In this section of The Mattress Underground (TMU) website you will find a great deal of basic, and not so basic information designed to help you understand everything you will need to know to find your perfect mattress. These sections, each of them written from a different perspective and covering different areas of mattress construction and choices, will reinforce each other and will give you an excellent level of knowledge about what to look for in a mattress that is perfect for you.
There are two ways to use this section and either way it is designed to be progressive in the level of detail and the depth of understanding you will have when you are done.
First for those that are in a hurry, simply read the overviews and then go shopping. The overviews will give you the knowledge you need to ask much better questions and to know when you are being told the truth and when you are being "sold" with misleading information. You will already have more information and knowledge than most people who sell mattresses. The overviews will give you the ability to make some very good choices with the help of a knowledgeable salesperson that you trust. You will know in general terms what they are talking about no matter what they choose to tell you. This is a good level of knowledge and information for those who wish to choose a mattress "with some help" and know of a person or retail outlet that is very knowledgeable and they can trust to help them.
The second method is to first read the overviews and then go back and read the individual pages in each section. This is the best way for those who want far more detailed information than the overviews and/or who want to do it all themselves. It is ideal for those who plan to buy a mattress without lying on it first, who have the time and desire to go into more depth, or who are simply curious about what makes up the absolute best mattress for their circumstances. Like the overviews, they cover information that you will rarely see anywhere else on the web or in a retail outlet but unlike the overviews, they go into them in more depth.
After reading the overviews, you will know and understand more about mattresses than most of the salespeople who will be helping you to buy one and you may find you will end up educating them more than they will end up helping you. After reading the more detailed pages, you may even be offered a job :).
Those rare outlets with the knowledge and commitment to service where this is not true (usually smaller and more specialized sleep shops and some factory direct local and regional outlets), will appreciate what you have learned and be able to help you use your knowledge in combination with theirs to buy a much better mattress.
Of course The Industry section of TMU website will also give you much more information about the types of retail outlets that offer the best value and questions in TMU forum can provide even more specific help here as well.
These "basic" sections and what they cover are:
1. The basic functions of a mattress. A detailed overview of the basic functions of a mattress. This is the best place to start.
2. Mattress support cores. An overview and more detailed pages about the 5 different types of mattress support layers and the strengths and weaknesses of each.
3. Mattress comfort layers. An overview and more detailed pages about the 6 most common types of comfort layers used in a mattress and the strengths and weaknesses of each.
4. Putting the layers together. An overview and more detailed pages about the 3 different ways the layers are combined, the other layers that will complete your mattress, and how they work together.
5. Your style, preferences, and statistics. An overview and more detailed pages about how your own individual differences and preferences can affect your choice of mattress and the materials in it.
6. Five steps to your perfect mattress. An overview and more detailed pages about a simple and effective method to take your knowledge "into the field" and use it to test different mattresses and find the one that is best for you.
In addition to these basic overviews (that you may discover are not so "basic") TMU Forum is always available to you if you come across anything that is unclear, have questions that need answering, or need advice regarding your own personal circumstances or mattress needs. We welcome you to join us there.