mattressunderground logo
× Welcome to the Expert advice section of the forum. Any mattress questions are welcome.... but make sure you've read the Mattress Shopping tutorial linked in the top right of the page :)

Latex layering strategy

01 Nov 2019 21:08 #1 by abc123
Hello, I'm new to the forum. I'm planning to buy a latex mattress. I saw that it's strongly recommended to try the mattress in person. In my area I was able to find Pure Talalay Bliss mattresses to try. I tried the Pamper, Nutrition, and Beautiful. I liked Pamper better by far: specs below, from a post by Phoenix (thanks Phoenix, if you see this :) ), the others were too soft. I did try the Pamper with an additional 2" (I'm assuming soft) topper from Talalay Bliss, but I liked the mattress better without the additional topper. I'm looking for a mattress build that would best match the Pamper mattress. I was originally planning to purchase dunlop latex. I understand dunlop vs talalay mattresses feel different, I guess my question is how noticeable is that difference for most people. I also understand that dunlop mattresses are more of a "range" of ILD. As a core for the mattress, do you think the range of the 44 ILD of your extra firm dunlop latex be more similar to the 40 ILD talalay latex of the Pamper or would I likely be better off with the firm dunlop latex (37-40 ILD)?

**(8") Pamper- AF all latex / NaturalTalalay
2" ActiveFusion Fast Natural Talalay 21 ILD
6" Natural Talalay Latex Support Core 40 ILD

(12") Beautiful- AF all latex / Natural Talalay
3" ActiveFusion Fast Natural Talalay 15 ILD (NOTE: this was previously listed as 21 ILD which means that I was either given incorrect information or it has changed)
3" Natural Talalay Pressure Relief 24 ILD
6" Natural Talalay Latex Support Core 36 ILD

(11") Nutrition / Natural Talalay
3" ActiveFusion Fast Natural Talalay 28 ILD
2" Natural Talalay Pressure Relief 19 ILD
6" Natural Talalay Latex Support Core 36 ILD

About me: I'm primarily a back sleeper and occasional side sleeper (if the mattress is soft I'm more likely to toss and turn and end up on my side... with shoulder pain in the morning). I'm 5'8 and 145lbs.

Thank you!

03 Nov 2019 14:27 #2 by Sensei
Replied by Sensei on topic Latex layering strategy
Hey abc123,

Welcome to the Mattress Underground :) ! Thanks for joining the group and for your question.

I'm planning to buy a latex mattress. I saw that it's strongly recommended to try the mattress in person. In my area I was able to find Pure Talalay Bliss mattresses to try. I tried the Pamper, Nutrition, and Beautiful. I liked Pamper better by far: specs below, from a post by Phoenix (thanks Phoenix, if you see this), the others were too soft... I'm looking for a mattress build that would best match the Pamper mattress. I was originally planning to purchase dunlop latex. I understand dunlop vs talalay mattresses feel different, I guess my question is how noticeable is that difference for most people.

This is a good question. A 40 ILD talalay latex support core is generally considered from a firmness standpoint comparable to a 44 ILD dunlop support core, the difference being talalay's more "uplifting" feeling. That said, whether talalay latex vs dunlop latex, ultimately it would be different for how you feel vs. how someone else feels.

Here is some helpful guidance regarding "feel" from Phoenix's post others may find helpful as well, Latex Mattress Choices post #4 : "There is absolutely no consensus even among the most knowledgeable people in the industry about the "best" material for any person or circumstances but there is consensus that no matter what materials you choose that PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) is the "best" way to choose and that higher quality materials will last longer than lower quality materials. I would personally prefer all latex for example because it has the unique quality of being both soft, supportive, and durable and many other benefits that are important to me but this would only be a benefit for someone who could feel the difference between a latex support core and a polyfoam support core and would benefit from the differences and of course whose budget allowed it or for someone who even likes the "feel" of latex in the first place (which certainly doesn't include everyone). While this may be my preference ... others who are just as knowledgeable would argue strongly for the benefits of a different choice or combination of materials or components and some may not even feel or notice the difference between them."

Just curious, where did you try the Pure Talalay Bliss mattresses in your area?

Thanks,
Sensei

Sensei(@ TMU Team)

04 Nov 2019 10:27 #3 by Sleep EZ
Replied by Sleep EZ on topic Latex layering strategy
Hi abc123, I just wanted to add a quick note - the mattresses you tried in the store have a 4-way stretch cover, so I think it's important that the mattress you purchase also has a 4-way stretch cover because of the unique feel it provides. Anything you have between yourself and the latex will affect the way you contour into the latex, making for a different feel. With a thicker cover like a 1" cotton & wool cover, you won't sink into the latex as much which will make for a firmer feel, so the mattress won’t have as much give to it and wouldn’t be as good at pressure relief on your hips and shoulders. If you order a mattress from Sleep EZ you would just order our 9” mattress but mention in the “comments” section at checkout that you want the 4-way stretch cover (which would put the thickness at 8” thick just like the mattress you tried). Regarding the difference between Talalay and Dunlop, it may be best to stick with all Talalay if you tried and liked an all Talalay mattress. Of course, if you order an all Talalay mattress from us and find that you wish you had gotten a Dunlop layer in the mattress build, just call us and we’ll send you a layer exchange within the first 90 days for just $30. But if you tried all Talalay in 2” of 21 ILD over 6” of 40 ILD and found that you liked it, I think that would be the best place for you to start, and then you can adjust from there if needed.

Sleep EZ & Kiss Mattress Ph: (800) 710-9846 / (480) 966-8731
Please read The Mattress Shopping Tutorial.
Click here for TMU Discount Codes if purchasing from Trusted Members.

08 Nov 2019 18:59 #4 by abc123
Replied by abc123 on topic Latex layering strategy
Thank you for your replies.

Sensei: I tried the pamper mattress at naples mattress (southwest florida). I was unable to find a dunlop mattress to try locally. I tried a memory foam mattress, a spring mattress, and a latex-spring hybrid mattress as well and liked the pamper mattress the best. I felt like I sunk too far into the memory foam mattress (tempur-pedic firm). I found a mattress sold by SleepOnLatex, 6" 44 ILD with a 2" comfort layer (I don't know the comfort layer's ILD), this mattress seems most similar to the pamper mattress I was looking at. A lot of reviews I've seen for it note that it is too firm. So I might purchase 3" toppers from Sleep Ez. I can purchase a 3" layer of firm and 2" of soft. Then sleep on these layers for a while, and if its too firm I can purchase a 3" medium layer, or if I like the firmness purchase another 3" layer of the firm or extra firm. I feel like I can trial and error better this way.

The Sleep Ez toppers can come with a stretch cotton cover. From what I read on the forum having a good cover can extend the life of the latex. Do you know if this cover would be adequate, or would a thicker cover be better for the latex? Sleep Ez had recommended on this post to stay with a stretch cotton cover, so as long as it doesn't decrease the life of the latex, I'd like to stick with the stretch cotton cover.

Sleep Ez: Are your stretch cotton covers also okeo-tex certified?

Thank you!

08 Nov 2019 19:49 - 08 Nov 2019 19:51 #5 by Sweet Dreams
The Sleep On Latex mattress you're describing would be their Standard Firm, which consists of a 44 ILD 6" base with a 2" 30 ILD top layer all of natural Dunlop latex in a cotton and wool cover. I've tried it and even being 6'4"/300lbs I found it to be extremely firm in feel but it did provide great support. Clearly more of a sleep on it mattress compared to softer models which you tend to sleep in.
Last edit: 08 Nov 2019 19:51 by Sweet Dreams.

08 Nov 2019 20:48 #6 by abc123
Replied by abc123 on topic Latex layering strategy
Sweet Dreams: Thank you for your input. I was worried the sleep on latex mattress would be too firm, especially since Sleep Ez above mentioned a thicker cover can give a firmer feel. And I didn't realize the comfort layer was medium firm. I was thinking of going for a Sleep Ez 3" firm layer and a Sleep Ez 2" soft layer, then getting a 3" medium layer if this was too firm. I went back and read your previous post though, where you had mentioned you added another medium layer on top of the sleep on latex standard firm, and found that you sunk too far into the combined 4" medium comfort layer. As a back sleeper I only want a 2" comfort layer, or my hips keep sinking and my upper body doesn't, throwing my alignment off. So maybe it isn't the best idea to count on using an additional medium layer if the firm layer I order is too firm.

09 Nov 2019 04:30 - 09 Nov 2019 04:33 #7 by Sweet Dreams
abc123 - Looks like you've got this pretty well thought out! I should point out that even though 4" of 30ILD caused me alignment issues I do weigh twice as much as you. 44ILD is considered extra firm and usually only recommended as a base for those much heavier than you. I'd suggest following the advice you can get directly from Sleep EZ since they'd have the most experience with their products and how they could best suit your specific size and needs. Best of luck!
Last edit: 09 Nov 2019 04:33 by Sweet Dreams.

• FREE Consumer Membership & Price Discounts

Offered to consumers who Create an Account to register on OUR FORUM to ask questions or share mattress related experiences. Additionally, Consumer Members of TMU will receive discounts/bonuses from some of the best quality/value Mattress Manufacturers in North America.

• CONNECTING Consumers with Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers

The Mattress Underground (TMU) website connects consumers with the most Trusted Manufacturers & Retailers throughout North America. All TMU Members have agreed to provide TMU consumer members price discounts/bonus higher or equal to all other discounts offered throughout the Internet.

• For eCommerce purchases, please check here for the unique discount code(s) offered by each of the TMU Trusted members.
      • When purchasing locally simply present the referral certificate provided by the TMU Trusted Member linked above or mention “The Mattress Underground” when visiting their store.

• QUALITY Manufacturers & KNOWLEDGEABLE Retailers

The Business membership of this site is by invitation only and is only offered when we are satisfied that what you offer places you in the upper tier of mattress manufacturers & retailers across North America in terms of quality, knowledge & transparency, and service. If you believe that your company meets the quality/value criteria please complete and submit the PMAF form here to start the review process.

Membership Requirements

• Membership Disclosure

The Mattress Underground offers free consumer membership & paid membership for select mattress manufacturers or retailers. Member dues/fees are our source of income as The Mattress Underground is expensive to operate and employs people. For those manufacturers or retailers that have been invited to become members, and for any consumer that wishes to find their "best fit" mattress, we hope you choose to take advantage of what TMU offers as we believe the value of our services and information, our willingness and ability to work on behalf of and connect educated consumers with the better retailers and manufacturers across the US and Canada, are second to none on the internet. Mattress manufacturer and retailer memberships are available for companies that sell directly to consumers, but are by invitation only.

In order to ensure full transparency with our readers, we’d like to disclose the following about our member relationships:

• Consumer have free membership but can voluntarily donate to helping TMU operate.
    • Mattress retailers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees.
    • Mattress manufacturers that qualify to be a Trusted Member pay monthly dues/fees
    More information about the benefits and services that TMU members receive can be found on the Our Services page of this website