was very reticulated would do a good job (any good foam supplier will understand what you're attempting to do and understand what I'm suggesting her). A coir bed rug at 1” is also a nice option. Both would work well, as I agree the gaps in the wire grid network are a little larger than what I would recommend for a new latex mattress.

29 Sep 2017 13:29 #9 by coolgod

Hi Phoenix,
I called the manufacturer and they mostly recommended medium or soft/medium/firm combo, but said it could work in my case. I also ended up getting the zinus 18inch platform bed , it was a tall slatted bed. I will definitely keep everyone updated on the bed + Mattress. Thanks again for all your help Phoenix in creating this site and sharing your in-depth knowledge on mattresses. I could not have made an informed indecision without TMU. :)

29 Sep 2017 16:30 #10 by Phoenix

Hi coolgod,

Thanks for the update. I hope you remembered to get your TMU discount if you purchased from one of the site members.

You're most welcome, and thank you for the kind words!